[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Request for summary of A2024 capabilities

waggoner@ichips.intel.com (Mark Waggoner) (06/02/91)

Could someone summarize the capabilities, advantages, disadvantages, etc.
of the A2024 monitor.  Some specific questions:
  - Resolutions supported
  - Scan Frequency.  Is it interlaced?
  - Chip memory bandwidth consumed by display.
  - Connect to the normal RGB video output or to de-interlacer output?
  - How would you compare it to the A1950 (or other multisync) on
    a deinterlacer?
  - Anything else I should know?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

--
Mark Waggoner           waggoner@ichips.intel.com         (503) 696-4590
                       No, I don't speak for intel.

mueller@pooh.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun2.012545.26853@ichips.intel.com> is written:
>Could someone summarize the capabilities, advantages, disadvantages, etc.
>of the A2024 monitor.  Some specific questions:
>  - Resolutions supported
>  - Scan Frequency.  Is it interlaced?
>  - Chip memory bandwidth consumed by display.
>  - Connect to the normal RGB video output or to de-interlacer output?
>  - How would you compare it to the A1950 (or other multisync) on
>    a deinterlacer?
>  - Anything else I should know?

My understanding of this monitor is:

It is a monochrome/grayscale 15" monitor with special hardware
buffering that allows it to display a non-interlaced 1008x800
4-grayscale image.  This image is created by using several
"normal" screens and thus the image refresh rate is 15 hz (as
opposed to 60 hz).  This mode is supported by the Amiga OS.  I
don't remember which video mode is uses to paint the screen,
but perhaps you can make some good guesses by doing a little
math.  It looks like it needs 1008x800x2/8 (~200K) bytes of chip
memory.

In addition, I think I read that it can also display all the
regular (15khz) video modes.  I do not know if it can display
the ECS modes at 31khz.

It connects only to the regular video port and thus will work
with any Amiga.  It is similar to the Viking Moniterm monitor,
but that one has several differences: it's 19" and requires a
board which plugs into the Amiga's video slot; whether or not
it can display the regular video modes is a mystery to me.

There is also a PAL version of the 2024 that has a resolution
of 1008x1024 and a different refresh rate.

That's about all I know on the subject.  Except that the retail
price is something like $799 and the educational price is $449.

-Carl (mueller@cs.unc.edu)

wolff@pbinfo.uni-paderborn.de (Marcus Horstmann) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun2.012545.26853@ichips.intel.com>, waggoner@ichips.intel.com (Mark Waggoner) writes:

|> Could someone summarize the capabilities, advantages, disadvantages, etc.
|> of the A2024 monitor.  Some specific questions:
|>   - Resolutions supported

PAL 1008x1024
NTSC 1008x800(?)

|>   - Scan Frequency.  Is it interlaced?

All displays non-interlaced (even Superhires-interlace, but you cannot use it,
because only every 2nd row is displayed.
it has got PAL 50Hz NTSC 60Hz (not enough for a DTP-monitor I think, but the
display is quite good (much better as a 50Hz Monitor-Picture)

|>   - Chip memory bandwidth consumed by display.

I think its is approximatly 400KB(?), with 1MB Chip you have quite enough Mem,
but with only 512KB it works, but only the WB-Screen.

|>   - Connect to the normal RGB video output or to de-interlacer output?

Connect to the normal RGB-Port, uses the digital-Outputs.

|>   - How would you compare it to the A1950 (or other multisync) on
|>     a deinterlacer?

Depending, on what you want to do with it. It has a good aspect ratio (nearly1:1)
and a really High resolution (interlaced-Hires looks like lores!)
and for TeX it is great (you can see the whole A4-Page on the Screen at once, AND
you could read it!).
An MultiSync does a real nice job. And if you are a colour fanatic, it is much
better, because the A2024 uses only 4 Colours at a time. And I think you recognize
a deinterlaced interlaced-Hires as the like.

|>   - Anything else I should know?

It is only really funktional if you use the WB2.0, because than the OS supports it
really good. But the hacks which Commo has done under 1.3 are not the good thing.

I like it, but I have co-installed a TV-Set, so I can see the Screen in Colour if
I cannot figure something out, or for playing. I think, it is a good 2nd-Monitor.
You should have an other monitor as well.

|> Thanks for any help you can provide.
|>
|> --
|> Mark Waggoner           waggoner@ichips.intel.com         (503) 696-4590
|>                        No, I don't speak for intel.

Ok, hope that will help

  Marcus

==                         mail :  Marcus Horstmann                  ==
==       //  Amiga                 Liboriberg 22                     ==
==      //     is                  W-4790 Paderborn                  ==
==  \\ //     FUN!                 Germany                           ==
==   \X/   (Isn't it?)     Tel. :  ++49-5251-27406                   ==
==                         email:  wolff@uni-paderborn.de            ==

malcolm@pandanus.ntu.edu.au (Malcolm Caldwell) (06/17/91)

>You should have an other monitor as well.

How well does it work when two are used at once?  When a big screen is used
what do you see on the other monitor.

Can you use a 1950 and a 2024 at the same time on a A3000?

I am begining to need a big screen, but I am begining to think that a SUN SLC
would be a good bet.

If the amiga works fairly easily with the two monitors (ie without swapping
cables) it would be a bit on an incentive

--
Malcolm Caldwell                malcolm@pandanus.ntu.edu.au
Technical Officer