[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Dead Drive ?

Dennis Robert Gorrie <GORRIEDE@max.cc.uregina.ca> (04/16/91)

I have this wierd problem with my A1000 internal floppy drive.
It has worked fine for 4 yrs, but now it is not booting correctly.
It will read the kickstart disk fine, but when I put in workbench,
it steps the heads two times and then gives me an "Error validating disk".

Now for the strange part... it only does this below 20 degrees celcius.
If I take my hairdryer and blow it into the drive for a few seconds,
and then click on retry, it boots fine.  I have taken the drive appart
(as far as the tools I have would allow) and could not find anything
wrong.  Any ideas?  Am I destined to buy a new drive just because I live
in Canada, or should I just move south?

|Dennis Gorrie                 'Sudden de-compression Sucks!'           |
|gorriede@max.cc.uregina.ca                                             |
|gorrie@meena.cc.uregina.ca                                             |

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/17/91)

In article <50836@nigel.ee.udel.edu> GORRIEDE@max.cc.uregina.ca (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:

>I have this wierd problem with my A1000 internal floppy drive.
>It has worked fine for 4 yrs, but now it is not booting correctly.
>It will read the kickstart disk fine, but when I put in workbench,
>it steps the heads two times and then gives me an "Error validating disk".
>
>Now for the strange part... it only does this below 20 degrees celcius.
>If I take my hairdryer and blow it into the drive for a few seconds,
>and then click on retry, it boots fine.  I have taken the drive appart
>(as far as the tools I have would allow) and could not find anything
>wrong.  Any ideas?  Am I destined to buy a new drive just because I live
>in Canada, or should I just move south?

  Reminds me of the time my A500 bit the bucket. Whenever it was running
'cold', I would get distorted raster lines all over the screen, and would
see the GURU screen more often than anything else. It also refused to boot,
and any time I touched anything the system would crash. Once a spoon fell
lightly onto the case and it crashed...of course, once it warmed up, it
wouldn't be that bad (I could actually begin to see what was on the screen).
How much did it cost? At first I estimated the damage at $200, but it
ended up costing me $30. All I had to do was clean out the dust, reseat
some chips, and clean all of the contacts for the chips. Maybe it just
needs to be cleaned.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

Dennis Robert Gorrie <GORRIEDE@max.cc.uregina.ca> (06/06/91)

I have this wierd problem with my A1000 internal floppy drive.
It has worked fine for 4 yrs, but now it is not booting correctly.
It will read the kickstart disk fine, but when I put in workbench,
it steps the heads two times and then gives me an "Error validating disk".
When it steps the heads, it makes a really wierd grinding noise that
I don't hear when it boots up 'properly'.

Now for the strange part... it only does this below 20 degrees celcius.
If I take my hairdryer and blow it into the drive for a few seconds,
and then click on retry, it boots fine.  I have taken the drive appart
(as far as the tools I have would allow) and could not find anything
wrong.  Any ideas?  Am I destined to buy a new drive just because I live
in Canada, or should I just move south?

I have tried several new copies of WorkBench disks as well as my
originals, with the same results as above.  Also, the drive gives
me write errors when I try to copy huge files (500k) to floppy.
However, it does diskcopies fine, and it will back up my 160 meg
hard disk AND restore over 140 floppies fine (QuarterBack 2.3).

Maybe I need some of that CRAMOLINE stuff  :-)