[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Ethernetworking on AmigaDOS

masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Masaru Sugai) (06/09/91)

First of all, I really thank folks for their useful information. Here goes
a summary of replies for previous posting with my opinitions.

+ Ethernet board

 A2065 comes with BNC(thin) and AUI(thick) connectors. Standard setting
is for thin etherent, but jumper switches change it easily.

+ TCP/IP Software

 AS225 is a subset of TCP/IP commands found in UNIX. Amiga NFS supports
only client side, so it is impossible to share Amiga disks. Neither rlogin
nor rsh into AmigaDOS is available yet, but strange to say, ftp is possible.

 A guy pointed out that CLI is not ready for socket, but I know I can use
CLI from serial port with proper driver. I guess AmigaDOS could handle same
scheme like pty in UNIX, but this is only a wild speculation.

 Other guy told me there are potential security holes due to the lack of
userid in Amiga. AmigaUUCP has its own passwd file, and Amiga TCP/IP
package might require similar authenticifation measures in future.

+ Development Kit

 I am disappointed to know that AS225 is an end-user package.  So far network
library is available from GfxBase as a part of "X11 Development environment".

 As the source code of BSD networking software is freely available to anyone,
we could expect bunch of TCP/IP application in a short time if CBM sold
socket library in BSD or TLI (Transport Layer Interface) library in SYSV
at a reasonable price.  With the UNIX standard networking libraries, Amiga
would be the best and most affordable platform for networking as well.

+ Upgrade Plan

  3000UX is absoletely a better deal than upgrading from bare A3000,
if I would like a full-fledged TCP/IP utilities ranging from libraries
to applications including X11. But UX seems to be less stable and does
not coexist with DOS at present. UX 2.0 would improve things dractically,
but little on the latter.

+ Wish list to CBM

  I would like to see a CBM's networking software development kit which
might have been available through CATS.  Amiga offers the most affordable
multimedia platform in the market, but without sound networking facilities
it is difficult to eat into lab environment. 3000UX might be a way to go,
but at present, we cannot take advantage of exisiting 3rd party hardware.
  I'm dreaming of an Arexx communicating over network through TCP/IP port.
Such implementation is really nice as most of vendors support Arexx, and
I believe it unleashes lots of interesting possiblities especially in lab
environments.

--
-- Masaru Sugai:Use disclaimer. CIS 72050,2141:NeXT + A3000 = money-eater
NEC Corporation:sugai@ccs.mt.nec.co.jp DORMANT:hardwired logic,machine language

dlarson@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dale Larson) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun8.222958.9863@news.media.mit.edu> masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Masaru Sugai) writes:
>only client side, so it is impossible to share Amiga disks. Neither rlogin
>nor rsh into AmigaDOS is available yet, but strange to say, ftp is possible.

We provide rsh, rcp and rshd (the rsh server (which is also an rcp server)).
--
"Always hopeful, yet discontent			    Dale Larson,
He knows changes aren't permanent --		    Amiga Network Development