[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] SCSI Error $IE/$68

C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) (06/11/91)

the device driver popped up with
       Device 000
       Unexpected SCSI status $IE/$68 (hmmm. probably that's 1E)

Next a read/write error requestor showed up.  I retried that and the file
system locked up.  That is, no access to the HD or the floppies.  The drive
stopped accessing.

I rebooted.  When the first partition mounted the drive light flashed once.
As each partition tried to mount, the same device error came up.  At some
point (I don't recall if it was the last partition) the file system locked up.

By powering off and leaving it off for various periods of time a few variations
showed up.

File System lockup when trying to mount the first partition, No requester.

All partitions mounted but volume names were not recognized.
(I.E.   DH0: was present but SYSTEM: was not)

Bootup successful but when a long read was ("Search UUNEWS:*/* umcvmb) was
invoked the same thing happend as the first time.

Right now, I have it powered down until I get home from work sometime after
5:00pm.  Maybe it will behave itself then.

System Configuration:
A500+NakeD+GVP Series II (4 meg installed) + Quantum 105 Prodrive.
The drive is set up as synchronous.
System power supply is Phonenix CPS 500
Drive powered by a linear power supply. (2 AMPS 12 volts sufficient 5V)
Phoneix and drive power supply grounds are tied together via ground pin
on one of the controlers power connectors.

Pioneer and Supra external floppies, A501.

Software: 1.2 ROMS, mix of WB 1.3 and 1.3.2, ARP

Eric Edwards: c506634 @    "The 3090.  Proof that by applying state of the
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu   art technology to an obsolete architecture,
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet       one can achieve mediocre performance."

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (06/14/91)

In article <19910610.43699.CDT.C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu>,
C506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Eric Edwards) writes:

> At some point (I don't recall if it was the last
> partition) the file system locked up.

Unless your Quantum and/or host adapter are about to die,
symptoms like these point to improper termination. Since
your Quantum is the only SCSI peripheral, make sure it is
terminated. The 105 has three terminator packs. They are
located next to the drive's SCSI connector. Also make sure
they are oriented properly (dot on the terminator, arrow
on the Quantum's PCB).

Ralph