[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Incompatibility A2630 - Kick2.0

hkr@mcshh.hanse.de (Holger Kruse) (06/14/91)

The German computer magazine "Amiga Special Extra" reports in its
2/91 edition, that there is an incompatibility between Kickstart 2.0
and the A2630.
The reason is that both Kickstart 2.0 and the A2630 Rom-Bios start
at the same physical address $f80000.

My questions:

- Is this true ?

- What is Commodore going to do about it ?
  Will there be a fix or update ?

The computer magazine also reports about a company in Oldenburg, Germany
who sell a new A2630 bios version that is located at address $f70000 and
also contains an improved boot menu.

- Is this the official workaround for the problem ?

Thank you,

Holger Kruse

-------------------------------------+----------------------------------
Holger Kruse                         ! German BTX:     040526128800-0001
Zwijndrechtring 50, 2000 Norderstedt ! INTERNET:      hkr@mcshh.hanse.de
Germany        Phone: +49 40 5261288 ! UUCP: uunet!mcsun!unido!mcshh!hkr

In article <9286@mcshh.hanse.de> hkr@mcshh.hanse.de (Holger Kruse) writes:

>The German computer magazine "Amiga Special Extra" reports in its
>2/91 edition, that there is an incompatibility between Kickstart 2.0
>and the A2630.
>The reason is that both Kickstart 2.0 and the A2630 Rom-Bios start
>at the same physical address $f80000.

>- Is this true ?

It depends.  The A26x0 ROMs start at $00f80000.  Both A26x0 boards allow
this ROM to vanish completely before booting AmigaOS.  Whether or not the
ROM is still mapped in is completely up to the A26x0 software.

There are certainly some ROM versions that don't get rid of ROM.  I believe
they're planning a general A26x0 update at some point anyway, since the
modern way of booting UNIX and the early A26x0 method don't quite match up.
Certainly that would be fixed in that new ROM if it hasn't already.

I'm not involved in the ROM releases, only the hardware.  So, bottom line, the
only possible fix necessary is a ROM update.  I have been using 2.0 on the
A2630 for a long time, though loaded via SetCPU rather than ROM.

>The computer magazine also reports about a company in Oldenburg, Germany
>who sell a new A2630 bios version that is located at address $f70000 and
>also contains an improved boot menu.

To locate A2630 ROM anywhere else would require a new PAL as well.  Not only
that, it's nearly guaranteed to be incompatible with UNIX and any other new
A26x0 ROM updates from C=.
	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.