[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] two mice problem

hoehle@fb14vax.cs.uni-sb.de (Joerg-Cyril Hoehle) (06/10/91)

For some weeks now I can see 2 mouse pointers when I move the mouse
around below scan line 210-211 on my (PAL) screen. I see the
second pointer following the first one when I move the mouse.  Also,
sometimes, when switching between screens (with A-M, with or without
mouse accelerator, like DMouse), I can see the mouse or the "zzz"
pointer hanging around on a screen, while I still have another mouse
that I can move.

My Hardware is:
B2000 PAL ReV 4.3, Bridgeboard A2088, Kronos controller with 80MB Quantum,
Supra 2MB RAM, Kickstart 1.3 (V34.5) installed 1,5 years ago, Big 1MB
Agnus installed a couple of monthes ago, following Dave Haynies
instructions here on the net:

>The 1 Meg Agnus works in all B2000s.  There are two or three jumpers to change
>to install it correctly (J101 is moved, J500 is removed or cut depending on
>how your board was assembled, and J102 is cut if you want to come up PAL
>instead of NTSC).

No special software need be run, the problems appears even with my old
WB 1.2 disk ! It must be either a hardware or a ROM bug.

I don't think that the problems began as soon as I installed the new
Agnus, but the installation has been the last modification I made to
the hardware.

Any help appreciated. This pointer duplication is rather annoying!

	Joerg.
hoehle@cs.uni-sb.de

consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (06/11/91)

In article <HOEHLE.91Jun10082811@fb14vax.cs.uni-sb.de>,
hoehle@fb14vax.cs.uni-sb.de (Joerg-Cyril Hoehle) writes:

|>For some weeks now I can see 2 mouse pointers when I move the mouse
|>around below scan line 210-211 on my (PAL) screen. I see the
|>second pointer following the first one when I move the mouse.  Also,
|>sometimes, when switching between screens (with A-M, with or without
|>mouse accelerator, like DMouse), I can see the mouse or the "zzz"
|>pointer hanging around on a screen, while I still have another mouse
|>that I can move.
|>[...]
|>No special software need be run, the problems appears even with my old
|>WB 1.2 disk ! It must be either a hardware or a ROM bug.

Well, let's put it this way.  It happens.  We don't know why, but it's
hardware and running PAL seems to be the cause.  It has something to do
with sprites and the Agnus.

I see it happen (I'm in the NTSC wilderness, and it only happens when I
use PAL) but someone with better hardware experience can probably help
you out. (Dave?)

|>	Joerg.
|>hoehle@cs.uni-sb.de

Kris

|Kriston J. Rehberg, Student Consultant, SUNY Binghamton Computer Services    |
|consp03@BINGSUNS.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               +---------------------------+
|CONSP03@BINGVAXA.BITNET                          |Opinions expressed here are|
|                                                 |my own and do not represent|
| Summertime, summertime.  Fun, fun, summertime...|those of this organization |
+-----> Only Amiga makes it possible! <-----------+--------------------- ;-b -+