[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] CDTV questions

kdarling@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (06/20/91)

A while back, mks@cbmvax.commodore.com (Michael Sinz) wrote:
[in a reply to my question about sound playing]
> Yes and no.  We can play direct CD audio.  We can also play Amiga style
> audio.  The Amiga style audio takes less disk space and thus you can have
> much more of it on the CD.  (24 hours or some such large numebr)  Since
> the way the hardware works, you can play continuous sounds from the CD in
> Amiga mode and still load data at the same time.  The data will load slower
> since you also are using some of the data bandwidth to load more sound.
> If you play a sound "Loop" then the data will load just as fast as with
> no sound.  Remember, CDTV still has all of the benefits of the Amiga,
> including the Paula chip, which has the DMA driven sound channels.

Thanks!  This reminds me of a couple of possibly related questions:

1) Does CDTV use only the normal cdrom Mode 1 for loading a/v/code data?
   In other words, is Mode 2 unused?

2) Hey, what the heck <grin> is CDXL?  If it's neither software nor hardware,
then is it a miracle product?  Or a state of bliss?  Or ??  :-) :-)

Thanks again.  Curious cat - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>