[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Tape drive on 2090a, help needed.

dbk@phx.mcd.mot.com (Dave Kinzer) (06/20/91)

I originally posted this to comp.sys.amiga.programmer, but have not had
any sucess in solving this yet.  What I need is for someone who has
a 2090a controller to use XOPER (or similar) and look up the device
version for hddisk.device to see if a newer one has been issued.
Please note that for BTN Tape on a 2090a, a unit number of 7 means
scsi ID 4  (Units 1 and 2 are the ST506 Drives).

Begin old message:

Help!!!  :^)

   I am trying to get BTN tape to work on my system.  The system
will hang (completely) when I try to mount the TAPE: device, requiring
three finger salute to recover.  No LED Flashing or GURU.

Hardware:

A2000
A2630 (enabled/disabled, no difference)
8Meg memory board, 4 meg installed
A2090A (hard disk is ST506 type)
Archive 2150 Viper, strapped address 4, (parity on/off no difference),
   16K disconnect

Software:
BTN Tape 2.0
1.3 software:
   Kick V34.5
   WB   V34.28
hddisk.device V34.4
No ARP software, Mount command from 1.3.2 release.

/* Tape mountlist.  */
TAPE:   Handler   = L:tape-handler
        Startup   = "hddisk.device/UN-7/BS-512/NB-16/C9-1"
        Stacksize = 4000
        Priority  = 5      /* use 11 for Supra 4x4 */
        GlobVec   = -1
        Mount     = 1
#

Symptoms include:

1. System locks up shortly (2 sec in 68000 mode) after typing Mount TAPE:.
2. If I place a tape in the drive before typing above, tape drive resets
   (tape is driven to BOT) when I try to mount it, then system hangs.
   This indicates that the SCSI ID is correct, since it talks to the drive.
3. Does not lock up if I change unit number in mountlist to 8, but dos
   requester for "TAPE:" comes up.  (i.e. SCSI device being addressed
   never comes ready.)  Since there is no SCSI device at address 5, this
   indicates the software only locks up if it actually talks to a device.

Does anyone see anything obviously wrong with the above?  This seemed to
be a simple excercise but it just won't go.  If anyone has a 2090A working
I would appreciate you checking the version number (I used xoper since it
resides on rom) of the hddisk.device, I have a very early 2090A and suspect
that this might be the problem.

Thank you.

            * * *   Imminent use of deathnet predicted.   * * *             //
Dave Kinzer  (602)897-3085  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!dbk  Opinions are mine. \X/

admiral@m-5.Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht. To everyone but IR "admiral@m-5") (06/21/91)

In article <15028@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, teroach!dbk@phx.mcd.mot.com (Dave Kinzer) writes:

> Begin old message:
>
> Help!!!  :^)
>
>    I am trying to get BTN tape to work on my system.  The system
> will hang (completely) when I try to mount the TAPE: device, requiring
> three finger salute to recover.  No LED Flashing or GURU.

I get the same results when I've tried it. I haven't found out
what the problem is but you shouldn't have to reboot. If you have your
tape drive (and it's controller) on a separate power supply you should
be able to just turn off the tape drive. This will reset the scsi bus
and release the mount. No reboot. It works on mine.

Now if I can figure out why mine hangs.

Mick

Working is for saps.
                - Bart Simpson
"I think there's a world market for about 5 computers."
        - Thomas J. Watson, Chairman of the Board, IBM (around 1948)
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!admiral

dsg@cci632.cci.com (David Greenberg) (06/22/91)

	Try running TapeMon right after mounting tape and "unplugging"
	the power to the tape drive to free - the SCSI bus.... See
	what the tapemon output says...

					Just a thought,
					Dave

(I have BTN working with my HardFrame and Cihper SCSI, but close to the
same thing was happening when I was using my Kronos (CLTD) controller
, the CLTD.device did not support SCSI direct)

dsg@cci632.cci.com (David Greenberg) (06/22/91)

	Now That I re-re-re-read my last post, let me clarify:

		Power up amiga, power up tape drive,
		mount tape, and RUN TapeMon "at same time" ie. right after
		tape is mounted, then unplug power to tape drive to free
		SCSI bus, to see that happens..

						Dave

wemmpd@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Peter Wemm) (06/24/91)

admiral@m-5.Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht. To everyone but IR "admiral@m-5") writes:

>In article <15028@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, teroach!dbk@phx.mcd.mot.com (Dave Kinzer) writes:
>>    I am trying to get BTN tape to work on my system.  The system
>> will hang (completely) when I try to mount the TAPE: device, requiring
>> three finger salute to recover.  No LED Flashing or GURU.
>>
>I get the same results when I've tried it. I haven't found out
>what the problem is but you shouldn't have to reboot. If you have your
>tape drive (and it's controller) on a separate power supply you should
>be able to just turn off the tape drive. This will reset the scsi bus
>and release the mount. No reboot. It works on mine.

>Now if I can figure out why mine hangs.

>Mick

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you all will.. :-), but I dont
think that the 2090 series support SCSI direct, and I think BTNTape
uses it...   That's a probable reason for a hang....

--
Peter Wemm
peter@cs.curtin.edu.au  (Home) +61-9-450-5243