[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amiga portable

swansonc@balder.acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson, Systems Operator - ACC @ St. Olaf College) (04/13/90)

I have heard rummors of an Amiga compatable portable that is due to be
released late this spring or early this summer by a W-German company.
Has anyone else heard of this machine or know more about it, or is it
just vapor-ware?  Please e-mail me the responces, and I will post a
follow-up if there is enough interest.

						-Chris

--
Chris Swanson, Academic Computing Center, St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN 55057
	INTERNET:  swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu	UUCP: swansonc@stolaf

dan@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu (Daniel Heath) (05/25/91)

 Hey all,

     I seem to remember, way back when, that there was talk of an amiga
portable.  What ever came of that?  I currently have a 2000 but I really
need a portable, to the point that I may be willing to sell my 2000 to get
one.  I use my system primarily for MIDI. I really like my amiga and would
hate to buy another kind of system, but I am considering something like a
STacy (no flames, please :-) . I also have so much time and money invested
amiga software and stuff that it would hurt to change over.  So, any word
on the amiga portable?

                                     Thanks in advance,
                                     Dan Heath
                                     dan@garfield.catt.ncsu.edu

force@minnie.cs.su.OZ.AU (Jason Henry Den Dulk) (05/27/91)

The last I heard was that the amiga portable was scraped due to legal
problems. I know this a blow to the
amiga community, considering the increased popularity of laptops, but it
happens. We really should press
Commodore to market a wider range of machines, including '020s (on the
motherboard) and laptops, but knowing
how slack Commodore is, I doubt this would ever happen.

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

				force@cs.su.oz

chiu@ucsee.Berkeley.EDU (James Chiu) (05/27/91)

In article <2466@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> force@minnie.cs.su.OZ.AU (Jason Henry Den Dulk) writes:
>The last I heard was that the amiga portable was scraped due to legal
>problems. I know this a blow to the
>amiga community, considering the increased popularity of laptops, but it
>happens. We really should press
>Commodore to market a wider range of machines, including '020s (on the
>motherboard) and laptops, but knowing
>how slack Commodore is, I doubt this would ever happen.

Care to comment as to what KIND of legal problem?

>MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

But my dear sir, I ain't no Jedi Knight!

Henry Den Dulk) writes:
> >The last I heard was that the amiga portable was scraped due to
> >legal problems.
>

> Care to comment as to what KIND of legal problem?

I can't be sure, but it's a good bet that it has to do with copyright/patent
violations.

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

				force@cs.su.oz

cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (05/27/91)

In article <2468@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> force@minnie.cs.su.OZ.AU (Jason Henry Den Dulk) writes:

>> Care to comment as to what KIND of legal problem?
>>
>I can't be sure, but it's a good bet that it has to do with copyright/patent
>violations.

I knew a guy who had made a portable Amiga 2000, (It was a HUGE portable), but
he got heat from commodore...  It wasn't copyright or patent problems, because
he used STOCK Amiga 2000's to make his portable, therefore he owned the machine
and could do what he wanted with it. (Throw it off a bridge if you want to, but
who would!)  Something about how they might do it one day, and they didn't want
any inferior things on the market... (He wired it up to have more ports, and
some other neat stuff...)  Anything of this sort, where you use the original
components, can be classified as an addon, of enhancment, which 3rd parties
are free to make.  Look at Bodega Bay, and the A1500 case.  These are basically
the same thing as making a portable Amiga.  Problem is that no one has been
able to do it using, stock Amiga computers, and make it small, and useable.
The one I am talking about was from Micro Momentum, about 3 or 4 years ago.
(This baby was HUGE!!!)

Christopher Walton
cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu

johns@dworkin.Amber.COM (John Silvia) (05/28/91)

The only other Amiga Portable that I had heard of was one that I reported to
INFO Magazine a long while ago.  The President and Founder of DynaMac Inc.
Who's brother I was working with in the State of N.J. had gotten me to talk
with him, and in our conversations he let me "in" on the secret project that
he was working on.

The project was the taking of an A500 and repackaging it into a portable
case, and adding a display that would operate on batteries.  This was a "go"
until the investing company for the DynaMac decided that the Amiga was not
worth the trouble of repackaging, so they canned the entire project.

Note that Dynamac went out of business on a similar note.  DynaMac built
their portable macs the same way that they wanted to do the Amiga clones -
they would buy Mac Pluses and take them apart, and then
scavence/remanufacture/recase parts as necessary.

Their largest problem was with price.  The cost of taking apart a machine
that cost the same as one for college students was just too much overhead,
and Apple managed to kill the company by milking them in the wallet.

bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.033800.9769@agate.berkeley.edu>, chiu@ucsee.Berkeley.EDU (James Chiu) writes:
> In article <2466@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> force@minnie.cs.su.OZ.AU (Jason Henry Den Dulk) writes:
>>The last I heard was that the amiga portable was scraped due to legal
>>problems. I know this a blow to the

> Care to comment as to what KIND of legal problem?

        The 'portable' was not being developed by C=. It was/is(?) being
developed by a third party company (name forgotten) in Germany. The first
prototype that I heard about used an A500 motherboard. I've heard nothing
else since then. Although the 'protable' may have died, the development
that did go into it has produced some marketable products, such as a 2.5"
internal hard disk for the A500 (exactly how they fit the interface I
don't know. Possibly a piggyback arrangement in the 68000 socket). I only
heard about the internal disk from a european magazine reviewing an Amiga
expo about a year ago. I have no idea if it ever went on sale to the public.

           Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au  OR  bull@monu1.cc.monash.oz
                      Alias: Gareth Bull, The Opal Dragon
                    DOD# 251  '84 VF 750   Closet Ducatisti
       Disclaimer: "It's a cruel world when you can't afford a Ducati."

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (05/28/91)

bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au writes:
>        The 'portable' was not being developed by C=. It was/is(?) being
>developed by a third party company (name forgotten) in Germany. The first

I believe it was GigaTron, i could be wrong though.

>prototype that I heard about used an A500 motherboard. I've heard nothing
>else since then. Although the 'protable' may have died, the development
>that did go into it has produced some marketable products, such as a 2.5"
>internal hard disk for the A500 (exactly how they fit the interface I
>don't know. Possibly a piggyback arrangement in the 68000 socket). I only
>heard about the internal disk from a european magazine reviewing an Amiga
>expo about a year ago. I have no idea if it ever went on sale to the public.

of course, actually the internal drive is produced by ICD, a very American
company.  it's called the Novia, and uses a standard 2.5" IDE drive.  nothing
major, just uses a VERY small interface hooked into the 68000 socket.  I
really don't like these very much, if you buy one of them, the you decide to
get a MegaMidget Racer or something you have to lose the HD.

.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| UUCP: {amdahl!tcnet, crash}!orbit!pnet51!chucks | "I know he's come back |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!chucks@nosc.mil        | from the dead, but do  |
| INET: chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org                  | you really think he's  |
|-------------------------------------------------| moved back in?"        |
| Amiga programmer at large, employment options   | Lou Diamond Philips in |
| welcome, inquire within.                        | "The First Power".     |

johns@dworkin.Amber.COM (John Silvia) (05/28/91)

BULL, you mentioned something about a 2.5" hard disk for the A500, and I
though that you should know that in all the Amiga Mag's like Amigaworld and
such, there are ads for those new controllers all over the place.  The new
controllers, namely the AdIDE, requires the removal of the 68000 and placing
it into a socket on this board, and then placing the board into the same
socket where the CPU goes.  Then a Conner or other small ide drive connects
up and there is a quick 20 megs under the hood.

It should not be impossible to build a portable 500 using some of these new
parts that are out there, the only problem is that making the machine small
would be difficult.  The keyboard could not be moved over, and the
motherboard in a 500 is large enough that moving it into a smaller case
would be a nightmare.  The most portable that an A500 would be is a little
larger than a Compaq Portable 3, and they aren't portable by my standards.

monty@sagpd1 (05/29/91)

    I think there are two major stumbling blocks in the way of a portable
    Amiga: 1) the price of color LCD displays are still horrible, and 2)
    the custom chip set is much to power hungry to put in anything that
    uses battries. There is one other factor that probably slows it down
    and that is precieved market, just how many could they sell? The
    European market may support them but at present the U.S. market
    would not.

    Just my two cents worth,

    Monty Saine

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) (05/29/91)

[ Followup-To has been set to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy where IMHO
this discussion belongs. ]

I hate to say it, but who would really PURCHASE an Amiga Portable?

The price would be more than an Amiga 500, so forget that market.
That market wouldn't want to play games on an LCD display anyway.

The price would be more than an Amiga 2000, so maybe that market would
have a chance, but at that price the person could buy an Amiga 2500 or
3000.  80% of those sales are in video or graphics production.  Who
would want to do either of those on an LCD?

What are portables good for?  So far, they are good for
meat-and-potato applications (word processing mostly) and off-site
data-entry (sales people et al) which are best done on cheap portable
PC clones.  If your main application is on the Amiga, there is no
reason that you can't do data entry or text processing (initial text
entry) on a cheap portable PC clone and upload it to the Amiga for
processing, formatting, printing, etc.

Just MHO,
Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli  tlimonce@drew.edu  tlimonce@drew.bitnet  201-408-5389
                 "People in tight pants, moving fast."

In article <2466@cluster.cs.su.oz.au> force@minnie.cs.su.OZ.AU (Jason Henry Den Dulk) writes:
>The last I heard was that the amiga portable was scraped due to legal
>problems.

What Amiga portable?  There aren't any likely legal problems for C= or a third
party building such a beast, if they approach it properly.  Witness the Mac
market.  Apple actively tried to discourage non-Apple Macs, but still this
laptop "DynaMac" was done by a 3rd party, by canniblizing Macs.  C= hasn't
announced any plans to do a portable.  I suspect any third party project that
was cancelled was cancelled as a "business decision", not a "legal problem".

>I know this a blow to the amiga community, considering the increased
>popularity of laptops, but it happens.

An Amiga battery-operated laptop, at present, is impossible.  Amigas eat too
much juice.  Doesn't matter who makes it.

>We really should press Commodore to market a wider range of machines,
>including '020s (on the motherboard) and laptops,

Hey, you got '030s on the motherboard, whaddya need '020s for?  As for laptops,
we'd all like them too.  Maybe some day...

>but knowing how slack Commodore is, I doubt this would ever happen.

Hey, since WHEN has SLACK been a problem?  What are you, PINK or something.

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

chucks@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Erik Funkenbusch) (05/30/91)

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli +1 201 408 5389) writes:
>[ Followup-To has been set to comp.sys.amiga.advocacy where IMHO
>this discussion belongs. ]
>
>I hate to say it, but who would really PURCHASE an Amiga Portable?

*I* would buy a portable.  why?  simple.  I use an IBM at work, I am a
programmer.  I don't LIKE the IBM.  my company won't buy me an Amiga.  I DON"T
want to buy an Amiga for the Office only.  I DO want an amiga i could bring
into work, work on things on the Amiga, xfer them to the PC when i'm done, not
only that, but i can work on my own programs during lunch break, etc.. (i have
quite a bit of free time).  of all the people i know who own amiga's, i know
of 6 others that would also purchase portables.  their reasons are different,
some are that they travel quite a bit, and like the flexibility offered by
Amiga programs and the ability to mix-n-match programs to get an optimum
environment, and don't want to have to learn IBM packages.  some are because
they move their computer around alot, and a system designed to be portable
would just plain be more convenient.  I have a 2500 and certainly CAN'T move
this around all the time, the situation will get worse when the 3000T comes
out, that is even LESS moveable.  I want the power of the Amiga in something i
can take with me, wheather it's to the office, or on a trip.  even an amiga
with a handle and a small monitor would be better than lugging a 500 around. I
*DO* see a market for one.  granted it is (currently) LESS than the 500
market, but possible more than the 2500 market.

jtravis@dworkin.Amber.COM (Jim, Sysop) (05/30/91)

johns@dworkin.Amber.COM (John Silvia) writes:

> The only other Amiga Portable that I had heard of was one that I reported to
> INFO Magazine a long while ago.  The President and Founder of DynaMac Inc.
> Who's brother I was working with in the State of N.J. had gotten me to talk
> with him, and in our conversations he let me "in" on the secret project that
> he was working on.
>
> The project was the taking of an A500 and repackaging it into a portable
> case, and adding a display that would operate on batteries.  This was a "go"
> until the investing company for the DynaMac decided that the Amiga was not
> worth the trouble of repackaging, so they canned the entire project.
>
> Note that Dynamac went out of business on a similar note.  DynaMac built
> their portable macs the same way that they wanted to do the Amiga clones -
> they would buy Mac Pluses and take them apart, and then
> scavence/remanufacture/recase parts as necessary.
>
> Their largest problem was with price.  The cost of taking apart a machine
> that cost the same as one for college students was just too much overhead,
> and Apple managed to kill the company by milking them in the wallet.

Actually, Dyanmac was bought up by Apple Computer, in lieu of litagation.

        Jim

And I think we're all thinking of the Amiga portable project by the German
company Gigatronics.  What ever happened to them?  Are they still around?

         ..and now the commercial..

--------///----------------------------------------------------------
       ///   Jim Trascapoulos  *  CSAccess BBS  *  609-584-8774
      ///      *** Usenet: jtravis@dworkin.amber.mccc.Edu ***
\\\  ///  "I was told once that people don't like to think anymore,
 \\\///         so I tried to sell one a Mac.  It worked."
--\XX/---------------------------------------------------------------

"Spread the legs, open breach, erect launcher,
 apply lube, ram home into the breach, fire."
     -Field Artillery manual

jma@retiree.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (06/01/91)

John Preston of Preston Enterprises at (904) 968-2232 has built an Amiga portable.  It's the size
of a Compaq XT transportable, since he uses Compaq cases.  There is no legal problems since Commodore sells
Amigas and Amiga boards OEM (a la NewTek...)

--
John  M.  Adams   --****--   Professional Student      ///
Internet: jma@cis.ufl.edu            Genie:  vlad     ///  Only the Amiga

logan@netxcom.netx.com (Jim Logan) (06/12/91)

In article <22000@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com
(Dave Haynie) writes:
# Hey, since WHEN has SLACK been a problem?  What are you, PINK or something.

Interesting to find someone else out there that knows Dr. Bob Dobbs.

--
Jim Logan                Home: logan@gimlet.cntv.va.us
Consultant               Work: logan@netx.com

rang@cz2.ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) (06/12/91)

In article <453@netxcom.netx.com> logan@netxcom.netx.com (Jim Logan) writes:
>In article <22000@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com
>(Dave Haynie) writes:
># Hey, since WHEN has SLACK been a problem?  What are you, PINK or something.
>Interesting to find someone else out there that knows Dr. Bob Dobbs.

Remember, BOB is your key phrase.
A friendly Church of the Subgenious message.

					Roger P. Ang (rang@ICS.UCI.EDU)
"Hey, Dyna-Pink.  Nice tattoo."		Grad student at the
Mr. Wonderful - DynaMan			Dept. of Info. & Comp. Sci.
					Univ. of California, Irvine.

rabbits@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (66314000) (06/12/91)

does anyone know if commodore has definitly-for-sure
cancelled all plans for making an amiga portable ???

thnx
me

orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) (06/12/91)

#
#Interesting to find someone else out there that knows Dr. Bob Dobbs.
#
#
"Bob" is.
"Bob" becomes.
"Bob" is not.

--
"One man's 'harsh and bitter truth' is another man's 'foolish and uninformed
fiction'" -d.haynie

In article <16956@darkstar.ucsc.edu> rabbits@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (66314000) writes:

>does anyone know if commodore has definitly-for-sure
>cancelled all plans for making an amiga portable ???

Philosophically speaking, if you never had such plans in the first place,
could their current state of nonexistence be considered cancellation?  I think
not.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.