[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP Series II + RAM and A2630 memory

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun16.023027.8382@actrix.gen.nz>,
keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) writes:

> Using my GVP Info programme I see that I have 2 meg at
> 200000 - 3FFFFF and 4 meg at 600000-9ffffff.

Since 4-meg PICs may also be placed at 4-meg boundaries,
this is certainly a deficiency of the expansion.library's
AllocBoardMem() implementation under 1.3.

> I suppose the A2360 2 meg is at 200000 and the GVP mem is
> at 600000

Yes. GVPInfo's "boards" option should tell you.

> If I put an extra 2 meg on the A2360 then will my 32bit
> mem go from 200000 to 5FFFFF and then my GVP mem will
> still go from 600000 - 9fffff

Yes.

> Will I be able to merge this mem

Yes, using MergeMem.

> or will it be automatically merged through the magic of
> autoconfig.

Prior to 2.0: no.

> If i leave just 2 meg on the A2360 can I make it config
> behind the GVP mem

No, unless you want to patch expansion.library.

> What is the optimum mix of GVP mem ( it goes up in two meg
> lots and can have 6 meg on the board) and A2360 mem for:
                    ^^^^^
Without the 2630, it's really 8 megs, of course.

> (1) Contiguous memory
>
> (2) speedy memory

Probably 4 megs each plus MergeMem, unless an application
allocates memory from the end of the free-memory pool.

> It looks like the A2360 will be purchased as the GVP
> distributors seem unable

Hm, something's missing here. :-)

Ralph

keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) (06/16/91)

here again :-)

Thanks to all the people who replied to my post regarding the compatability
bewteen a GVP Series II + RAM card and the A2360.
Well I took the advice and borrowed an A2360 before I laid out the
bucks and purchased. every things seems OK at present but I have some questions
about the memory behaviour.

I use TAD and soon ADPro a lot and hence I need a lot of contiguous memory.

I have the GVP cardin the second slot and of course the 2360 in the co-pr
slot

I have 4 meg of RAM on the GVP card and the borrowed A2360 has 2 meg of
32-bit mem

Using my GVP Info programme I see that I have 2 meg at 200000 - 3FFFFF
and 4 meg at 600000-9ffffff. Of course the chip RAM is at 8c2 to Fe7ff

Using mergemem I get of course memory can't be merged.

I suppose the A2360 2 meg is at 200000 and the GVP mem is at 600000

Question 1 (bearing in mind my need for contiguous mem.

If I put an extra 2 meg on the A2360 then will my 32bit mem go from
200000 to 5FFFFF and then my GVP mem will still go from 600000 - 9fffff

Will I be able to merge this mem or will it be automatically merged through
the magic of autoconfig.

Question 2

If i leave just 2 meg on the A2360 can I make it config behind the GVP mem

Question three

What is the optimum mix of GVP mem ( it goes up in two meg lots and can
have 6 meg on the board) and A2360 mem for:

(1) Contiguous memory

(2) speedy memory

PS Using TAD at the moment it seem to grab the GVP 4 meg when run but
does not touch any of the A2360

Thanks for any help and thanks to those who have already helped. It looks
like the A2360 will be purchased as the GVP distributors seem unable