[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Another A590 problem

heinola@hkkk.fi (Bror Heinola) (06/13/91)

	All right folks... Here I go again... :(

	I'm losing my nerves with my A590.

	Problem is, when I boot up and try to click window, icon
	or something, the system just hangs. But when disk is
	inserted, system 'wakes'. ARGH!

	When system is hung up, all interrupts etc. work,
	one can type something and it gets onto screen after
	disk is inserted.

	The A590 has 1MB FAST ram and rev V4.6 ROMs.

	HELP!
--
# Bror Heinola # Programmer # Sibelius-Academy # <heinola@siba.fi> #

phil@phd.UUCP (H Phil Duby) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.203422.19861@hkkk.fi> heinola@hkkk.fi (Bror Heinola) writes:
>       All right folks... Here I go again... :(
>
>       I'm losing my nerves with my A590.
>
>       Problem is, when I boot up and try to click window, icon
>       or something, the system just hangs. But when disk is
>       inserted, system 'wakes'. ARGH!
>
>       When system is hung up, all interrupts etc. work,
>       one can type something and it gets onto screen after
>       disk is inserted.
>
>       The A590 has 1MB FAST ram and rev V4.6 ROMs.

More information about your system configuration MIGHT be useful (might not
too :-).  I had someone here with similar symptoms.  The problem turned out
to be some sort of incompatiblilty between WorkBench and a program called
ClockDJ.  It has an option to allow a window to be brought to the front by
clicking on it (anywhere, not just the front/back gadget).  The number of
clicks required is selectable.  If it is set to 1 click, system locks up
when a drawer icon is clicked (single click).  Seems the system gets
confused about activating the window; bringing it to front; displaying
alternate image of icon, all at once.  Did not research exact cause, or
what else caused lockup, or even the extent of the lockup (did not try disk
insert) just changed ClockDJ setting to 3 clicks for click to front.
Everything works now.

>       HELP!
> --
> # Bror Heinola # Programmer # Sibelius-Academy # <heinola@siba.fi> #
H. Phil Duby                     uunet!keyword!calgary!ajfcal!mtroyal!phd!phil
(AMiga Users of Calgary)         AMUCexpress BBS - 650 meg PD Software
Fido net node 1:134/27     (403) 282-5137/5171/5224/5238 3/12/24/24 MNP bps

heinola@hkkk.fi (Bror Heinola) (06/16/91)

In <phil.7954@phd.UUCP> phil@phd.UUCP (H Phil Duby) writes:

>More information about your system configuration MIGHT be useful (might not
>too :-).  I had someone here with similar symptoms.  The problem turned out

	It has been tried in four different machines, two of them
	were older (no empty RAM-sockets on the motherboard) and
	two of them new ones. The HD was prepped four times too,
	nothing else was installed than stndard 1.3.2 WB.
	Problem appears randomly, and also when system has two hard
	disks & controllers!