[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Productivity vs. HiRes-Interlace

seebs@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (The Laughing Prophet) (06/12/91)

in article <1991Jun11.184413.10125@newserve.cc.binghamton.edu>,
consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:
>I am seeing smooth sprite movement and flickerless screen updates in
>Productivity.  I'm sure you've seen objects like the mouse pointer
>become all fuzzy and shakey when you move it up and down, and when
>things move around on the screen you can see the scan update fields
>overlap each other.

Hmm... That's odd. I get smooth mouse movements, et. al., in hires-interlace.
Are you sure your display enhancer is working? I mean, my mouse pointer has
never become fuzzy and shakey, unless I'm trying to run a euro-demo. ;-)
And the only time I ever have my screen look weird while I move stuff, is when
I move my pointer off the visible portion of my (larger than screen size)
work bench.

>But it is nice for lots of colors, but I can't use it for very long when
>doing serious work.  Especially when I type in interlaced mode.  When a
>character appears on the screen, you can actually see it being created:
>fuzzy first, then (when the second vertical refresh comes in) the rest
>of it.  It's kinda like watching those older near-letter-quality
>printers print, one pass at a time, putting together a final product.

I only get that when I'm scrolling large boxes of text (like, screen-size
shells) and it still happens in productivity, for me... I think the chip
is being overworked.

>I dunno.  VGA isn't really a 'standard' anyway these days.

Such truth and beauty.

>Kris

--SeebS-- (ps: yes, I have been testing productivity vs. interlace. I'm
*not* guessing...)

ps: any one know of a way to get WB2.0 to come up in lo-res, with more
than 16 colors? Like, just as a curiosity item? ;-)
--
Peter Seebach - The Laughing Prophet     |     |        Anonymous Posting Here!
I don't speak for St. Olaf, St. Olaf     |     |           seebs@acc.stolaf.edu