[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000-16 Acceleration

swalton@corona.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (06/06/91)

In article <22123@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave
Haynie) writes:

>Well, strangely enough, all A3000s can work at either 16MHz or 25MHz, except
>for the speed of the on-board CPU/FPU.

But, you are also limited by the speed of the motherboard RAM chips, no?
So, if you buy an A3000-16 but want to run a (say) 25 MHz accelerator in
the future, you should put 80ns parts on the motherboard, right?
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
    "Lately it occurs to me/What a long, strange trip it's been"

In article <1991Jun5.171439.21475@csun.edu> swalton@corona.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:
>In article <22123@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave
>Haynie) writes:

>>Well, strangely enough, all A3000s can work at either 16MHz or 25MHz, except
>>for the speed of the on-board CPU/FPU.

>But, you are also limited by the speed of the motherboard RAM chips, no?

No.

>So, if you buy an A3000-16 but want to run a (say) 25 MHz accelerator in
>the future, you should put 80ns parts on the motherboard, right?

You should do that anyway.  The RAMSEY chip runs tighter cycles at 16MHz than
25MHz.  Both take advantage of 80ns parts.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.