[net.space] Unified Field Theory - Time dilation

andrew@alberta.UUCP (Andrew Folkins) (11/01/85)

In article <10847@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mazlack@ernie.UUCP (Lawrence J. Mazlack) writes:

>If I'm right on the relativistic time differentiation, can anyone tell me how
>to actually calculate the difference???

Hmm, it's been a while since I took that physics course, but here goes . . .

Given an observer at rest (time interval To), and an object (time interval t)
travelling with a velocity v, the amount of time dilation for the object is
given by the Lorentz transformation (c = speed of light ) :

                                 2   2
            t  =  To / sqrt(1 - v / c )

This gives time dilations of :

               v/c          t

              0.00         1.00         ( That seems right )
              0.000322     1.000000056  ( 100 km/h = 61 mph )
              0.50         1.15
              0.90         2.29
              0.95         3.20
              0.99         7.09
              0.999       22.37
              0.9999      70.71
              0.99999    223.61
              0.999999   707.11
              1.0        core dumped - division by zero
                         (which is why, according to today's physics, you can't
                         travel *at* the speed of light, though theoretically
                         you can travel faster)

The time dilation for 100 km/h corresponds to about 1.75 seconds / year.

By replacing time by mass, the "mass dilation" can also be calculated.
--
Andrew Folkins        ...ihnp4!alberta!andrew

All ideas in this message are fictional.  Any resemblance, to any idea,
living or dead, is purely coincidental.