[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Lucas and a Hardrive

wampner@acme.ucf.edu (Eric Wampner) (06/02/91)

Well, I haven't seen any info on this, haven't looked too hard, but
who has the time.....

I was hoping that somone had managed to get a hard drive and the
Lucas+Frances boards working in a 1000.

So lets hear it! Send E-mail or post.
Thanks in advance,

Eric Wampner

NOTE EMAIL ADDRESS         "Silly Quote"
eww@engr.ucf.edu

doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey W Davis) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun2.024350.2163@osceola.cs.ucf.edu> wampner@acme.ucf.edu (Eric Wampner) writes:
>Well, I haven't seen any info on this, haven't looked too hard, but
>who has the time.....
>
>I was hoping that somone had managed to get a hard drive and the
>Lucas+Frances boards working in a 1000.

Well, I have a few tidbits of advice here.  First of all, CLtd. controllers
do not work well with Lucas/Frances and I haven't heard of anyone
successfully breaking the 16MHz barrier.  Nuff said there.

Secondly, I am currently running Lucas/Frances @20MHz w/4M 32-bit.  I use a
SupraDrive 4x4 controller and it works flawlessly.  There is a slight
problem with using the -r (resident) and -k (load KS) options on AFM
together though.  This combo will prevent the SupraBoot program from seeing
the Harddrive (blows by too fast I guess).  This drove me crazy for a
while.  I could either give up RAD: booting OR give up KS in 32-bit memory.
That ticked me off enought that I changed the AFM program!  Now with the -k
option AFM will allocate space for the ROM but not load it or enable ERKS.
After the HD is mounted, KS can be loaded with Kick32 and everything
possible will be in 32-bit memory! For the boot-only games, AFM will load
and enable KS in 32-bit if you hold down the left mouse button during boot.
I am also adding right button support to control the processor cache (on/off)
during boot.

I do recommend this controller now that I have it working at optimum
performance.  If you go this way you will want my software or to change your
own.  Also, I have only run it with a Seagate 296N (85M SCSI) HD.  Oh, and it
has a battery backed up clock (that's why I initially chose this one over the
CLtd. controller).

--- Golem SCSI II Controllers ---

You may want to check out the newer GOLEM controllers.  They are 16-bit
controllers and claim a 1.42MB/sec transfer rate.  It is available in an
external case for the A1000.  I have not heard much about these since they
are from a European company and apparently do little advertising in the
states.  I have heard that thir controllers work much faster with an
accelerated system (2.6+ MB/sec).

  Here's their US location :

     Golem, Inc.
     421 Hudson, M12
     New York, NY  10014

     Tel: (212) 727-0548
     Fax: (212) 627-3965

>Thanks in advance,

No problem.

>Eric Wampner
>
>NOTE EMAIL ADDRESS         "Silly Quote"
>eww@engr.ucf.edu

* Jeff Davis                * Relax! And get into    ///  *
* doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu * the STRESS!!!         ///   *
*                           *                   \\\///030 *
*                           * -Gigahertz!-  Amiga\XX/ 882 *
	    -=[ In Stereo Where Available ]=-

stephane@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Stephane Guillard) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun2.024350.2163@osceola.cs.ucf.edu> wampner@acme.ucf.edu (Eric Wampner) writes:
>Well, I haven't seen any info on this, haven't looked too hard, but
>who has the time.....
>
>I was hoping that somone had managed to get a hard drive and the
>Lucas+Frances boards working in a 1000.

   Yep, we have an A1000 w/Lucas-Frances running with a Vortex 20Meg hardDrive
   pretty fine at 25Mhz/4Meg.

--
 \\\  Only Amiga    | Stephane GUILLARD - GRASP INSA Lyon FRANCE
  \\\   makes it    | Tel: +33 72438383 poste 5546

mnc@turing.acs.virginia.edu (Michael N. Chapman) (06/06/91)

Where would I get a Lucas-Frances board? What are the exact specs and how much would it cost?

Also, does anyone know any other good ways to upgrade (cost effectively) a 1000?I like the look of the  1000 and would like to keep it around for another couple years... :-)
--
       //                              | Email: mnc@turing.acs.virginia.edu
      //                               |

doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey W Davis) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.122014.29857@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> mnc@turing.acs.virginia.edu (Michael N. Chapman) writes:
>Where would I get a Lucas-Frances board? What are the exact specs and how much would it cost?

Brad Fowles has stopped manufacturing the Lucas and Frances boards due to
the length of time between orders and the overhead costs.  The only way to
get either now is used, or create your own from Brads netlists (which are
readily available).  Check ab20 for a lucas.lzh file which contains all
information about the board w/ netlists and PAL programs and price info.
There are around 3000 of each board in existance.

>Also, does anyone know any other good ways to upgrade (cost effectively) a 1000?I like the look of the  1000 and would like to keep it around for another couple years... :-)

The MAST Starblazer (8 Meg + SCSI module) looks pretty cost effective.  At
one time both were available for ~$120 w/0K.  Now, you can't beat the price.
But does anyone have any experience (good/bad) with one of these?  I would
consider getting one simply for a cheap 8M of extra RAM; if it could address
around the rest of my system memory.

>--
>       //                              | Email: mnc@turing.acs.virginia.edu
>      //                               |
>  \\ //    Where the REAL power is.    |   From the desk of Michael Chapman
>   \X/     IBM, Mac, get REAL!         |

* Jeff Davis                * Relax! And get into    ///  *
* doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu * the STRESS!!!         ///   *
*                           *                   \\\///030 *
*                           * -Gigahertz!-  Amiga\XX/ 882 *
     These opinions are my own.  You can't have them!

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (06/07/91)

I am selling my lucas and francas boards (I upgraded to the 3000). Both boards
are compleatly built and ready to run. I have ran the lucas with little trouble
at 20Mhz. The francas I built compleatly, but never had the money to put memory
in it to make sure it works perfectly. If anyone is intrested please send me
mail.

			Paul

--
ACK!!!!
	-Bill the Cat

Amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu	            .....Paul......

cg108fgj@ICOGSCI1.UCSD.EDU (Dennis Lou) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun6.193332.5358@en.ecn.purdue.edu> doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu
writes:
>In article <1991Jun6.122014.29857@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> mnc@turing.acs.virginia.edu (Michael N. Chapman) writes:
>>Also, does anyone know any other good ways to upgrade (cost effectively) a 1000?I like the look of the  1000 and would like to keep it around for another couple years... :-)
>
>The MAST Starblazer (8 Meg + SCSI module) looks pretty cost effective.  At
>one time both were available for ~$120 w/0K.  Now, you can't beat the price.
>But does anyone have any experience (good/bad) with one of these?  I would
>consider getting one simply for a cheap 8M of extra RAM; if it could address
>around the rest of my system memory.

Yes, I have experience with MAST and their Starblazer.  The
Starblazer is NOT AVAILABLE!  I had my Visa ready and waiting and
everything.  Also, it costs way too much to buy their RAM
($199/2meg? using custom modules)

That's why I got a Xetec.  Properly fits on the side of my A1000
(no A500 hack here), was cheap ($175 controller, $85 RAM connector),
used Mac SIMMS (bought 4 megs of Sun SIMMS for $85), you can get
(or "have to get") your own case and power supply ($29 from Halted
Specialties), is pretty fast, and can autoconfig/autoboot (if you
have a Kwikstart board to get past Kickstart).  Supposedly, tech
support from Xetec is supposed to be phenomenal, but I haven't had
to use it.

Couple that with the falling prices of Q105S drives, you can have
yourself a decent hard drive subsystem for your Amiga.

--
Dennis Lou             || "But Yossarian, what if everyone thought that way?"
dlou@ucsd.edu          || "Then I'd be crazy to think any other way!"