[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 problem

droman@amiglynx.UUCP (Dan Roman) (06/05/91)

I've had my 3000 about 3 or 4 weeks now and I've had a couple of problems and
I'd like to try to find out if I'm the only one.

First of all, I had problems in the beginning at power up.  I would have to
power off/on once or twice to get the machine to start up without errors
(which were of all types and inconsistent).  I called the Gold Service folks
(really Federal Express) who sent out a tech (formally of Honeywell) to my
house the NEXT DAY!!!  What service huh?  That was good.  Anyway, the tech
replaced the motherboard (that did not go smoothly, the new motherboard DB-15
connector had a different size threads on the screws, the tech messed up the
motherboard a bit, I took some screws from another connecter, but the
motherboard booted up ok so I kept it).  Am I rambling?

Anyway, I also had another problem.  My Panasonic 1124 printer does not work
with the 3000.  It works with a 386 clone and my 1000, I have another printer
that works with the 3000 and everything else, even use the same cable but the
3000 and the 1124 don't get along.  I eventually traced it to the fact that
the 3000 requires 20mA on the SEL line and the 1124 can only deliver 5mA.  The
tech did not know what to do so he put me on the phone with a Commodore tech
named Bruce.  Bruce said that because of protection for the 8520 chips it had
to draw 20mA.  I could argue that because the other lines don't but I didn't.
Bruce said that since the 1125 is not specifically listed in preferences it's
not supported (WHAT!) and that Epson LQ compatible does not count (give me a
break).  Anyway, Panasonic says the 3000 is drawing too much current (I agree)
and they can't do anything for me.  Anybody else have this 1124<>3000 problem?

I've gotten around it by forcing SEL high all the time using the +5 from the
3000.  That's capable of outputting 20mA.

Just found out this weekend that DCTV does not run on my 3000 but the thing
was developed on the 3000 so what gives.  A friend came over my house to demo
DCTV for me but nothing showed up on the display, except darkness.  He called
the DCTV folks, they said it should work.....oh no, another 1124 type problem.
I love this machine but did I get a lemon?  Now the DCTV folks are telling me
to measure my +5 and +12 volts on the RGB connector.  Good thing I have an
ammeter.  What's next?  My 1124 can't put out as much current as the 3000
wants, now my 3000 can't put out as much current as DCTV wants--I'm going
crazy!

Have I gone on too long?  While I've got your attention, since the
instructions for installing RAM are in the 3000 manual, do you void your
warranty by doing it yourself?  I'm a EE, I think I can handle it and might
just take better care of the screws then a tech would.  I own it, I'm careful
with it.  I'd even take static precautions which the tech who replace my
motherboard did not.   The Gold Service folks where hyper about asking me if I
had my cover off before they would send the tech out.  Makes me nervous.  I
asked them if it mattered but they would not say.  Suppose I put in a tape
drive or extra floppy or bigger hard disk.  Would my warranty be voided?  Easy
questions, tough to get answers.

Well, I've taken up enough of your time.  Thanks for the soapbox, hope someone
who has been through a similar set of circumstances can help me out.  To put
my own RAM in or not, that is the latest question!

Dan Roman   Internet:  droman@amiglynx.nj.us   GEnie:  D.ROMAN1

     A1000 --> 3000 FINALLY!!!           Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (06/06/91)

I have had a Panasonic 1124 with my A3000 since day one and it's worked like a  gem! It works on my A1000 as well.

--
ACK!!!!
	-Bill the Cat

Amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu	            .....Paul......

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (06/06/91)

droman@amiglynx.UUCP (Dan Roman) writes:
>Anyway, I also had another problem.  My Panasonic 1124 printer does not work
>with the 3000.

I've used a KX-P1124 with my A3000 for almost a year without any
problems. I'd say you've either got a cable problem, or a blown 8520.
Are both the BUSY and SEL lines connected?

>Just found out this weekend that DCTV does not run on my 3000 but the thing
>was developed on the 3000 so what gives.  A friend came over my house to demo

A friend's DCTV almost works on my A3000, it works ok, except the
digitizer always drops part of the frame. The word from DC was that it
was a very early DCTV unit, and should be returned for an update.

I can't answer the warranty questions, but I've had my A3000 open so
many times that it should have velcro instead of screws. :-)

Installing the RAM is a pain because you have to almost completely
disassemble the machine, but it's not difficult if you know your way
around a screwdriver. You just need to be careful putting the chips into
the sockets, ZIP legs will bend a lot easier than DIPs.

No tape drive will fit inside the case, but you do have room for one
more hard or floppy drive. Early A3000's required you to provide your
own cables, but I think this has been corrected.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g

In article <droman.5076@amiglynx.UUCP> droman@amiglynx.UUCP (Dan Roman) writes:

>Anyway, I also had another problem.  My Panasonic 1124 printer does not work
>with the 3000.  It works with a 386 clone and my 1000, I have another printer
>that works with the 3000 and everything else, even use the same cable but the
>3000 and the 1124 don't get along.  I eventually traced it to the fact that
>the 3000 requires 20mA on the SEL line and the 1124 can only deliver 5mA.

I don't know much about how they configure the print lines in software, but
I know the 8520 ports just fine.  As an output, the 8520s can sink 20mA (at
least on the "B" ports, though SEL is actually an "A" port bit).  If your
printer is driving an 8520 input, like SEL, it only needs about 1.5mA to get
PSEL low, near as I can figure.  Since there's a 3.3K pullup on PSEL, it goes
high if your printer doesn't do anything.  If your printer can really sink
5mA on that line, and it's not going low at the A3000, I suggest your cable
is loosing too much between the printer and the A3000, assuming PSEL really
is the problem.

>I've gotten around it by forcing SEL high all the time using the +5 from the
>3000.  That's capable of outputting 20mA.

As I mentioned above, SEL on the A3000 is high if you do nothing; you
configure that port line as an input, connect nothing to it, it goes high.

>I love this machine but did I get a lemon?  Now the DCTV folks are telling me
>to measure my +5 and +12 volts on the RGB connector.  Good thing I have an
>ammeter.

Hopefully you have a voltmeter too :-).  It's possible that your protected
power going out got zapped when the DCTV was installed.  Hope you didn't plug
it in with the power on.  I don't know anything at all about DCTV, but if you
measure voltage out the video port of the A3000, that can't be it.  In any
case, DCTV probably shouldn't be drawing power from the A3000 itself, there
are only a few hundred milliamps available at ports.  If they're pulling
current beyond the specs, they could very well expect to work on some machines
and fail on others.  Like I said, I don't know DCTV at all.  In general, lots
of developers tend to igore the power specs unless they get into trouble
themselves.  Unfortunate, since the user is the loser, it has happened more
than once.

>Suppose I put in a tape drive or extra floppy or bigger hard disk.  Would my
>warranty be voided?

I don't know the warrenty, but I certainly don't think so.  C= does sell the
A3000 as an expandable machine, and they do sell floppy add-in kits.  I know
they void your A500's warrenty if you open it, but that's to be expected, as
it's not internally expandable.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.

easton@zds-oem.zds.com (Jeff Easton) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.161836.8089@javelin.sim.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>droman@amiglynx.UUCP (Dan Roman) writes:

[Talking A3000's here]

>No tape drive will fit inside the case, but you do have room for one
>more hard or floppy drive. Early A3000's required you to provide your
>own cables, but I think this has been corrected.

  Nope.  My brand new 3000/16 (50 Mb HD, 1 floppy) came with the following;

    Floppy ribbon cable with second drive connector installed, ready to
     be plugged into a drive.
    1 extra 3.5" floppy style DC power connector
    1 extra 5.25" (or 3.5" HD) DC power connector
    1 SCSI ribbon cable ending in a male (!) connector just after the HD.
    1 Bag of screws taped (!) to the empty drive bay.

  It appears that if you want to add your own second hard disk, you need to
provide your own section of ribbon cable, connected to the male header
and your new drive.  This makes sense since you wouldnt want a foot of
cable laying in the case unterminated.

  The lasted date I could find on my unit was stamped on the floppy
drive as Jan. 1991.

>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108

        Jeff Easton               Zenith Data Systems
     // Systems Engineer
   \X/  easton%zds-oem@caspian.cs.andrews.edu
	easton@andrews.edu
   What?  Preemptive Multitasking in only 256K of RAM?  :^)  :^)

droman@amiglynx.UUCP (Dan Roman) (06/10/91)

The saga continues....Blain Gardner writes:
>I've used a KX-P1124 with my A3000 for almost a year without any
>problems. I'd say you've either got a cable problem, or a blown 8520.
>Are both the BUSY and SEL lines connected?

Both the BUSY and SEL lines are connected to their repective pins.  BUSY line
is OK, SEL is not.  BUSY line does not draw 20mA, SEL does.  This was the case
with two different motherboards and apparently I'm going to find out about a
third.  My 3000 is back at the dealer to try to get everything straightened
out.

>A friend's DCTV almost works on my A3000, it works ok, except the
>digitizer always drops part of the frame. The word from DC was that it
>was a very early DCTV unit, and should be returned for an update.

My friend's DCTV was one of the first ones ever made.  Guess that explains a
few things.  I've heard that about 2 out of three existing DCTVs will NOT work
on a 3000.  Guess those are all the older ones.

Dan Roman   Internet:  droman@amiglynx.nj.us   GEnie:  D.ROMAN1

     A1000 --> 3000 FINALLY!!!           Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

dvsg0223@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Salamon) (06/11/91)

I'm using a Panasonic KX-P1124 on my A3000 with no problems also.  Maybe your
printer has a problem.

David

In article <1991Jun10.174951.456@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dvsg0223@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Salamon) writes:
>I'm using a Panasonic KX-P1124 on my A3000 with no problems also.  Maybe your
>printer has a problem.

Strangely enough, now I'm using a Panasonic KX-P1124 on my home system.  Works
good.  Nice printer.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.