[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Removable harddrives - What works, what doesn't???

parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) (05/21/91)

I am in the market for a removable harddrive for my Amiga 2000.  I already
have a Supra Wordsync SCSI controller.

Do the Syquest drives work well?  How about the new 80+Meg drives?

Can I just plug it into the SCSI port, edit the mountlist, and go or would
the manufacturer supply a driver?

Can anyone recommend a better removable or comment on the Syquest?

Thanks,
Parker

--
 James Parker   (parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu)     /* STANDARD DISCLAIMERS */
   WVU ComputerScience     |

Ed_Meyer@mindlink.bc.ca (Ed Meyer) (05/22/91)

> parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <1530@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>
>
> Org.  : WVU Statistics and Computer Science
> Person: James Parker
>

> I am in the market for a removable harddrive for my Amiga 2000.  I already
> have a Supra Wordsync SCSI controller.
>
> Do the Syquest drives work well?  How about the new 80+Meg drives?
>
> Can I just plug it into the SCSI port, edit the mountlist, and go or would
> the manufacturer supply a driver?
>
> Can anyone recommend a better removable or comment on the Syquest?
>

> Thanks,
> Parker
>
> --
>  James Parker   (parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu)     /* STANDARD DISCLAIMERS */
>    WVU ComputerScience     |
>     Graphic & Computation  |          Do not write in this space.
>     Lab Coordinator        |

I would recommend some form of removable-media drive for two reasons:
(1) until you actually experience changing a removable harddisk cassette being
almost as easy as changing a floppy, you may not appreciate one of the
niceties/conveniences -- for backups, for "theme" disks", for animations, for
audio-visuals, etc.
(2) doing backups to a removable disk is so quick compared to most other
methods that I figure it was worthwhile saving up to afford it.

I happen to have selected a GVP (SCSI) controller with a 44MB SyQuest.  After
adding "RH0:" -- which, except for the SCSI unit number, was
identical to my "DH0:" mountlist partition -- the system worked the first time.
I didn't get the auto-diskchange ROMs at the time so I had to issue the
DiskChange command when I inserted a new disk cassette: one instruction... big
deal.

Which system/disks/SCSI-controller you may use is your choice; I've had mine
for about 1.5 years and it has never given me any grief except when I have
caused it :-)   Choose your system to work best for you.

        Ed Meyer

+----------------------------+
|  No more blah, blah, blah! |
|                - StarTrek  |
+----------------------------+

rhand@well.sf.ca.us (Roger Hand) (06/04/91)

James:
  From SECOND and THIRD hand experience I decided against a Syquest
myself.  They can be had for about 400 clams but they (40 meg, at
least) don't seem to be the greatest design.  I left messages on
CompuServe and lots of boards about Syquest when I was interested,
and the responses scared me away.  Who needs READ/WRITE ERRORS?
  The RICOH drive is supposedly better.  In fact GVP told me they
had stopped selling Syquest because there were too many problems, but
the RICOH drive would be better.
  I ended up with a 20 Meg Bernoulli (got it for a song, used!) and
a GVP II controller.  I'm happy as a clam.

-Roger
rhand@well.sf.ca.us

davidthx@netcom.COM (David Holleb) (06/11/91)

rhand@well.sf.ca.us (Roger Hand) writes:

>James:
>  From SECOND and THIRD hand experience I decided against a Syquest
>myself.  They can be had for about 400 clams but they (40 meg, at
>least) don't seem to be the greatest design.  I left messages on
>CompuServe and lots of boards about Syquest when I was interested,
>and the responses scared me away.  Who needs READ/WRITE ERRORS?
>  The RICOH drive is supposedly better.  In fact GVP told me they
>had stopped selling Syquest because there were too many problems, but
>the RICOH drive would be better.
>  I ended up with a 20 Meg Bernoulli (got it for a song, used!) and
>a GVP II controller.  I'm happy as a clam.

>-Roger
>rhand@well.sf.ca.us

Roger-
I'm curious where the people who got read/write errors had their
syquest's mounted.?
I assume you mean frequent read/write errors, since harddrives
and floppy's get them occasionally. And any removable drive, if
you stop it or remove it when something is still writing to it,
then read/write errors happen. Just like read/write or corruptted
data errors on hard drives from turning the power off, when they're
being written to, or rebooting before the final flick of the
harddisk LED.

Another question I have is what interleave the syquest was
formatted for, what the flag value in the mountlist was, and
the CPU speed of the machine? Knowing the right combination,
can result in errorless operation,

AND WITH THE NEWS OF THE SYQUEST 80 Meg. drives out any day
now, I'm staying with them. An 80 Meg drive for HARDdrive
backup, and watching 80Meg animations is great!

David

UUCP Mailnet-  uunet!pyramid!cdp!davidthx           BIX- DavidTHX
Internet-  cdp!davidthx@labrea.stanford.edu        CIS- 72010,2434
DASnet- [DE3MIR]davidthx                         Prodigy- GXMF49A

PeaceNet,
Econet, & IGC - davidthx
PeaceNet, Econet, GreenNet, AlterNet,
Pegasus, Web    or most APC/IGC networks   -   igc:davidthx