[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] SCSI DB25-CEN50 cable

skelley@umiacs.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) (06/13/91)

I Just bought an external SCSI box & tapedrive (ARCHIVE VIPER)
for my A3000 & need a DB25 - CENTRONICS50 cable.  I assume the
C50 side has a std pinout but it wasn't in either the docs for
the drive or the case.

I bought a MAC cable hoping it would work (and figuring the worst
I'd have to do is clip one connector & rewire it) but I don't
want to plug a MAC *anything* into my AMIGA w/out knowing &
checking the wiring.

The A3000 intro docs describe the 50pin internal SCSI config as
well as the 25pin external one.  If the pinout for the internal
50 connector (the std(?) ribbon config) matches the CEN50 1-1
(should, shouldn't it???)  then the MAC cable won't work - I
used a continuity tester on the cable and *nothing* seemed to
be where I thot it should be.

In Short:
	1) Will the MAC cable work for the 3000?

	2) What is the pinout of a "std" CENTRONICS 50 SCSI
connector?

Thanks in advance...
Steve Kelley	UMCP CS/UMIACS
Internet:	skelley@umiacs.umd.edu
Usenet:		uunet!umiacs.umd.edu!skelley

In article <35575@mimsy.umd.edu> skelley@umiacs.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) writes:
>I Just bought an external SCSI box & tapedrive (ARCHIVE VIPER)
>for my A3000 & need a DB25 - CENTRONICS50 cable.  I assume the
>C50 side has a std pinout but it wasn't in either the docs for
>the drive or the case.

>I bought a MAC cable hoping it would work (and figuring the worst
>I'd have to do is clip one connector & rewire it) but I don't
>want to plug a MAC *anything* into my AMIGA w/out knowing &
>checking the wiring.

There are, currently, three standard SCSI connectors: 50 pin ribbon, DB25,
and the 50 pin Centronics style.  The A3000 supports the latter two.  The
DB25 pinout was first used on the Macintosh, the A3000's SCSI connector is
the same.

Therefore, assuming you have a correct DB25 to CEN50 translation cable, you
have no problems.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.