[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amiga support High Density floppies ?

dkelly@boffin.Aus.Sun.COM (Dave Kelly) (06/07/91)

Can anyone tell me what the status is regarding the Amiga (500/1000/2000/3000) supporting high density (i.e. 1.44Mb and/or above) 3.5-inch floppies ?

Will (or can) they ever be supported as the "internal" DF0-type floppy unit ?
Are there any external units available ?

Thanks for any and all advice......

Dave Kelly                        Sun Microsystems Australia
(dkelly@Aus.Sun.COM)              Level 1
                                  Prudential Centre
                                  495 Victoria Avenue
                                  Chatswood NSW 2067
                                  Australia
                                  Phone: 61-2-413-2666
                                  Fax:   61-2-413-4818

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun7.005237.9755@sunaus.oz>, dkelly@boffin.Aus.Sun.COM (Dave Kelly) writes:
>Can anyone tell me what the status is regarding the Amiga (500/1000/2000/3000) supporting high density (i.e. 1.44Mb and/or above) 3.5-inch floppies ?
>
>Will (or can) they ever be supported as the "internal" DF0-type floppy unit ?
>Are there any external units available ?
>
>Thanks for any and all advice......

    This has been 'discussed' before.  The problem is that the Amiga's custom
chips (in particular the Paula chip, which contains the microdisc controller)
cannot handle high-density drives.  So hooking up a high-denisity drive
directly and using it is impossible.

   To use a high-density drive on an Amiga you have to modify either the
drive or the Amiga.  So far, both Commodore and a third-party have taken
the former approach, modifying high-density drives so that the motor
spins at a slower speed, allowing more data to be written to the drive
at the same old data rate.  It is my oppinion that this is a stupid,
kludgy way to do things, but Commodore seems to be really into kludges
lately.

>Dave Kelly                        Sun Microsystems Australia
>(dkelly@Aus.Sun.COM)              Level 1
>                                  Prudential Centre
>                                  495 Victoria Avenue
>                                  Chatswood NSW 2067
>                                  Australia
>                                  Phone: 61-2-413-2666
>                                  Fax:   61-2-413-4818

 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\        The great thing about standards is that          /
 \       there are so many of them to choose from.       /

ryan@amix.commodore.com (Ryan Sheftel) (06/08/91)

dkelly@boffin.Aus.Sun.COM (Dave Kelly) writes:

> Can anyone tell me what the status is regarding the Amiga (500/1000/2000/3000
>
> Will (or can) they ever be supported as the "internal" DF0-type floppy unit ?
> Are there any external units available ?
>
> Thanks for any and all advice......
>

> Dave Kelly                        Sun Microsystems Australia
> (dkelly@Aus.Sun.COM)              Level 1
>                                   Prudential Centre
>                                   495 Victoria Avenue
>                                   Chatswood NSW 2067
>                                   Australia
>                                   Phone: 61-2-413-2666
>                                   Fax:   61-2-413-4818

A company called Applied Engineering makes a HD floppy (external). Theire
phone number is (214) 241-6060

----------
Ryan Sheftel

UUCP: uunet!cbmvax!amix!undrground!ryan
Internet: undrground!ryan@amix.commodore.com

wampner@acme.ucf.edu (Eric Wampner) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.005237.9755@sunaus.oz> dkelly@boffin.Aus.Sun.COM writes:
>Can anyone tell me what the status is regarding the Amiga (500/1000/2000/3000) supporting high density (i.e. 1.44Mb and/or above) 3.5-inch floppies ?
>
>Will (or can) they ever be supported as the "internal" DF0-type floppy unit ?
>Are there any external units available ?
>
>Thanks for any and all advice......

<Sig deleted>

Well, I don't know about any amiga specific products, but the
NeXT computer has a couple for it (PLI Super Floppy, CubeFloppy)
They do 720,1.4 and 2.88.
Of course they black and expensive.....

Why does this matter? cause they are SCSI. They would probably
work like a cartridge drive. You would have to write the
software for the formatting type, I have a program on the next
which will read any type 3.5 inch disk, unix tar, ms-dos, mac.

Boot? I don't think so, but I have been wrong before. I may
have access to both some time, maybe I'll give it a try.

Eric Wampner
eww@engr.ucf.edu
wampner@next1.acme.ucf.edu  <- EEEK, a next user...

Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.bc.ca (Harvey Taylor) (06/10/91)

In <1991Jun7.221235.27924@osceola.cs.ucf.edu>, wampner@acme.ucf.edu
                                                (Eric Wampner) writes:

|In article <1991Jun7.005237.9755@sunaus.oz> dkelly@boffin.Aus.Sun.COM writes:
|>
|> Can anyone tell me what the status is regarding the Amiga
|> (500/1000/2000/3000) supporting high density (i.e. 1.44Mb and/or above)
|> 3.5-inch floppies ?
|>

|Well, I don't know about any amiga specific products, but the
|NeXT computer has a couple for it (PLI Super Floppy, CubeFloppy)
|They do 720,1.4 and 2.88.
|Of course they black and expensive.....

        See below

|Why does this matter? cause they are SCSI. They would probably
|work like a cartridge drive. You would have to write the
|software for the formatting type...

   I have written a SCSI Direct formatting & mode select utility to allow
 one to initialize the TEAC FD235-JS SCSI floppy. This is a 4M, 2M, 1M
 drive (Formatted capacities 2.88M, 1.44M, 720K). Then the FFS can deal
 with the device [haven't tried MSDOSFileSystem from CrossDOS yet].
    BTW. The major difficulty I had was getting documentation from TEAC;
 manual was out of print, pages missing etc.
    This is the mountlist I use.

/*
* SCSI Floppy under the Xetec driver 720K, 1.44M, 2.88M
 *       BlocksPerTrack = 36  (for 2.88M)
 *       BlocksPerTrack = 18  (for 1.44M)
 *       BlocksPerTrack = 9   (for  .72M)
 */

sd0:     Device = harddisk.device
         FileSystem = l:FastFileSystem
         Unit = 1
         Surfaces = 2
         LowCyl = 0
         HighCyl = 79
         Reserved = 2
         BlocksPerTrack = 9
         Buffers = 10
         BufMemType = 3
         Stacksize = 6000
         Priority = 10
         GlobVec = -1
         MaxTransfer = 0x0001FE00
         Mask = 0x00FFFFFE
         DosType = 0x444F5301
#

    SCSI floppy drives are available from several sources, but the only
 manufacturer I know is TEAC.

---
TEAC America Inc.
(213)727-7682
(213)726-0303

        FD-235HS-302    3.5" 1.44Mb SCSI floppy (using FC-1)
        FD-235JS-401    3.5" 2.88Mb SCSI floppy (using FC-1)
        FD-55GS-704     5.25" SCSI floppy (using FC-1)
        FD-235J-401     3.5" 2.88Mb floppy (without FC-1)
        FC-1            SCSI floppy controller only (not avail. seperately?)

---
Tulin Corp.
2156h O'Toole Ave.
San Jose  CA. 95131
(408)432-9025

        03/03/91 PriceList
        TLFD2N  (FD-235HS)      US$179
        TLFD4N  (FD-235JS)      US$219

---
Digital Instrumentation Tech.
        According to NextWorld, Jan/Feb/1991, Page 93
        CubeFloppy 2.9  @ US$520

---
PLI Peripheral Land Inc.
        According to NextWorld, Jan/Feb/1991, Page 93
        SuperFloppy2.8      @ US$499
        TurboFloppy1.4      [Direct price unknown]

---
MacWarehouse
        According to MacUser, April 1991, Page 187
        PLI TurboFloppy1.4  @ US$359
---

    This makes me really curious what is in the expensive packages.
 If anybody wants to get the format & mode_select utilities, I'll
 send them to c.s.a.sources.

    Misc Info: A2000B
               Xetec MiniFastTrak Driver Version 1.48
               TEAC FD-235-JS SCSI Floppy

    How much goo could a guru do, if a guru could do goo?
                                                  - Not the Hoodoo Gurus
    Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
    uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
                a186@mindlink.bc.ca