[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 External SCSI Cable Info needed

skelley@umiacs.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) (06/14/91)

This is a repost from Thurs:

	I need to get/make a SCSI cable between my A3000 and an external
case - DB25 to CENTRONICS 50.  The A3000 docs describe the pinout on
the computer side (DB25) but (since it's std I s'pose) the docs for
the case don't give the pinouts for the C50.

	I bought a MAC cable but the pinouts are so *weird* they can't be
right (for the Amiga, anyway).  (A psychadelic fruit w/ a bite missing
for a logo has got to make you wonder (;-) )

	I'm going to call the case & tape drive co.s but I'd appreciate
net response too. ie (Salesdroid: "CENTRONICS50 ??? Isn't that some
chemical found in my breatfast cereal like mono-sodium-what's-it's-mate?)
Steve Kelley	UMCP CS/UMIACS
Internet:	skelley@umiacs.umd.edu
Usenet:		uunet!umiacs.umd.edu!skelley

masaru@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Masaru Sugai) (06/15/91)

In article <35625@mimsy.umd.edu> skelley@umiacs.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) writes:
>This is a repost from Thurs:
>
>	I need to get/make a SCSI cable between my A3000 and an external
>case - DB25 to CENTRONICS 50.  The A3000 docs describe the pinout on
>the computer side (DB25) but (since it's std I s'pose) the docs for
>the case don't give the pinouts for the C50.
>
>	I bought a MAC cable but the pinouts are so *weird* they can't be
>right (for the Amiga, anyway).  (A psychadelic fruit w/ a bite missing
>for a logo has got to make you wonder (;-) )
>
>	I'm going to call the case & tape drive co.s but I'd appreciate
>net response too. ie (Salesdroid: "CENTRONICS50 ??? Isn't that some
>chemical found in my breatfast cereal like mono-sodium-what's-it's-mate?)

 I bought A3070 tape drive, and i wanted to use it with NeXT too, but I could
not find any inexpensive DB25/DB50 SCSI cable. (Besides I had to buy SCSI2/1
cable, so I mean damn cheap cable, say $20.) I have easy access to workstation
equipments, so I decided to make a custom DB25F/DB50F cable to winden
connectivity to workstation equipments w/o harming warranty.

 For those who wish to save their last pennies, here is some tips you could
modify for your requirements.

*DISCLAIMER*
 I'm not responsible for any hardware damage using my info. What you do is
what you choose :)

- scsi1docs.tar.Z under pub/next/docs from sonata.cc.purdue.edu. ($0)
  It's a bit old scsi specs, but it covers tape drive commands and hardware
  specs enough to figure out troubles during SCSI experiments.

- DB50(fe)male ribon cable type connector and flat cable ($7)
  Luckily i have an pre-SCSI HD (Sugart type)  with daisy chaining, and I
  recycled outgoing connector from drive. It is connected to ribon cable,
  and I cut it in the middle. You could ask some EE (not CS :) major-type
  guys to borrow crimping tool to push cable on to connector.

- crimp type RS232 (fe)male connector ($3)
  Avoid soldering type in any event. It took me 2 hours to strip & connect
  50 conductors to pins, but its really steady if you know what to do with
  crimp. You might be better off with metal hood ($2) though.

- One comments on ground lines. You will wonder how to finish bunch of ground
  lines in flat cable. I was told all of them should go to any ground pins on
  DB25 side.

>--
>Steve Kelley	UMCP CS/UMIACS

>Internet:	skelley@umiacs.umd.edu
>Usenet:		uunet!umiacs.umd.edu!skelley

BTW, anybody knows A3070 programming manual ? I want to know the detailed info
on its dip switches, which might change tape speed or so.

--
-- Masaru Sugai:Use disclaimer. CIS 72050,2141:NeXT + A3000 = money-eater
NEC Corporation:sugai@ccs.mt.nec.co.jp DORMANT:hardwired logic,machine language