[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 6.6 Roms aren't free, but might be available

dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (05/31/91)

I just called my dealer about my 2091 that still hangs when both drives
are being accessed a lot.  I've got the A version of the WD chip, and
6.1 roms.  He said he just got a note from cbm, which states the 6.6 ROMS
are available, but aren't a warranty upgrade.  It refered to a price sheet
that wasn't sent to him for the price of these chips.

I know we hashed this over and over one, three and five months ago, but
here we are, a bunch of 2500 owners (and 2091 owners) with a controller
that hangs when we try to really use them. This is getting really frustrating.

So, to the person that asks whether the 3000 is really worth it, I am
tempted to reply that yes it is, because so far noone's noticed a serious
problem with it.  (My 2320 still has the 777/888 grey problem...)

Not that I'm particularly mad at Commodore, heck, they've given me three
opportunities to trade my 6 year old A1000 for newer, better machines.
There just seems to be some gaps in their customer relations...
--
dylan mcnamee             / "I stood there on the sidewalk, Roy Rogers
dylan@cs.washington.edu \/lunchpail in my hand.  Then I heard sweet children's

watters@enif.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.212821.14408@beaver.cs.washington.edu> dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:

>I just called my dealer about my 2091 that still hangs when both drives
>are being accessed a lot.  I've got the A version of the WD chip, and
>6.1 roms.  He said he just got a note from cbm, which states the 6.6 ROMS
>are available, but aren't a warranty upgrade.  It refered to a price sheet
>that wasn't sent to him for the price of these chips.

I do not know the total story, but if the above is true I am dumbfounded.
How can they do this?  I had my dealer install a second quantum the day I
got it and have had the lock up problem since day 1!!!  How can that not be
a warranty upgrade.  Just because my warranty expired before the solution
got through all the developement red tape, doesn't mean they don't owe me a
fix in my opinion.
I do not know what the price of these roms with be, but if it is more than
pratical production costs, I will be a little mad, which is an understatement.

  ///\ _   '_/
\X//_/(/|//(/

--
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
 All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (06/01/91)

We recieved the 6.6 rom upgrade notices (I am a Service Tech). I seem to
remember reading that if your Western Digital chip was the revision "A"
model you could get the upgrade 'in warranty'. I will double check this
when I go to work on Monday.

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

greg@travis.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) (06/05/91)

In <42845@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:

>We recieved the 6.6 rom upgrade notices (I am a Service Tech). I seem to
>remember reading that if your Western Digital chip was the revision "A"
>model you could get the upgrade 'in warranty'. I will double check this
>when I go to work on Monday.

Yes, please do.  My local dealer, _Digital Arts_, claims that they talked
to Commodore service who told them that the 6.6 ROMs would not be available for
free unless the card were still under warranty - i.e. purchased less than
a year ago.  There was no mention of cards having the "A" chip being
exempt from this requirement.  Since my card was one year and two months
old at the time of the 6.6ROM announcement this meant I would have to fork over
the $40.00 (or whatever - close enough) for the "upgrade."  Digital Arts
didn't think that was too fair (although I hadn't even bought my machine
from them) and told me they would pay for the "upgrade."  I though that
was terrific service on their part.

greg "three SCSI drives, all of which hang" travis
--
Gregory R. Travis                Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405
greg@cica.indiana.edu  		 Center for Innovative Computer Applications

mmm@reaper.Chi.IL.US (Michael Marvin Morrison) (06/06/91)

In article <1991May30.212821.14408@beaver.cs.washington.edu> dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:

>I just called my dealer about my 2091 that still hangs when both drives
>are being accessed a lot.  I've got the A version of the WD chip, and
>6.1 roms.  He said he just got a note from cbm, which states the 6.6 ROMS
>are available, but aren't a warranty upgrade.  It refered to a price sheet
>that wasn't sent to him for the price of these chips.
>
>I know we hashed this over and over one, three and five months ago, but
>here we are, a bunch of 2500 owners (and 2091 owners) with a controller
>that hangs when we try to really use them. This is getting really frustrating.
>
>So, to the person that asks whether the 3000 is really worth it, I am
>tempted to reply that yes it is, because so far noone's noticed a serious
>problem with it.  (My 2320 still has the 777/888 grey problem...)
>
>Not that I'm particularly mad at Commodore, heck, they've given me three
>opportunities to trade my 6 year old A1000 for newer, better machines.
>There just seems to be some gaps in their customer relations...
>--
>dylan mcnamee             / "I stood there on the sidewalk, Roy Rogers
>dylan@cs.washington.edu \/lunchpail in my hand.  Then I heard sweet children's
>     Qua!                voices...and I began to understand." Randy Newman

I don't know what the NEW version number of the most recent ROM upgrade for
the 2091 is, but my dealer in Aurora, IL. wants $11 for them.  I consider
this VERY inexpensive, and probably barely covers C= costs.  I haven't
gotten them yet.

--
Michael M Morrison              /|                             |\
mmm@reaper.chi.il.us <or>      | |     Cold Steel on Ice       | |

easton@zds-oem.zds.com (Jeff Easton) (06/07/91)

In article <mmm.1603@reaper.Chi.IL.US> mmm@reaper.Chi.IL.US (Michael Marvin Morrison) writes:
>In article <1991May30.212821.14408@beaver.cs.washington.edu> dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:

>I don't know what the NEW version number of the most recent ROM upgrade for
>the 2091 is, but my dealer in Aurora, IL. wants $11 for them.  I consider
                               ^^^^^^^^^^
>this VERY inexpensive, and probably barely covers C= costs.  I haven't
>gotten them yet.

  How's come everyone around here goes to this one dealer?  You, me,
apparently Arctangent...  Could it be he's the best dealer in a three
state radius?

Disclaimer:  I just purchased my A3000 from this dealer, as well as a
bunch of other add ons for my 2000 over the years.  I would crawl on my
hands and knees to this place from Michigan if I had to.
(well, almost :-)

>Michael M Morrison              /|                             |\

        Jeff Easton               Zenith Data Systems
     // Systems Engineer
   \X/  easton%zds-oem@caspian.cs.andrews.edu
	easton@andrews.edu
   What?  Preemptive Multitasking in only 256K of RAM?  :^)  :^)