[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Update 030 boards for more Mhz

lynx@amiglynx.UUCP (Dario Fernando) (06/03/91)

I want to know if someone can answer my question, I did it a couple of times
and no one replys accually I did get a reply it was   NO   I don't need a   NO
I need an answer.

I have a GVP 28 mhz plain with no memory or nothing, can I go up to 33 or 50
mhz by changeing the 030 in the crystal and a fast memory? my view is that I
think I can by putting a 50 mhz 030 , change the crystal and adding a memory
of 60 or 70 ns , AM I WRONG OR WHAT.
Please be a nice and reply.

It seems stupid to pay $2500. for a 50 mgz I know it goes to 32 megs but I
don't care to much for that.

I think it can be done by buying the new GVP serial 2 030 scii 22mhz and then
expand up to 50 it cost only $350.00 for a 50mhz chip I don't care for the MMU
I don't need it for grafics.
*        //             ***  A M I G A - L Y N X ***                     //  *
*       //                                                              //   *
*   \\ //     The Bulletin Board that completes your destiny        \\ //    *
*    \X/  120 Megs - 4 Lines - Conference Rooms Interchat System     \X/     *
*       Full support of SkyPix graphics and ANSI/CG/IBM protocols also       *
*   Many Multi-Player games online and an extensive message base for all     *
*                        2 0 1 - 3 6 8 - 0 4 6 3                             *
*                        2 0 1 - 3 6 8 - 2 0 6 0 " HST Dual Standard Only"   *
*                 v.32/v.32bis/HST/CCITT/v.42/v.42bis/MNP 1 to 5             *
*                             24/48/72/96/12k/14.4k                          *
*     P.O.Box 8465 Saddlebrook NJ 0662  !UUCP!tronsbox!amiglynx!lynx         *

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (06/03/91)

In article <lynx.4974@amiglynx.UUCP>, lynx@amiglynx.UUCP
(Dario Fernando) writes:

> accually I did get a reply it was   NO   I don't need a
> NO I need an answer.

Your question was whether or not a 28MHz GVP '030 can be
upgraded to 50MHz. So "no" _is_ an answer. No matter how
often you will ask, the answer will remain the same!

> I have a GVP 28 mhz plain with no memory or nothing, can I
> go up to 33 or 50 mhz by changeing the 030 in the crystal
> and a fast memory?

No.

> my view is that I think I can by putting a 50 mhz 030 ,
> change the crystal and adding a memory of 60 or 70 ns , AM
> I WRONG OR WHAT.

Yes. You also need lots of new PALs.

> I think it can be done by buying the new GVP serial 2 030
> scii 22mhz and then expand up to 50 it cost only $350.00
> for a 50mhz chip I don't care for the MMU I don't need it
> for grafics.

Good luck! Almost everything is surface-mounted.

Ralph

ayrjola@hut.fi (Ari Yrj|l{) (06/04/91)

In article <lynx.4974@amiglynx.UUCP> lynx@amiglynx.UUCP (Dario Fernando) writes:
>I have a GVP 28 mhz plain with no memory or nothing, can I go up to 33 or 50
>mhz by changeing the 030 in the crystal and a fast memory? my view is that I
>think I can by putting a 50 mhz 030 , change the crystal and adding a memory
>of 60 or 70 ns , AM I WRONG OR WHAT.

I guess it's possible, at least GVP is selling faster CPUs and oscillators
separately for older GVP '030 boards.

>I think it can be done by buying the new GVP serial 2 030 scii 22mhz and then
>expand up to 50 it cost only $350.00 for a 50mhz chip I don't care for the MMU
>I don't need it for grafics.

Nope, new GVP 22MHz and 33MHz boards have surface mounted '030s so
it's not possible to replace them easily. As someone has pointed out
GVP don't use cripped off 68030's without MMU, they use normal 68030
which have MMU built inside and working.

--
Ari  Yrj|l{       Internet:  ayrjola@hut.fi          /
JMT 3B 231b       BITNET :   LK-AY AT FINHUT        / Money talks -

alan@mothra.rose.hp.com (Al Haight) (06/07/91)

/ mothra:comp.sys.amiga.hardware / rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) /  5:19 am  Jun  3, 1991 /
(Dario Fernando) writes:

>> accually I did get a reply it was   NO   I don't need a
>> NO I need an answer.

>Your question was whether or not a 28MHz GVP '030 can be
>upgraded to 50MHz. So "no" _is_ an answer. No matter how
>often you will ask, the answer will remain the same!

>> I have a GVP 28 mhz plain with no memory or nothing, can I
>> go up to 33 or 50 mhz by changeing the 030 in the crystal
>> and a fast memory?

>No.

>> my view is that I think I can by putting a 50 mhz 030 ,
>> change the crystal and adding a memory of 60 or 70 ns , AM
>> I WRONG OR WHAT.

>Yes. You also need lots of new PALs.

>> I think it can be done by buying the new GVP serial 2 030
>> scii 22mhz and then expand up to 50 it cost only $350.00
>> for a 50mhz chip I don't care for the MMU I don't need it
>> for grafics.

>Good luck! Almost everything is surface-mounted.

>Ralph
----------

 Hmmmm,
   Well I bought my GVP 030 board over a year ago and it came as a 28MHz
   version, but the 030 was rated at 25MHz.  I replaced the 030 with a
   33MHz version and installed a 33MHz crystal and everything works fine.
   When I first purchased the accelerator, I didn't get the 32 bit RAM.
   After a couple of months saving, I purchased a 4Mb Daughter board and
   bought the one for the 33MHz version (70nS RAMS).  Everything has been
   Jam'in for over a year now with no problems.  I also installed a 50MHz
   Floating Point chip (68882) and 50MHz crystal for it.

   It is true that you can't go to 50MHz though, without some PAL and BUFFER
   changes.  Plus you should also then go to the faster memory (60nS).
   I tried putting a 50MHz chip in, and tried different clock speeds from
   33MHz up to 50MHz.  You can't go much over the 33MHz without problems.

   I remember way back when, GVP said they would upgrade boards to the next
   version (Ex. A3028 -> A3033, A3033 -> A3050 ) for some outragious price
   of around $1000.  I would hope that by now that price would have been
   reduced to less than half of that, since both the 030 CPU's and memory
   have dropped so much !  And the fact that the price between NEW board
   versions is only a few hundred dollars too !!!

     Alan
     alan@hpsmo100.rose.hp.com