[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] HP97544 380 Meg drive on Hardframe

goldstein@arrods.enet.dec.com (Steve Goldstein) (05/31/91)

	I've finally got my HP 97544 380 Meg harddisk working BUT.....

	I'm using the Microbotics HardFrame and found that I couldn't
	Format the drive ... The HardFrame is at the latest rev (V1.9)

	It was O.K. Low-level formatting....

	It was O.K. adding RDB using RDPrep I created 4 partions...

	The on the reboot I tried to format the drive and it failed after
	approx 3-4 cylinders...(Highlighted disk the used the Workbench Disk
	Init)

	I then tried formatting from the CLI failed again UNTIL I put the
	QUICK flag on the end of the command...

	(Format drive DH0: name HP_0 Noicons {QUICK} )

	I've copied my Workbench disk onto the new partions and the disk
	allows the system to reboot off the new partion....

	Is their a problem with the HardFrame...??
	Am I going to have any trouble with these partions because I haven't
	Amiga Dos formated them..??

       /// Steve Goldstein
      ///  Digital Equipment Co
     ///   England.
 \\\///    goldstein@arrods.enet.dec.com OR
  \XX/     goldstein%arrods.enet.dec.com@wessex.uucp

IO91461@MAINE.MAINE.EDU (Tom Nezwek) (06/01/91)

  The hf's rdprep software does not know how to deal with
large hds... It tries to set up partition with more cylinders
than the hd has.. It tried to say my quantum 210s had 234meg
when I tried to format, i had the same problems you had..
Solution: I preped the rigid boot block with the gvp host scsi
on my accelerator (which recognized that the drive was only 199.3 meg)
then switched the hd back to the faster hf2000 and formated it. :)

         -tom nezwek

wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) (06/01/91)

>	Is their a problem with the HardFrame...??
>	Am I going to have any trouble with these partions because I haven't
>	Amiga Dos formated them..??

This problem specialy shows up on PAL machines & Hardframe.  It's
not directly related to your harddisk (this bug might not show up
with a slow drive...  but who wants a slow drive?).

The problem is related to your Amiga 2000.  There are some fixes
available (on demand:  I email them or ask your dealer).  They
might help, but often doesn't cure the problem (your case seems
good).

Format QUICK is ok and you don't need to FORMAT "SLOW" ;-9

Now your HD might run fine, but the system guru's often:
it might be your problem with the hardware and not caused by
software.

>       /// Steve Goldstein

----
Wolf Faust       cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!venus!wfaust
Tel: +(49)69-5486556     FIDO: 2:243/43.5

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (06/01/91)

IO91461@MAINE.MAINE.EDU (Tom Nezwek) writes:
>  The hf's rdprep software does not know how to deal with
>large hds... It tries to set up partition with more cylinders

The Hardframe in my dad's A2500 worked just fine with an H-P 1G drive
and a Fujitsu 1.2G drive. Do you have the current software?
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.202449.620@decuk.uvo.dec.com> goldstein@arrods.enet.dec.com (Steve Goldstein) writes:

>       I've finally got my HP 97544 380 Meg harddisk working BUT.....
>

>       I'm using the Microbotics HardFrame and found that I couldn't
>       Format the drive ... The HardFrame is at the latest rev (V1.9)
>
>       It was O.K. Low-level formatting....
>
>       It was O.K. adding RDB using RDPrep I created 4 partions...
>

>       I then tried formatting from the CLI failed again UNTIL I put the
>       QUICK flag on the end of the command...
>
>       (Format drive DH0: name HP_0 Noicons {QUICK} )
>
>       Is their a problem with the HardFrame...??
>
>       /// Steve Goldstein
>      ///  Digital Equipment Co
>     ///   England.
> \\\///    goldstein@arrods.enet.dec.com OR
>  \XX/     goldstein%arrods.enet.dec.com@wessex.uucp

        Nothing is wrong.  If you look at your HardFrame docs it will tell
you that you must use the QUICK option when you high-level format your
drive.

--
 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000 UUCPv1.13D.
 clemon@lemsys.UUCP lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca | Please Mail any binaries

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (06/05/91)

In article <clemon.3722@lemsys.UUCP> clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) writes:
>In article <1991May30.202449.620@decuk.uvo.dec.com> goldstein@arrods.enet.dec.com (Steve Goldstein) writes:
>>       I've finally got my HP 97544 380 Meg harddisk working BUT.....
[...]
>>       I then tried formatting from the CLI failed again UNTIL I put the
>>       QUICK flag on the end of the command...
>>
>>       (Format drive DH0: name HP_0 Noicons {QUICK} )
>>
>>       Is their a problem with the HardFrame...??
>        Nothing is wrong.  If you look at your HardFrame docs it will tell
>you that you must use the QUICK option when you high-level format your
>drive.

That's not the bug according to my Hardframe docs.  Assuming he's using FFS,
Microbotics instructs you to use the QUICK option since a full format is
unnecessary, but it should still work.  Although it was almost unbearable,
I have done a full, slow format on my 150Mb Rodime in the past just to make
sure everything was OK.  Mr. Goldstein still has a problem somewhere.

Depending the version of Mr. Goldstein's HardFrame driver and on whether
Microbotics fixed this problem in later releases, he may want to try setting
MaxTransfer to 130560 (that's 128K - 512) on all partitions.   My version
1.3C HardFrame Driver ROM can't handle a full 128K transfer and will GURU.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions are those of the user, and not of this machine.