[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] What RAM for A3000?

mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu (06/14/91)

	In anticipation of receipt of my new A3000, I was wondering if someone
could answer some simple questions:

1) What RAM chips are recommended for the A3000?

2) In what increments must I add the RAM?

3) Where's the best place to get a good deal on these chips?

Thanks in advance for replies!

R. Luebbert

n298ad@tamuts.tamu.edu (John Jordan) (06/15/91)

In article <460.2857c586@beach.gal.utexas.edu> mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu writes:
>	In anticipation of receipt of my new A3000, I was wondering if someone
>could answer some simple questions:
>1) What RAM chips are recommended for the A3000?
>2) In what increments must I add the RAM?
>3) Where's the best place to get a good deal on these chips?
>Thanks in advance for replies!
>R. Luebbert

On a related Note,
Does it in fact VOID your warranty to add ram to your 3000 yourself??
Just want to make sure.

Also,
Does anyone know of any incompatibilities b/t ICD's flicker free
and The Video Toaster?

Thanks,

John J.

doconnor@srg.UUCP (Dennis O'Connor x4982 room 6-230N) (06/17/91)

mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu writes:
]
]  In anticipation of receipt of my new A3000, I was wondering if someone
]  could answer some simple questions:
]   1) What RAM chips are recommended for the A3000?

The A3000 manual lists applicable chip numbers from several manufacturers.
Sorry, don't have it here.

]   2) In what increments must I add the RAM?

CHIP RAM is expandable in 1Megabyte increments, so you get 1Meg initially
and can add 1Meg more.

FAST RAM is more complicated. FAST RAM can either take 1Mbit chips ( 256Kx4 )
or 4Mbit chips ( 1Mx4 ), but not both at once on the motherboard. What does
this mean ?

If you buy a 3000-16/50 or 3000-25/50 you get 1Meg of FAST RAM. SO you could
expand it in 1 megabyte increments. Or you could take the 1 megabyte of FAST
RAM out and put it in CHIP RAM ( givinig you 2M of CHIP ) and expand your FAST
RAM in 4 megabyte increments using 4Mbit chips. Your maximum motherboard
memory using 1megabit chips is 6Meg, with 4Mbit chips it is 18Meg.

If you buy a A3000-25/100, you start with 5 megabytes of memory : 1 megabyte
CHIP and 4 megabytes FAST. I'm reliably informed that the supplied FAST RAM
is 4Mbit chips, so on an A3000-25/100, you can increase your CHIP RAM in
1 megabyte increments and increase your FAST RAM in 4 megabyte increments.
Your maximum motherboard memory is 18Meg.

]   3) Where's the best place to get a good deal on these chips?

My dealer will do a 4 megabyte upgrade for me for $400. Maybe this isn't
the best deal you could get, but I remember when RAM went through the
$1000/megabyte level, so $100/megabyte seems good to me.
Dennis O'Connor,      		uunet!srg!titania!doconnor
non-representative.

bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) (06/19/91)

n298ad@tamuts.tamu.edu (John Jordan) writes:

>In article <460.2857c586@beach.gal.utexas.edu> mrimages@beach.gal.utexas.edu writes:
>>	In anticipation of receipt of my new A3000, I was wondering if someone
>>could answer some simple questions:
>>1) What RAM chips are recommended for the A3000?
>>2) In what increments must I add the RAM?
>>3) Where's the best place to get a good deal on these chips?
>>Thanks in advance for replies!
>>R. Luebbert

YADI3RCD (Yet Another Dude Interested In 3000 Ram Chip Description :)

This query is wearing a groove but... I'm get 6MB worth of the kind
of RAM that allows one to achieve the greatest expansion (16MB right?)

My dealer calls this 1 MegaByte by 4 static ZIP (8 chips = 4Mbytes RAM)
(4MB plus the 2MB stock = 6MB)

Is this the correct name of the RAM I'm getting???  I'm already looking
for more and I haven't got me computer yet.  Looking through the various
advertisements for "cheap" RAM in IBM and Mac mags I don't find this
particular term used to describe any RAM chips... help.

-Beej

--
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
mail: bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu