[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Super Hi-Res

saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) (06/12/91)

Just out of curiousity ... Has anyone out there seen the new Super
Hi-Res mode on a monitor that actually supports the 1200+ pixels
across?  I have a 1950, and Super Hires on it displays every other
pixel.

The reason I am wondering is that there don't seem to be all 4096
colors in Super-Hi-Res mode on my 1950 ... If you try to change
the color of, say, your background in the workbench using the
pallete editor, there doesn't seem to be 4096 colors available
for the background, more like 1000 or so ...

So, is this just my ignorance and my monitor ;v) Or Does Super Hi-Res
have some color restrictions?

* saunders@triton.unm.edu * "This is _NOT_ Mel Torme!" - Top Secret

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.223859.15615@ariel.unm.edu> saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) writes:
>Just out of curiousity ... Has anyone out there seen the new Super
>Hi-Res mode on a monitor that actually supports the 1200+ pixels
>across?  I have a 1950, and Super Hires on it displays every other
>pixel.
>
>The reason I am wondering is that there don't seem to be all 4096
>colors in Super-Hi-Res mode on my 1950 ... If you try to change
>the color of, say, your background in the workbench using the
>pallete editor, there doesn't seem to be 4096 colors available
>for the background, more like 1000 or so ...
[...]

The 1950 displays the Super Hi-Res mode just fine.  You have to turn off
the display enhancer, otherwise you get the "every other pixel" effect.
Also, since Super Hi-Res uses 35ns pixels, only the restricted 64-color
pallette is available.  I would love to have a 1000+ pallette in Super Hi-
Res, but the 64-color pallete isn't really as restrictive as I thought.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions are those of the user, and not of this machine.

In article <1991Jun11.223859.15615@ariel.unm.edu> saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) writes:
>Just out of curiousity ... Has anyone out there seen the new Super
>Hi-Res mode on a monitor that actually supports the 1200+ pixels
>across?  I have a 1950, and Super Hires on it displays every other
>pixel.

When you only get every other pixel, then you probably have the
display enhancer enabled. Check that switch on the back and set it
to Disable.

>The reason I am wondering is that there don't seem to be all 4096
>colors in Super-Hi-Res mode on my 1950 .

Yes, this is normal. In SuperHires you only have 4 colors out of a
palette of 64, I think.

>So, is this just my ignorance and my monitor ;v) Or Does Super Hi-Res
>have some color restrictions?

It's the latter.

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.223859.15615@ariel.unm.edu>, saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) writes:
>Just out of curiousity ... Has anyone out there seen the new Super
>Hi-Res mode on a monitor that actually supports the 1200+ pixels
>across?  I have a 1950, and Super Hires on it displays every other
>pixel.

   You must have the Display Enhancer turned on.  In Super HiRes mode,
the Display Enhancer only samples every other pixel, producing the results
that you described.  Turn the Display Enhancer off, and you will see
everything.

>The reason I am wondering is that there don't seem to be all 4096
>colors in Super-Hi-Res mode on my 1950 ... If you try to change
>the color of, say, your background in the workbench using the
>pallete editor, there doesn't seem to be 4096 colors available
>for the background, more like 1000 or so ...
>
>So, is this just my ignorance and my monitor ;v) Or Does Super Hi-Res
>have some color restrictions?

   The Super HiRes mode has a lot more than "some" color restrictions!!
In the Super HiRes and Productivity modes, the palette has been severely
crunched from 4096 colors to 64.  You are also unable to display more
than 4 colors at once, out of this 64-color palette.

>* saunders@triton.unm.edu * "This is _NOT_ Mel Torme!" - Top Secret

 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\        The great thing about standards is that          /
 \       there are so many of them to choose from.       /

raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.223859.15615@ariel.unm.edu> saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) writes:
>Just out of curiousity ... Has anyone out there seen the new Super
>Hi-Res mode on a monitor that actually supports the 1200+ pixels
>across?  I have a 1950, and Super Hires on it displays every other
>pixel.
>
>The reason I am wondering is that there don't seem to be all 4096
>colors in Super-Hi-Res mode on my 1950 ... If you try to change
>the color of, say, your background in the workbench using the
>pallete editor, there doesn't seem to be 4096 colors available
>for the background, more like 1000 or so ...
>
>So, is this just my ignorance and my monitor ;v) Or Does Super Hi-Res
>have some color restrictions?
>
>* saunders@triton.unm.edu * "This is _NOT_ Mel Torme!" - Top Secret

Super-Hires and Productivity modes both utilize the SHRES 35nS pixel
capabilities of ECS Denise. Both modes are limited to 4 colors selected
from a reduced 64 color palette.

s8922967@ipc09.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Murray John GILBERT) (06/13/91)

In article <1345@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>Yes, this is normal. In SuperHires you only have 4 colors out of a
>palette of 64, I think.
>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

So why are we restricted to only 64 colour palette in SuperHires (and Productivity
I assume). I Guess to do with the bandwidth restriction that reduces the maximum
number of bitplanes from 4 to 2, but why does this affect the depth of the colour
palette (4bits to 2 bits per primary colour (R/G/B).

thanks,
	Murray

Murray Gilbert    s8922967@ipc01.mqcs.mq.oz.au

andrewsr@u2.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (06/14/91)

In article <1345@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

> In article <1991Jun11.223859.15615@ariel.unm.edu> saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) writes:
> >across?  I have a 1950, and Super Hires on it displays every other
> >pixel.
>
> When you only get every other pixel, then you probably have the
> display enhancer enabled. Check that switch on the back and set it
> to Disable.

You know, the more that I read this group, the more I realize I
*don't* understand this display enhancer.

Why am I confused? Well, I have the switch enabled and I am using
Seiko 1450.  I run SuperHires Interlaced with NO flicker and it looks
wonderful.  What is the deal?  Is it true that SuperHires *should* be
flickered?  Should I not be able to even see this 15Mhz graphics mode
on my 31Mhz monitor?

-Rich
--
  // Rich    | "If I spent as much time on my classes as I do reading
\X/  Andrews |  news, I'd graduate."  - Brett McCoy

In article <Jun.13.19.43.10.1991.2926@u2.rutgers.edu> andrewsr@u2.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) writes:
>In article <1345@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>
>> In article <1991Jun11.223859.15615@ariel.unm.edu> saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) writes:
>> >across?  I have a 1950, and Super Hires on it displays every other
>> >pixel.
>>
>> When you only get every other pixel, then you probably have the
>> display enhancer enabled. Check that switch on the back and set it
>> to Disable.
>
>You know, the more that I read this group, the more I realize I
>*don't* understand this display enhancer.
>
>Why am I confused?

Because you obviously don't read the manual! It says crystal clear,
that this display enhancer can't work in this mode. Reason: the high
pixel rate and lack of memory for so many pixel values. If you wanted
it to do this also, then you would have to pay real $$$ more, because
memory and other circuitry at double speed increases its price over-
proportionally (sp?). You sure DON'T WANT to spend that price, if you
are a standard Amiga user. Consider: This flicker fixer comes with
every A3000 and has to be paid by every owner, even if he doesn't have
a 30 MHz monitor.

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (06/15/91)

In article <Jun.13.19.43.10.1991.2926@u2.rutgers.edu>, andrewsr@u2.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) writes:
>In article <1345@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>
>> In article <1991Jun11.223859.15615@ariel.unm.edu> saunders@triton.unm.edu (Richard Saunders CIRT) writes:
>> >across?  I have a 1950, and Super Hires on it displays every other
>> >pixel.
>>
>> When you only get every other pixel, then you probably have the
>> display enhancer enabled. Check that switch on the back and set it
>> to Disable.
>>

>You know, the more that I read this group, the more I realize I
>*don't* understand this display enhancer.
>
>Why am I confused? Well, I have the switch enabled and I am using
>Seiko 1450.  I run SuperHires Interlaced with NO flicker and it looks
>wonderful.  What is the deal?  Is it true that SuperHires *should* be
>flickered?  Should I not be able to even see this 15Mhz graphics mode
>on my 31Mhz monitor?

   Unfortunately, for Super-HiRes to look right, it *MUST* flicker.  You
don't get your cake and eat it to, so-to-speak.  The Display Enhancer
messes up the Super-HiRes mode when it removes the flicker.  It only looks
right when it flickers. (BTW, this is on systems with Display Enhancers,
such as the A3000)

oovvoo@mixcom.COM (Mike Shawaluk) (06/15/91)

In <1991Jun14.182918.29452@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   Unfortunately, for Super-HiRes to look right, it *MUST* flicker.  You
>don't get your cake and eat it to, so-to-speak.  The Display Enhancer
>messes up the Super-HiRes mode when it removes the flicker.  It only looks
>right when it flickers. (BTW, this is on systems with Display Enhancers,
>such as the A3000)

I just installed my A2320 card, and am using it with a Mitsubishi Diamond
Scan, but I don't have the ECS yet in my A2000.  However, from what I read in
the manual, I think Marc is on the wrong track; displaying SuperHiRes has
nothing to do with flickering!  What my manual tells me is that (not in so
many words) because the A2320 (and presumably the equivalent circuitry in the
A3000) has to buffer up a screen's worth of pixels, for either scan doubling
or deinterlacing, that it doesn't have enough on-board RAM for the 1280 pixel
lines (or maybe more correctly, that it can't sample that many pixels per
line, which would explain why it skips every other pixel).  Now, depending on
what monitor a person has, they may not see much difference at that resolution
(1280 is a *lot* of pixels per line).  The words in the A2320 manual are:

"Still another Amiga display mode which uses the ECS under AmigaDos 2.0 is
'Superhires' mode.  This mode has a display of either 1280 x 200/256 or 1280 x
400/512, with 4 colors out of a palette of 64, and a raster rate of 15.734 KHz
NTSC (15.625 KHz PAL).  In this display mode the A2320 only samples every
other pixel and may cause a distorted display, so you should set the mode
switch on the back of the A2320 metal bracket to the Bypass mode (flip the
toggle switch to the right, away from the fan)."

Note that this has nothing to do with interlace; the same instructions apply
to the interlaced AND non-interlaced versions of Super-HiRes.

  - Mike--
  - Mike Shawaluk (oovvoo@mixcom.com)       "It is a good day to live."