[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Networking an Amiga 500 to a 3000

seguine@girtab.usc.edu (Christopher Seguine) (06/17/91)

 I picked up an A500 cheap and would like to netwrok it to my 3000...

 What is the best way to do this?

I heard of a program called DNET? Is this available for FTP anywhere?
How fast is it? What I would like to do is basically load files from
my 3000 hard drive through programs running on my 500....

Chris

davem@col.hp.com (Dave K. Martin) (06/18/91)

DNET uses a serial interface to network Amigas or Amiga to Unix systems.
I haven't used it but there is a close relative called PARNET which uses
a custom parallel cable (easily built).  Parnet is also somewhat easier to
install and will run on a 512k system.
I run PARNET between my A-2000 and A-1000 (1000 + 2000 = 3000 right? :-).
Once the PARNET network is established, then you can copy some icons to it
and have workbench access to the remote devices.  For instance, I can click
on the Network Icon on my 1000 and it opens to show drawers corresponding
to the partitions on the 2000's hard drive.  Open a drawer, click on an icon
and the program loads on the 1000.  Neat stuff!  Transfer speeds are about
the same or slightly faster than loading the same program from a floppy.
The only disadvantage is if you have a parallel printer and you load up
something (like ProWrite) that tries to take the printer without asking first
will result in an immediate guru.  However, you can temporarily redefine the
printer on the serial port or run PARNET after loading the offending
application.

There are two versions of PARNET around, you want to get the later version,
PARNET24.  I believe it is available for ftp from AB20 and other sources.

Just my pennys worth of input, hope it is informative....

davem

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (06/19/91)

In article <18730010@col.hp.com> davem@col.hp.com (Dave K. Martin) writes:
>DNET uses a serial interface to network Amigas or Amiga to Unix systems.
>I haven't used it but there is a close relative called PARNET which uses
>a custom parallel cable (easily built).  Parnet is also somewhat easier to
>install and will run on a 512k system.
 	[ Description of using Parnet deleted ]

If I were you, I would be careful when trying to run ParNet on the
A3000, I know of several people who fried their CIAs while trying to
run Parnet.  I dunno what is doing this, but if I wer you I would keep
a few CIAs handy when trying the thing or be 100% sure that yoru cable
is working..

Alejandro Liu           |EMail: aliu@usc.edu |All mispellings are intentional
3131 Mc Clintock #373F  |Voice: 213-745-2432 |Anything mentioned here is not
Los Angeles, CA 90007   |                    |necessarily true.

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (06/20/91)

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) writes:

>If I were you, I would be careful when trying to run ParNet on the
>A3000, I know of several people who fried their CIAs while trying to
>run Parnet.

Several people, meaning different A3000s and different cables, right?
I've connected two 3000s together for weeks at a time without incident.
I'd /really/ like to find out what fried your friends' 3000s.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu