[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Help wanted with new 1950 monitor

erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) (06/15/91)

I just bought a PowerUp A3000-16/50 and went for the 1950 monitor as well.
It has been nothing but a headache!  When it first arrived, there were
discolorations in two corners of the screen, as if it needed de-gausing.  After
only a few days of use, the color distortion covered the lower 90% of the
visible screen; the band which was the upper 10% was perfect.  This phemonenon
only occurred with the display enhancer enabled.  When the display enhancer
was turned off, the colors were all normal.  I called CommodoreExpress and
FedEx did pick it up, and the repair center in Memphis sent me a new monitor.
At least this one had the power cord packed in the box!  This monitor exhibits
the same style of color distortion, although not to the same degree.

For example, on a light blue-grey (periwinkle) Workbench with black and white
and purple, the middle half from edge to edge is a darker blue than the tops,
with the white scroll bars showing up a dingy yellow.

I do not believe that the 3000 is a fault, since an IBM 8513 PS/2 color
monitor works perfectly, and is, in fact, what I am using until I get
this problem fixed.

My question is this... Does anyone recognize these symptoms?  Is it a
pathological problem with the 1950?  The dates of manufacture for the
monitors were July, 1990 and November, 1990; was an ECO made to more
recent models that I might take advantage of?  I intend to call Commodore
Express on Monday and have them take this one away as well; is there
someone at Memphis that I can ask for (besides the operators)?

Thanks,
-ethan

toddal@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd Michael Allendorf) (06/16/91)

erd@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) writes:

>I just bought a PowerUp A3000-16/50 and went for the 1950 monitor as well.
>It has been nothing but a headache!  When it first arrived, there were
>discolorations in two corners of the screen, as if it needed de-gausing.  After
>only a few days of use, the color distortion covered the lower 90% of the
>visible screen; the band which was the upper 10% was perfect.  This phemonenon
>only occurred with the display enhancer enabled.  When the display enhancer
>was turned off, the colors were all normal.  I called CommodoreExpress and
>FedEx did pick it up, and the repair center in Memphis sent me a new monitor.
>At least this one had the power cord packed in the box!  This monitor exhibits
>the same style of color distortion, although not to the same degree.

>For example, on a light blue-grey (periwinkle) Workbench with black and white
>and purple, the middle half from edge to edge is a darker blue than the tops,
>with the white scroll bars showing up a dingy yellow.

>I do not believe that the 3000 is a fault, since an IBM 8513 PS/2 color
>monitor works perfectly, and is, in fact, what I am using until I get
>this problem fixed.

I thought I was going crazy.  I just got a multisync( NEC 3d) for my 3000 and it
does almost the same thing.  My problem is the blue values are all transposed.
For instance the workbench grey comes out greenish.  Right now I'm using VLT
with pure black background and it looks like the IBM default blue background.
To get close to black (the screen won't display a pure black) I have to set blue
to $08.  Just as you described, this problem only occurs when the display
enhancer is enabled but also on my machine only on an interlaced screen.  Scan-
doubled screens look fine.
I do think it is the display enhancer since it has done this on two brand new
monitors.  I bought a Mitsubishi Diamondscan and it did the blue shift.
I hooked it up to an IBM 8513 PS/2 color monitor and (just like Ethan's)
appeared to look okay (at least on the workbench).  I sent back the monitor, but
the guys at Briwall could find nothing wrong so they refused to send me a new
monitor.  I then bought a NEC 3d instead and when I got it, it did almost the
same thing accept it wasn't as pronounced (but definitely the same problem).

So, would somebody at Commodore like to recommend a possible cause and maybe
what would fix it (so I can tell my dealer when I take it in, I don't have
the greatest amount of confidence in his abilities)?  It would be nice if Scott
Hood or Dave Haynie could answer this.

BTW, what is the number for CommodoreExpress?

Thanks in advance.
						-Todd Allendorf
						toddal@cobalt.cco.caltech.edu

toddal@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd Michael Allendorf) (06/17/91)

Before a hundred people respond "Have you tried adjusting the fine tuning
pot in the back of the 3000," the answer is yes.  The adjustment only fixes
jittering not the color of the screen.  I've turned the pot its full range and
the colors are still messed up.
To repeat, my picture is rock-steady (and looks nice) but the color are all
wrong.
Also, the problem isn't magnetic interference from speakers since I don't own a
stereo and there are no speakers near my amiga at present.

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun16.200955.24088@nntp-server.caltech.edu> toddal@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Todd Michael Allendorf) writes:
>Also, the problem isn't magnetic interference from speakers since I don't own a
>stereo and there are no speakers near my amiga at present.
>
>                                               -Todd Allendorf
>                                               toddal@cobalt.cco.caltech.edu

        What happens when you pick the monitor up off of the case?  What
happens when you place the monitor away from the computer?  It could be
magnetic interference from the motherboard somewhere that the PS/2 monitor
is not as sensitive to.

--
 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000 UUCPv1.13D.
 clemon@lemsys.UUCP lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca | Please Mail any binaries