[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Need info on GVP '030 Combo board

lhoward@javelin.sim.es.com (Larry Howard) (06/05/91)

I'm interrested in purchasing a GVP 68030/68882/Ram/SCSI controller
board, and I am hoping someone has some good information on it.

What I'm mainly interrested in is its hardware and software
compatability with other Amiga hardware & software.
	What doesn't it work with at all?
	What needs modification to work with it?
	Where does one get the SIMM32 chips needed by the board?
	How well does the SCSI controller work compared to the normal
		GVP Series I & II controllers?
Any anything else you thing I should know before making a decision.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Larry

--
lhoward@javelin.sim.es.com
Larry Howard   Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.  Salt Lake City,Utah

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (06/05/91)

lhoward@javelin.sim.es.com (Larry Howard) writes:

> I'm interrested in purchasing a GVP 68030/68882/Ram/SCSI controller
> board, and I am hoping someone has some good information on it.

Before I make any sweeping generalizations, I just want to state that
my response here is after only 1.5 hours of playing with the new GVP
Combo board in a brandy new A2000.

> What I'm mainly interrested in is its hardware and software
> compatability with other Amiga hardware & software.
> 	What doesn't it work with at all?
> 	What needs modification to work with it?
> 	Where does one get the SIMM32 chips needed by the board?
> 	How well does the SCSI controller work compared to the normal
> 		GVP Series I & II controllers?
> Any anything else you thing I should know before making a decision.

First of all, the board we purchased was the 22mhz version with the
Quantum 52lps drive.  So, we get a 22mhz 68030, 68882 math chip, DMA
SCSI controller with external port as well as up to 16 meg of 60ns
ram.  Our board (actually our clients board) was populated with 5
megs of 32 bit ram and we were running WB 1.3.3 direct from Commodore
which came with the new A2000.

The system we are *trying* to setup is a turnkey Toaster setup for a
local cable company.  We installed the combo board per instructions
and set all jumpers accordingly.  Prepped and formatted the hard
drive and loaded WB 1.3.3 onto the drive.  All ran smooth.  We did
some tests with the GVP software and all seems to be fine.  We then
installed the Toaster and it's rev. 1.0 software as per the
installation program for turnkey startup (boots into the Toaster on
powerup).  All seemed fine once again.  The Toaster initialized just
fine and seemed to work just fine.   Here is where our problems began
however.

It seems there must be an incompatibility problem with the new Combo
board.  I am assuming the previous at this point in time until we can
figure out *exactly* what is causing the problems.  Everything for
the Toaster works just fine except for ToasterPaint and Lightwave 3D.
These programs begin to load and then they just crash.  We don't see
a guru or anything.  The system just locks up.  I imagine there is a
guru somewhere in there but we can't see it.  When I press the left
mouse button the system reboots as if there were a guru.  We also did
a test with Imagine.  A scene that rendered just fine on my Commodore
25mhz based 030 system rendered with garbage in the image on the new
system with the combo board.

At this point in time, I am assuming the problems lie with the combo
board until we can further research and test out the problems.  The
Toaster software and Imagine both run fine on our other stock 2000
systems as well as on our 030 based systems such as the old GVP and
the Commodore 030.

I would have to say at this point there may be incompatibility
problems associated with the 22mhz combo board but I wouldn't bet my
life on it.  It just seems that way from our initial inspection.

Just for your info, we don't add *anything* to the startup-sequence
and we don't have anything else running in the background.  Just the
straight Toaster software and WB 1.3.3 are loaded on the harder.

As for performance, the combi board seems to work well as a SCSI
controller.  It is blindingly fast with the 52lps drive.  The RAM
installation is a snap, literally with the 4megx1 SIMMs. We got ours
right from GVP.  As for the 030/882 performance.  A scene I rendered
on my A2500 with 25mhz 030 rendered in 3min 49 seconds.  On the combi
board it took the same scene 4min 43 seconds and the image had
garbage in it (with Imagine in scanline mode).  I don't have an
explaination for the garbage.  The speed difference could be from the
fact that we *didn't* run setcpu 1.6 on the Combi system and did on
the 2500 system but I'm unsure about that.  GVP claims that thier
22mhz board will beat most 25mhz boards due to thier special design
and ram speed/paths.  That remains to be seen.

> Any and all information will be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thank you.
>
> Larry

You're welcome.  I would like to point out that this was just a quick
test and by no means an in depth evaluation.  However, due to the
initial problems associated with the setup and running of the board,
I must say I have a sour taste in my mouth for the product.  I hope
the problems we are experiencing are easily remidied and I would love
for this board to work out as it seems to be a very good deal.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

rcj2@cbnewsd.att.com (ray.c.jender) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.005239.27258@javelin.sim.es.com> lhoward@javelin.sim.es.com (Larry Howard) writes:
>I'm interrested in purchasing a GVP 68030/68882/Ram/SCSI controller
>board, and I am hoping someone has some good information on it.
>
>What I'm mainly interrested in is its hardware and software
>compatability with other Amiga hardware & software.
>	What doesn't it work with at all?
>	What needs modification to work with it?
>	Where does one get the SIMM32 chips needed by the board?
>	How well does the SCSI controller work compared to the normal
>		GVP Series I & II controllers?
>Any anything else you thing I should know before making a decision.
>
>Any and all information will be greatly appreciated!
>
>Thank you.
>
>Larry

	Well, let's see what software I have that works with the Combo-33:

		ProPage 2.0
		ProDraw 2.0
		Deluxe PhotoLab (1.0?)
		Express Paint 3.0
		Digi-Paint (3.0?)
		PixMate
		PenPal 1.3.?
		PageRender 3D ?.?
		Design 3D 1.0
		Pixel 3D 1.1
		VT100 (comm program)

	As far as stuff that don't work:

		NoClick v2.? ( You'd need v3.6 I've heard...)

	That's it as far as I know. As far as the memory goes,
	Safe Harrbor has them for $499.00/4meg.... kinda steep
	to me. Don't know anything about the GVP Series I or II
	controllers. I'm using a slooowwww Harddrive (ST157N) so
	I can't say too much about disk access speed.

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (06/07/91)

In article <9716@cognos.UUCP>, alb@cognos.UUCP (Al Belyea)
writes:

> 1. The ads say that the 22MHZ comes with 1 Meg and the 33
> MHZ comes with 4 meg standard and both are upgradeable 4
> megs at a time. Is this correct?

Yes, a maximum of three user-installable SIMMs for an
on-board maximum of 13 MB on the 22-MHz version and 16 MB on
the 33-MHz. The 22-MHz board also supports 1-meg SIMMs.

> 2. Does the board come with an external SCSI connector?

Yes, it includes both an internal (50 pin) and an external
(25 pin) SCSI connector.

> If so, is it possible to only use the external SCSI
> connector? (ie. no internal drive hooked up, but an
> external drive hooked up)

Sure, why not?

> 3. Has anyone tried using a SyQuest with the board? Was it
> successful?

The SQ555 has been tested successfully.

> 4. Will it work with a Rev 4.4 motherboard

It should.

> with the 1.2 ROMS

Sorry, no!

> or do I need to upgrade to the 1.3 ROMS?

Since the combo board requires an autoconfig ROM, you have
to upgrade to at least 1.3 (1.2 expansion.library doesn't
support autoconfig ROMs).

Ralph

alb@cognos.UUCP (Al Belyea) (06/08/91)

I also need info on the GVP '030 Combo board:

1. The ads say that the 22MHZ comes with 1 Meg and the 33 MHZ comes with 4 meg
standard and both are upgradeable 4 megs at a time. Is this correct?

2. Does the board come with an external SCSI connector? If so, is it possible
to only use the external SCSI connector? (ie. no internal drive hooked up,
but an external drive hooked up)

3. Has anyone tried using a SyQuest with the board? Was it successful?

4. Will it work with a Rev 4.4 motherboard with the 1.2 ROMS or do I need to
upgrade to the 1.3 ROMS?

Thanks in advance for any info!

--
Allan Belyea              UUCP:                          3755 Riverside Dr.
Cognos Incorporated       alb@cognos                     P.O. Box 9707

niklas@appli.se (Niklas Hallqvist) (06/12/91)

There has been a lot of talk of a GVP card that is both an
accelerator (68030 at different speeds), memory expansion
(up to 16 Meg) and a SCSI-controller.  This card sounds
great... but expensive.  Is it?  Where can I get such a
card?  Do they have E-mail addresses or FAX-numbers?  Are
there any representatives in Europe, perhaps even in Sweden.
Are there any technical material available?  At what price?
(What I mean with technical material is:  enough info to
write my own hard-disk driver, e.g. in MINIX or AMIX)
Are there any plans to support Amiga Unix System V.4?

					Niklas

--
Niklas Hallqvist	Phone: +46-(0)31-40 75 00
Applitron Datasystem	Fax:   +46-(0)31-83 39 50