[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Need help w/updating/any info on my Archive 5945 tape unit?

guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) (06/09/91)

I got this Archive tape drive (model 5945 - somewhere around 1985) with Archives
SCSI interface, and when I try it with my HardFrame I can't read the SCSI
address.  The whole Amiga locks up once I invoke RdPrep.  MicroBotics manual
says if this happens, get the SCSI interface of the drive updated.  I do not
even have info on how to set the SCSI address... Anyone know if this can be
updated OR where I can get an interface for the tape drive that will work?

I'd reallly like to get this this work...  |-(

--
 guy@nsco.network.com                                     //
 Guy Dandrea                                          \\ //

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun9.034905.16123@ns.network.com> guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) writes:
>I got this Archive tape drive (model 5945 - somewhere around 1985) with Archives
>SCSI interface, and when I try it with my HardFrame I can't read the SCSI
>address.  The whole Amiga locks up once I invoke RdPrep.  MicroBotics manual
>says if this happens, get the SCSI interface of the drive updated.  I do not
>even have info on how to set the SCSI address... Anyone know if this can be
>updated OR where I can get an interface for the tape drive that will work?
> [...]

Uhhh, the 5945 is a QIC-02 drive; don't let the 50-pin edge connector fool
you.

Archive's SCSI drive model is the 2060S (for the same capacity, 60MB, and tape
compatibility with the 5945; they also have a Viper (aka 2150S?, 150MB) which
uses the 3M DC6150 media in the same QIC (Quarter Inch Cartridge) housing).

WHen you look at the 2060S, it's clear the connector is for SCSI, and the
drive's ID selection jumpers are clearly labeled.

Someone else earlier this year from Australia reported he attempted to use
a 5945-L3 on an Amiga's SCSI bus and I haven't heard anything more;  I suspect
he zapped the drive (and possibly his Amiga) since the QIC-02 is *NOT* SCSI.

Both the 5945 and 2060S use the 3M DC600A or the SONY QD-600A QIC tapes.

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]