[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] quantum 105mb hardrives

mac9167@venus.tamu.edu (COSTANZA, MATTHEW ALLEN) (06/04/91)

I have a small question regarding the Quantum full height 105mb drives.  The
prices for these drives have droped like a rock because of the new low profile
drives that are comming out.  I am in the market to get a hardrive the only
problem is will the full height drives fit on a hardcard?  I have no more open
drive slots (I have the XT Bridgeboard) and the prices are just right
Suggestions anyone?

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (06/06/91)

In article <16834@helios.TAMU.EDU> mac9167@venus.tamu.edu writes:

>I have a small question regarding the Quantum full height 105mb drives.  The
>prices for these drives have droped like a rock because of the new low profile
>drives that are comming out.  I am in the market to get a hardrive the only
>problem is will the full height drives fit on a hardcard?  I have no more open
>drive slots (I have the XT Bridgeboard) and the prices are just right
>Suggestions anyone?

 I have a standard half height hard drive in my system as a hard card. The
things is consider are:

1) make sure that you don't have the hard drive upside down should you want
   to put the computer on the floor on its side.
2) make sure that the design of the board is such that the hard drive fits
   without short circuiting anything. If there is not enough room for the
   hard drive footprint you will have to use standoffs.
3) make sure the power cable can reach.
4) the hard drive will hang over enough to completely cover the slot next to
   the controller card. You might be able to get the hard drive between the
   first slot and the accelerator slot as the accelerator slot is farther
   from the Zorro slot.

--
Darrell Grainger % Comspec Communications Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Canada
darrell@comspec  % Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own.

mblair@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mark J. Blair) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun5.180139.7916@comspec.uucp> darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) writes:
>In article <16834@helios.TAMU.EDU> mac9167@venus.tamu.edu writes:
[...]
>>drives that are comming out.  I am in the market to get a hardrive the only
>>problem is will the full height drive fit on a hardcard?  I have no more open
>>drive slots (I have the XT Bridgeboard) and the prices are just right

[...]
> I have a standard half height hard drive in my system as a hard card. The
>things is consider are:
>
>1) make sure that you don't have the hard drive upside down should you want
>   to put the computer on the floor on its side.

According to Quantum, it is OK to mount their hard drives in any orientation,
as long as drive is no more than 10 degrees off level. When I called them
about this, they specifically said that it is OK to mount the Quantum
ProDrive 105s upside-down. This is not the case for many drives by other
manufacturers (such as Seagate), though.

[...]
>4) the hard drive will hang over enough to completely cover the slot next to
>   the controller card. You might be able to get the hard drive between the
>   first slot and the accelerator slot as the accelerator slot is farther
>   from the Zorro slot.

The only hard cards I'm very familiar with are the ones from GVP. Your
hard drive will cover the slot to the right of the card (i.e., closer
to the power supply). I _think_ it will clear the accelerator slot,
but I may be mistaken.

I have a Q105s on my crusty old A1000. It's a very nice drive. In my two
years working at an Amiga dealer, we've had very few problems with
Quantum drives.

>--
>Darrell Grainger % Comspec Communications Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Canada
>darrell@comspec  % Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own.
>(416) 617-1475   % (416) 633-5605	(416)785-3553

--
Mark J. Blair
University of California, Irvine
e-mail: mblair@orion.oac.uci.edu    voice: (714) 725-5137
--

ryan@amix.commodore.com (Ryan Sheftel) (06/08/91)

mac9167@venus.tamu.edu (COSTANZA, MATTHEW ALLEN) writes:

> I have a small question regarding the Quantum full height 105mb drives.  The
> prices for these drives have droped like a rock because of the new low profil
> drives that are comming out.  I am in the market to get a hardrive the only
> problem is will the full height drives fit on a hardcard?  I have no more ope
> drive slots (I have the XT Bridgeboard) and the prices are just right
> Suggestions anyone?

Well, a full hieght drive will fit on a hardcard, but I will take up two
slots because of the height.

Ryan Sheftel

UUCP: uunet!cbmvax!amix!undrground!ryan
Internet: undrground!ryan@amix.commodore.com