[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Need Quantum Q250 Specs

benw@cbnewsm.att.com (bennett.weber) (06/07/91)

I recently obtained a Quantum Q250 SCSI drive, painfully extracted
from a MAC, with nary a piece of documentation to its name.
Does anyone have the necessary mountlist parameters
to set up this drive (and jumper assignments, etc)?
I have an amiga 500 (1.3KS, 1 Meg) and a DataFlyer
Controller.  The Dataflyer disk prep program gurus on it!

					Thanks,
					Ben Weber
					cbnewsm!benw

davem@col.hp.com (Dave K. Martin) (06/07/91)

I don't know if these are useful for what you need but you might want to try
these settings:

QUANTUM        408-262-1100
MODEL                            CAP   CYC  H  RWC  WPC ENC  RATE ACCESS
	SCSI
	Q-250            5.25 HH  53   823  4  -    -   R    10   26 MS
	Q-280            5.25 HH  80   823  6  -    -   R    10   26 MS
	Q-160            5.25 HH  200  -   12  -    -   R    10   26 MS
	PRO40             3.5"    42   -    -  -    -   -    -    19 MS
	PRO80             3.5"    84   -    -  -    -   -    -    19 MS
	PRO120            3.5"    120  -    -  -    -   -    -    19 MS
	PRO170            3.5"    168  -    -  -    -   -    -    19 MS
-----------------------------------------------------------10/2/89-----------
|       CAP   = CAPACITY IN FORMATTED MEGABYTES
|       CYC   = MAXIMUM NUMBER OF CYLINDERS
|       H     = NUMBER OF DATA HEADS
|       RWC   = START REDUCED WRITE CURRENT
|       WPC   = START WRITE PRECOMP
|               IF IT'S = CYC + 1 THEN IT IS NOT USED
|       ENC   = ENCODING METHOD R=RLL, M=MFM
|       RATE  = TRANSFER RATE IN MEGABITS/SEC
|       HH    = HALF HIGH FORM FACTOR
|       R     = RLL (run length limited)
|       N     = NRZ (non return to zero)
|       M     = MFM (modified frequency modulation)
|       SA    = STAND ALONE
|       Z     = ZBR

This was extracted from a list of many different hard drives and parameters
that I pulled off of SCI.ELECTRONICS recently so I make no claims of accuracy
or useability.  If there is enough interest, I can post the entire list which
covers arount 250 different drives.

hope this is useful...
davem

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (06/08/91)

I just bought and installed a Quantum PD105 (Q105), 3.5" half height, and
I still kept my Quantum LPS52 3.5" 1/3 height in my A3000. The 105 seems
clink a bit louder, and a bit slower than the 52, also much heavier. I
wonder what is the access time of each drive, and speed, buffer size?
I bought the Q105 at Warehouse 54 from a Mac magazine for a very good
price ($343 include shipping and handling), it comes with internal
scsi cable, 2 power cables, and a MacII mount bracket and a Mac setup
disk.

Is there an LED output from the drives? I'm thinking about adding 2 LEDs to
indicate which drive is being accessed (right now I go by sound).

Also, I just added 4M of SC DRAM ZIP to my 3000, the avail command shows
that I have 2047 kilobytes (I divided the number by 1024) of Chip ram,
which I should have 2MB, is this normal, or I have 1 KB missing?
The fast shows I have exactly 3.5 MB total, which is right, after kickstart
takes up 512k.

Thanks,
David Tse
e-mail please send to coxc0032@ucselx.sdsu.edu, my account is expiring soon.

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.222535.24387@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) writes:
>Is there an LED output from the drives? I'm thinking about adding 2 LEDs to
>indicate which drive is being accessed (right now I go by sound).

I think there's a pair of solder pads on the bottom of the Quatum LPS52
for "drive active" LED.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions are those of the user, and not of this machine.

Eric.Sanders@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Eric Sanders) (06/11/91)

AREA:UUCP_HRDWR
David, there in no connector for an external LED on the Q105.  If you
feel able, you can take the board off of the drive, unsolder the LED,
install two pins bent to 90 deg..  Of course it will void you're
warrenty but the mod. does work. :>

AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway |Eric Sanders - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
    1:110/300 Dayton, Ohio     |UUCP: afitamy!210!Eric.Sanders
        (513)-252-7681         |ARPA: Eric.Sanders@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG

wally@athenanet.com (Wally Hartshorn) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun7.222535.24387@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) writes:
>I just bought and installed a Quantum PD105 (Q105), 3.5" half height, and
>wonder what is the access time of each drive, and speed, buffer size?
>Is there an LED output from the drives? I'm thinking about adding 2 LEDs to
>indicate which drive is being accessed (right now I go by sound).

According to the specs in Quantum's Technical Reference Manual, Rev 10/90,
page 1-1, here are the specs:

SCSI ProDrive 105S (half height):
	105 MB formatted
	205,075 logical blocks
	6/3 heads/disks
	19ms average seek time
	12ms effective average access time with DisCache
	64K DisCache buffer
	50,000 POH mean time between failure
	1.625" high X 4.0" wide X 5.75" deep
	4 to 50 degrees C operating temperature
	8 watts idle power consumption
	9 watts typical (30% seek) power consumption

SCSI ProDrive LPS 52S (third height):
	52 MB formatted
	102,171 logical blocks
	2/1 heads/disks
	17ms average seek time
	< 12ms effective average access time with DisCache
	64K DisCache buffer
	60,000 POH mean time between failure
	1.0" high X 4.0" wide X 5.75" deep
	4 to 50 degrees C operating temperature
	4.5 watts idle power consumption
	5.5 watts typical (30% seek) power consumption

Note that these specs are for the old (half height) 105S and the new (third
height) 52S.  The new 105S has specs equivalent to those of the new 52S as
far as access time, etc, are concerned.

Sorry, but I don't have any specs on a Q250.  Did you mean the Q210S?  That's
the old half height.  I believe they just came out with a third height
version.  Anyway, the old version was similar, with a seek time of < 15ms
and an effective access time of < 12ms.  I expect the new LPS version is
faster.

Yes, there is an LED hookup, at least on the LPS Q105S that I just got.
The lead is on the front of the drive.  If you bought the older version,
I don't know if it has one or not.

You might try calling tech support: (408) 894-5390 (voice) or
(408) 894-3225 (fax).  Leave a message on the voice mail system and they'll
get the information you need.
--
Wally Hartshorn (uunet!pallas!wally or wally@athenanet.com)
President, Amiga Computer Enthusiasts of Springfield (ACES)