[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] More on my sick 2500/30

FINEBERG@WUMS2.WUSTL.EDU (Charlie Fineberg) (05/31/91)

  Well I know that all of you are probably dying to hear about what I have
done to attempt to fix my 2500/30 and I just can't disappoint you.  To
recap, this was the problem.  My 2000 w/A2630 + 4M (the last two socketed
yeah!) with 2 floppies and no hard disk (long story...) was merrily playing
Lords of the Rising Sun last Saturday afternoon.  When suddenly the pointer
started adapting to mouse movements more and more slowly.  The entire
machine hung up (with one of the nice images from the game on the screen).
It wouldn't respond to a cold reboot or any mouse/key/disk change.  When I
power cycled I got three quick flashes of the power LED and then Dk Grey,
Lt. Grey and nothing.  Still nothing to this very moment.
  Well what have you done between then and now?  After all you consider
yourself a college educated digital engineer and have been fixing DEC bus
based systems (Q and UNI) for over half a decade.  Why isn't it working
yet?  Well a friend of mine has an A2000 which is not responding to
horizontal mouse movements but is otherwise working.  He let me swap chips
to find out both what is wrong with his system and with mine.  Let me list
what we swapped from one system to the other without changing the behaviour
of either machine.  (What is socketed on our mother boards?)
	BUSTER
	DENISE
	PAULA
	68000
	ROM
I had a fun evening.
  Anyway, I didn't have the equipment or patience to swap Agnus (we both
have 512K FANG).  Does this mean that the offender must be Agnus on my
board?  (And yes I realize that U202 is probably the culprit for his
mouse problems).  And thanks to all those who told me to reseat the chips.
I should have done that before I complained net wide, but it motivated me
to be rigorous.  I actually thoroughly cleaned the board too.
  Any help from any quarter gladly accepted!
	Charlie
--
Charlie Fineberg	Biochemistry Dept., Wash. U. Sch. of Medicine (WUMS)
Box 8231, 4566 Scott Ave.		  BITNET: FINEBERG@WUMS

FINEBERG@WUMS2.WUSTL.EDU (Charlie Fineberg) (05/31/91)

Mark Gooderum was kind enough to help me specify my plight more directly...
>> Lt. Grey and nothing.  Still nothing to this very moment.
>
>Hmmm.
>
>> yet?  Well a friend of mine has an A2000 which is not responding to
>> horizontal mouse movements but is otherwise working.
>
>Did he check that it is ideed the machine, and not just the mouse, and
>whether it is one or both ports?  (You can get Intuition to switch
>ports 0 and 1 with a left-Amiga-P).

  I didn't know about left-Amiga-P but I did know about setmouse2 and used
it.  It worked correctly.  But many games (and my accelerator boards rom)
don't recognize the right port...

>>  He let me swap chips
>> to find out both what is wrong with his system and with mine.  Let me list
>> what we swapped from one system to the other without changing the behaviour
>> of either machine.  (What is socketed on our mother boards?)
>>         BUSTER
>>         DENISE
>>         PAULA
>>         68000
>>         ROM
>
>Of course the Mouse X/Y registers are on Paula.  However, the
					  ^^^^^
  The way I read the apendices of _Introduction_to_the_Amiga_2000_ (the
book that came with my 2000), it says that Paula does all of the A/D and
D/A.  So it does the audio channels the analog joystick channels and some
disk control.  Denise does the mouse ports.  The signals are M0H, M1H, M0V
and M1V.  But since I was being thorough...

>quadrature pulses go through some multiplexors before they get to
>Paula (I think).  You didn't mention the CIAs.  They don't deal with
>the X/Y but they do deal with the mouse buttons and the system time
>clocks.  My 1000 had similar problems and it turned out to be one of
>the CIAs.

Is that the mouse problem or the system hangup problem.  The mouse
quadrature signals all go through U202 which is a 74ls157.  I think that is
just a mux which is toggled (indirectly) by left_Amiga-P.

>> have 512K FANG).  Does this mean that the offender must be Agnus on my
>> board?
>
>Well, if you system is totally hosed and refuses to boot, Agnus could
>indeed be the problem.  I wouldn't try swapping w/o a proper PLCC
>extractor though.  Agnus can take it, but the sockets tend to be fragile.

Yeah, I'm hoping I can find a GAC (Gateway Amiga Club) member who has made
the upgrade already and will let me borrow their old Agnus and the
puller...

>You also of course removed all peripheral boards, (inc. 2630) to
>elminate them as culprits?

Oops.  I should have mentioned that right off.  Yes, my current test is
with power supply and monitor attached.  Nothing else.  I can do more tests
per minute that way.

Has anyone had their system behave the way mine has and known that it is
independent of all of those chips I swapped?

>Bitnet:   MARKV@UKANVAX         \/\/  /    | |  | | |__| /   \ possible...
>Internet: markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

And Mark, hurry back to the net.  Your ability to eloquently answer
questions posed (especially to i-amiga) has made it easy for me to get some
work done.  "I don't have to answer that one, Mark will!"
	Charlie 	fineberg@wums2.wustl.edu, fineberg@wums2.bitnet

dvlrab@cs.umu.se (Roger Abrahamsson) (05/31/91)

Well, it sounds almost like the problem I had a while ago on my A2000, and
it turned out to be one of the CIA's. The system just hung up sometimes, some
programs just crashed and the DTR to the modem refused to work.. When I
swapped CIA's the keyboard went away and the caps-lock led flickered just
fine.. Just try and swap the two CIA's and see the effect, I't might not
be those who are faulty, but better make sure. They seem to break very
easily and isn't that expensive, (compared to the AGNUS).

/Roger

monty@sagpd1 (05/31/91)

    Have you checked all of the power supply voltages? Sometimes a switcher
    will "brown out" and leave all or some voltages low. This can cause many
    wierd problems.

    Monty Saine

FINEBERG@WUMS2.WUSTL.EDU (Charlie Fineberg) (06/04/91)

Yet another update on my still sick 2500/30...
  Mark Gooderum (he just moved so I don't have a valid address) and
dvlrab@cs.umu.se (Roger Abrahamsson) both suggested that the CIAs caused a
similar problem on their machines.  So I swapped them and no go.  Exact
same symptoms.  And this is not an occasional hang with no response it is
getting stuck on the (I think, now that I have stared at a vanilla 2000's
startup sequence for a while) the white screen that I am stuck on.  It
seems actually to get through an initial flicker and then a dark grey and
light grey before hanging on the white screen.  No other response, with or
without the A2630 card in (well the power light only changes intensity once
with the 2630 out...)

  monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) wrote that I should check the power
levels.  What is the correct way to do this?  In the past I've used one of
the free connectors off of the power supply while the main connector was
connected to the mother board.  Is this adequate?

  And now for the really frustrating one.  I thought that I had debugged my
friends machine.  So I desoldered and soldered on a new U202 74LS157 that
multiplexes the signals from denise to the mouse.  And when I powered back
on it seemed to be working (not that I hadn't gotten that response for a
few seconds from the old chip too) but then horizontal movement disappeared
again.

  To recap: On both machines the problem is not
	Denise
	Paula
	Gary
	Buster
	Rom
	68000
because I swapped them from one machine to the other and both machines
behave the same as they did before.  I have tried swapping the two CIAs on
my 2000 and still have had no luck.  I am still hunting and very
frustrated.  Anyone want to sell me an old Agnus and chip puller?
Anyone want two A2000's cheap?  Aaargh.
  I am a frustrated cowpoke people.
	Charlie
--
Thats fineberg@wums2.bitnet or fineberg@wums2.wustl.edu in dog years!
--
Charlie Fineberg	Biochemistry Dept., Wash. U. Sch. of Medicine (WUMS)
Box 8231, 4566 Scott Ave.		  BITNET: FINEBERG@WUMS
St. Louis, MO 63110			internet: fineberg@wums2.wustl.edu
"The younger Mr. Popplewick is not permitted to expect anybody" - Mr. Popplewick

In article <9106040619.AA27553@wugate.wustl.edu> FINEBERG@WUMS2.WUSTL.EDU (Charlie Fineberg) writes:
>Yet another update on my still sick 2500/30...

Well, I fear this won't apply to your case, but it may serve as a lesson
for me and some others. Only recently we came across a hardware error
that was thought to have disappeared for years but now happened again:

We had an A2000 where no AT Bridgeboard wanted to work at all. All the
bridgeboards worked well in other Amigas, but not in this one. (Similar
things might happen to cards in the CPU slot, but then your error
should disappear when you take out the A2630.) Finally we found that
this was due to a very old version of the casing, more precisely the
bottom part of it. There is one more place (like a nut, I don't know
the precise English word) in the bottom to receive a screw to fasten
the mainboard on the bottom. Now in newer boards there is no hole in
this place, but normal traces. If you now insert a card, the board is
slightly bent, and the traces touch this post (metal) and get shorted.
Luckily this doesn't damage anything, only keeps the bus lines there
from working. - So the general hint: Just look under your mainboard
and search for posts that don't align with a screw. If you find any,
use insulating tape to "debug" it.

In article <9106040619.AA27553@wugate.wustl.edu> FINEBERG@WUMS2.WUSTL.EDU (Charlie Fineberg) writes:

>  To recap: On both machines the problem is not
>	Denise
>	Paula
>	Gary
>	Buster
>	Rom
>	68000
>because I swapped them from one machine to the other and both machines
>behave the same as they did before.  I have tried swapping the two CIAs on
>my 2000 and still have had no luck.  I am still hunting and very
>frustrated.  Anyone want to sell me an old Agnus and chip puller?
>Anyone want two A2000's cheap?  Aaargh.

Chip swapping, while the easier way to track down problems, is also about the
worst way to go about it, unless you have a very obvious indication that a
particular chip is bad.  If you don't, you'll only be lucky if you find the
problem.

Obviously, not everyone's a computer designer (though, of course, our lab and
production technicians, along with an unknown number of field service people,
undoubtedly debug these things a zillion times faster than the folks who built
them, since they have practice and know what goes wrong, where all we know is
how the thing works) with access to 'scopes and analyzers.

First thing you do is check out anything that you might have changed in the
system.  Did you plug in a new peripheral?  Hook up that printer last night
with the power on?  Recently add plug-in memory?  Change Agnus chips?  Have
any thunderstorms or power surges?  Computers do sometimes "just fail", if
a marginal part finally makes it under the margin for good.  But most of the
time, something causes the problem.

Being that volt meters are common, though, I always recommend that early on,
you check the computer's voltage, at a remote point on the motherboard or,
better yet, an expansion card if you have one.  The voltage should read just
about exactly 5V, with everything turned on.  A computer could work just
dandy for years, just on the edge of the margin, then get flakey as soon as
one more little thing is attached.

Zapping your system somehow is annoying, since it can get many different
parts of the system, but some are more commonly clobbered than others.  If
you mis-plug something in a floppy or parallel port, you can damage either
CIA chip.  If you mis-plug the video port, you might zap a small decoupling
resistor that links Denise to the main voltage supply.  I've even heard of
someone zapping the protection diode on the "+12V_User" supply, which is
had at the video or serial ports.  It's also technically possible to destroy
Agnus (via the video port) or Paula (via the serial or mouse ports) from
the outside, though this happens less often than a zap of an 8520, if for no
other reason in that there are about 10 CIA pins for every one Agnus/Paula pin
at these ports, so the CIAs are a bigger target.

After that, remove EVERYTHING that's hooked to the system except for the
monitor, keyboard, and floppy.  If it still fails, you can attack the
problem methodically.  Of course, it's much better with a 'scope, then you
can follow things very closely.  You check to make sure you have all the
proper clocks running.  You check to make sure the OVL pin is going low out
of the 8520 (this can be checked with a logic probe, even).  Check the TICK
signal going into the CIA, that can prevent the system from coming up.
Check the RESET* signal and make sure its high.  Check for activity of some
kind on the 68000's AS* and DTACK* lines.  Check the ROM chip select for
activity.

And finally, even experienced hackers can't solve every possible problem.
Unless you know the system inside and out, and have the equipment to trace
though the whole operation, you may not be able to determine what has gone
wrong.  At some point, you need your computer back in working order.  You
may have to take it to a service center, plain and simple.

>Charlie Fineberg	Biochemistry Dept., Wash. U. Sch. of Medicine (WUMS)
	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.