[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] X-SPECS software

chrisl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Christian Ludwig - CATS) (06/14/91)

In article <Y.C-95.@engin.umich.edu> chymes@uri.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) writes:

stuff deleted..

>The Devo Kit is $50 and is back orderd, it allows you to control the
>specs and do memory management, but the mathematical software for the
>generation of steroscopic images is not available (but will be... sure).
>They also send some goodies like a tech report from a sigraph, and
>references to other articles.

A package called "xspecs.library" is available on Compu*erve's
AMIGATECH interest group.  This may or may not be what is shipped
in the "Devo (sounds like techno-punk-music to me) Kit", but it
should get you started.  It includes a runtime Amiga library that
lets you draw lines and sprites in a virtual 3d space, no fuss, no
muss.  I was quiet surprised at how little code it took to get
something running.

BTW, if you're coding in C, there is a seperate file that contains
the C glue files and a bit of sample code.

>Charles Hymes

Charles - If you asking for emailed responses, could you please post
the results, There seems to be as much interest in X-Specs now
as there was when they where introduced.  (I guess they where really
a "product before its time."

     ///
    /// The opinions expressed may not reflect the official position of my employer.
\\\///  (Of course that depends on which position they're in!)
 \XX/

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) (06/15/91)

In article <22446@cbmvax.commodore.com> chrisl@cbmvax.commodore.com (Christian Ludwig - CATS) writes:
>In article <Y.C-95.@engin.umich.edu> chymes@uri.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) writes:
>
>stuff deleted..
>
>>The Devo Kit is $50 and is back orderd, it allows you to control the
>>specs and do memory management, but the mathematical software for the
>>generation of steroscopic images is not available (but will be... sure).
>>They also send some goodies like a tech report from a sigraph, and
>>references to other articles.
>
>A package called "xspecs.library" is available on Compu*erve's
>AMIGATECH interest group.  This may or may not be what is shipped
>in the "Devo (sounds like techno-punk-music to me) Kit", but it
>should get you started.  It includes a runtime Amiga library that
>lets you draw lines and sprites in a virtual 3d space, no fuss, no
>muss.  I was quiet surprised at how little code it took to get
>something running.

NOTE:  This is *not* the same as the developer's kit from Haitex.  It
is a lot easier to learn and program without any hassle.  I bought the
kit from Haitex and found it of marginal utility.  It needs strange and
complex data structures for memory management, and it does not come with
a single line of source code.  I returned it in favour of the PD library
from Compuserve.  It is *so* much easier to program, and includes a lot
of functions which can be used directly.

>BTW, if you're coding in C, there is a seperate file that contains
>the C glue files and a bit of sample code.
>
>>Charles Hymes
>
>Charles - If you asking for emailed responses, could you please post
>the results, There seems to be as much interest in X-Specs now
>as there was when they where introduced.  (I guess they where really
>a "product before its time."

I would be interested in hearing about other X-Specs programmers also.
I have a 3D version of Dazzle - a graphic display program from an
early Fish disk using the PD library from CompuServe.

>     ///
>    /// The opinions expressed may not reflect the official position of my employer.
>\\\///  (Of course that depends on which position they're in!)
> \XX/

Veenu

vrr@cbnewsj.att.com

billc@cryo.rain.com (William J. Coldwell) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun14.223328.26436@cbnewsj.att.com> vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) writes:

>>Charles - If you asking for emailed responses, could you please post
>>the results, There seems to be as much interest in X-Specs now
>>as there was when they where introduced.  (I guess they where really
>>a "product before its time."

Every chance I get, I do a few Xspec renderings.  3 years of abuse, and
they're still working ;-).

>I would be interested in hearing about other X-Specs programmers also.
>I have a 3D version of Dazzle - a graphic display program from an
>early Fish disk using the PD library from CompuServe.

3-D Pro has and will continue to support XSpecs rendering outputs.  We
even had an OPCODE-6 that we were going to present to Commodore for
standardization, but never got around to it.  So it's internal to 3dpro
and Anim. Station (a quad-buffered OPCODE-5 basically).  We have all of
the tools to convert an OPCODE-6 to 2 OPCODE-5 anims and back (so you
can edit, etc..).

--
  William J. Coldwell       Amiga Attitude Adjuster      Cryogenic Software
  3-D Pro | Anim. Station | CA-650 CD-ROM | CMI PA/MPB | Interact AppleTalk

rayz@altair.csustan.edu (R. L. Zarling) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun14.223328.26436@cbnewsj.att.com> vrr@cbnewsj.att.com (veenu.r.rashid) writes:
>. . .  I bought the
>kit from Haitex and found it of marginal utility.  It needs strange and
>complex data structures for memory management, and it does not come with
>a single line of source code.  I returned it in favour of the PD library
>from Compuserve.  It is *so* much easier to program, and includes a lot
>of functions which can be used directly.

Could someone post the PD library on an ftp site, like hubcap or ab20?
I'd be interested in looking through it, but don't have access to
Compuserve.

--Ray Zarling
  Calif. State Univ. Stanislaus
  Turlock, CA 95380