[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Jumpers on B2000 REV 4.2

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (06/10/91)

        As a spinoff on the recent discussion about the jumper setting of
J300 for video purposes, I was wondering if anyone (possibly Dave) could
assemble and post (or mail me) a list of what all the jumpers in the B2000
are.  I have REV 4.2 so I am obviously interested in that but no numbers
should have changed throughout the B2000 line I don't think.

        Also, I recently downloaded a program called 'Calibrate' which
allows you to calibrate your battery backed up clock.  It prints out the
error between the battery clock and the normal system clock (run by the
TICK line I would assume).  It mentions an adjustment pot on the clock that
you may turn to adjust it's speed.  Where is the clock circuit?  I'd like
to know for two reasons - this adjustment and for when I may need to
replace the battery.  I saw a yellow coloured trim pot at the very front of
the case in line with the Co-Processor slot, is this is?

        Also, again, Which chip is Kickstart.  I'm still running 1.2 while
waiting for 2.04 (or whatever) to be burned and I haven't had to touch it.
It is not labelled on my motherboard.  I think that it might be the
socketed chip at the mid-rear of the motherboard.  Am I correct?

        Thanks in advance for answers to these questions...

--
 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000 UUCPv1.13D.
 clemon@lemsys.UUCP lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca | Please Mail any binaries

In article <clemon.4060@lemsys.UUCP> clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) writes:

>        As a spinoff on the recent discussion about the jumper setting of
>J300 for video purposes, I was wondering if anyone (possibly Dave) could
>assemble and post (or mail me) a list of what all the jumpers in the B2000
>are.  I have REV 4.2 so I am obviously interested in that but no numbers
>should have changed throughout the B2000 line I don't think.

	J101	Select A19/A23 for second Agnus RAM bank select
	J102	Enable NTSC mode on ECS Agnus, disable test on 512K Agnus
	J200	Select port 0/port 1 lightpen
	J300	Selects LINE/VSYNC TICK source
	J301	Enables 3.5" 880K ID code for DF1:
	J500	Enable for decoding of $00Cxxxxx as RAM
	J900	Enable Chip RAM slowdown during DMA

I think that's all.

>Where is the clock circuit?  I'd like to know for two reasons - this
>adjustment and for when I may need to replace the battery.  I saw a yellow
>coloured trim pot at the very front of the case in line with the
>Co-Processor slot, is this is?

That's it.  It's actually a trim cap.  The battery is the funny looking blue
thing to the right of it. It's a nicad, supposedly good for 10 years or
thereabouts.

>        Also, again, Which chip is Kickstart.  I'm still running 1.2 while
>waiting for 2.04 (or whatever) to be burned and I haven't had to touch it.
>It is not labelled on my motherboard.  I think that it might be the
>socketed chip at the mid-rear of the motherboard.

No, I think you're looking at Gary.  The ROM is on the right of the 68000.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.

leekil@athena.mit.edu (Lee 'S' Kilpatrick) (06/16/91)

In article <22383@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

[Description of 2000 jumpers & other internal things.]

Is the connector in the back near the serial port indeed an internal
connection for the serial port, as some guy suggested who fried his Amiga
poking around with these pins?

			Lee

In article <1991Jun15.230048.19216@athena.mit.edu> leekil@athena.mit.edu (Lee 'S' Kilpatrick) writes:
>In article <22383@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>Is the connector in the back near the serial port indeed an internal
>connection for the serial port, as some guy suggested who fried his Amiga
>poking around with these pins?

Yup, that's an internal serial port header.  The main point of this was to
make it possible to support an add-on A1000-style serial port, should it be
necessary for any peculiar products on the market.  For those who don't recall
the A1000 serial port, in addition to being the opposite sex as the A500, A2000,
and most other computers (since the IBM PClones set the "standard" for what a
RS-232 sex a personal computer should be, not totally obvious since the computer
acts as both DTE and DCE, especially going way back, when you hooked a terminal
up to your personal computer to get it to work), had extra lines available,
including a clock and an interrupt input.  We figured, if there was anything
out there that couldn't get by with a simple gender-bender, a real A1000
compatible D25 could be put in one of the A2000 knockout panels and hooked up
here.  Other than the occasional BridgeCard user who hooks the BridgeCard
beeper output up to the audio input in this connector, I don't know of anyone
ever having actually used it.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.