[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Bizarre problems with the new Maxtor 120M SCSI drive

cassiel@well.sf.ca.us (Paul Theodoropoulos) (06/22/91)

I'm hoping that the hardware illuminati out in net-land will be able to
figure this out.

I own an Amiga 3000. i recently purchased a Maxtor 7120SR SCSI drive from
a mac peripheral reseller. I had hoped to set this pup up as my boot
drive, and then sell my stock quantum 40 meg drive (and the Conner 40meg
i hacked into the system some time ago). unfortunately, this drive just
will not work with my machine. First off, it spins up VERY slowly, a la
seagate. so slowly that on cold boot, the machine thinks there's no
harddrive in the system. OK, fine, i'll keep the quantum for booting,
and use the maxtor as my second drive....NOPE. i've tried everything
in the book and this drive will not function properly. I've tried
"HDToolBox", which tells me its a Maxtor 7120SCS, Rev 3228. 1497 Cylinders.
4 heads. 42 blocks per track. 164 blocks per cylinder. (Maxtor tech support
says 1498 cyl., 4 heads, 42 bl. per track). QBTools says only ONE head.
anyway, i can low- and high-level format the drive. i can copy files to
the drive. if i try and run programs from it, i get the full complement
of amigados disk error notices: checksum error, key invalid, bad header, etc.
if i copy a full directory to the drive, then run LS, many of the files
in the directory will be listed multiple times. If i run QBTools, it
will report "Disk error reading bitmap". I've tried doing the full
complement of harddrive installing programs on the A3000 Install Disk:
PrepHD, FormatHD, InstallHD. This always fails at some point, with either
the machine or the drive locking up (or both).
Yes, i've turned off Reselection via HDToolBox.
In fact, i took the drive in to work, and had MIS install it in a MacIIcx,
format, run diagnostics, etc.. Checks out fine, so i guess the drive isn't
defective.
I'm rather at my wits end! i've got this nifty, big, new harddrive that
is virtually useless. (yes, i've jumpered the scsi address to whatever is
appropriate - 06 if i'm using it as first and bootable, anything else if
used as second drive). (Yes, i'm minding my termination, terminating the
last unit in the daisy-chain).

Any wizards out there have any ideas? I've called Maxtor tech support,
they don't know Amiga from Atari. I've talked to my local amiga dealer,
Winner's Circle, and though friendly and helpful, they had no idea.
I've gone over the System Software manuals with a fine tooth comb. I've
scoured the "introducing the Commodore Amiga 3000" booklet (which has
remarkably detailed technical info, but nothing that helped with this
problem).
i'd hate to have to chuck this drive ( a: return drive to sellor.
b: sell via comp.marketplace. c: trade for a 105meg quantum that MIS
has offered ). i want my 120 megabytes!!

i should note that the previously mentioned Conner, a CP340, came
from a computer equipment scavenging company. came from a Mac. it
also gave me some grief, trying to install it - difficult to format.
but that grief amounted to maybe six hours. not the week this one
has cost me...)

thank you very much in advance, and my sincere apologies for the length
of this.

i remain,

Paul Theodoropoulos               cassiel@well.sf.ca.us

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (06/22/91)

In article <25594@well.sf.ca.us> cassiel@well.sf.ca.us (Paul Theodoropoulos) writes:

>I'm hoping that the hardware illuminati out in net-land will be able to
>figure this out.
>
>I own an Amiga 3000. i recently purchased a Maxtor 7120SR SCSI drive from
>a mac peripheral reseller. I had hoped to set this pup up as my boot
>drive, and then sell my stock quantum 40 meg drive (and the Conner 40meg
>i hacked into the system some time ago). unfortunately, this drive just
>will not work with my machine.

 Something to look into might be a problem with the external SCSI port on
the Amiga 3000. It has been quite a while since I heard about it but I
vaguely remember some of the very first A3000s having a problem with the
external SCSI port. Maybe you have one of the very first A3000. I think it
was something as simple as a diode backwards.

--
Darrell Grainger % Comspec Communications Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Canada
darrell@comspec  % Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own.

cassiel@well.sf.ca.us (Paul Theodoropoulos) (06/24/91)

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) writes:

 > Something to look into might be a problem with the external SCSI port on
>the Amiga 3000. It has been quite a while since I heard about it but I
>vaguely remember some of the very first A3000s having a problem with the
>external SCSI port. Maybe you have one of the very first A3000. I think it
>was something as simple as a diode backwards.

I failed to note that i am setting this up internally, using the 50 pin ribbon
cable. stupid error on my part - that's the problem with trying to get a
serious hardware problem figured out via a text description.

i've tried setting it up as the only harddrive in the system, and as the
second (of two) in the system. neither way works (of course i terminate only
the last drive in the daisy chain).

if i try formatting it with the amigados format command - e.g.:

format drive mdh0: name maxtor0 ffs noicons

(without the 'quick' option), the format will lock up after anywhere from
14 cylinders to 130 cylinders formatted and verified (by "lock up" i mean
that the harddrive light locks on, the pointer locks up, everything. i have
to reboot.) if i format using the 'quick' option, it seems to work, and
_info_ will report back a valid amigados drive. i can copy files and
directories to it, but if i try to run a program (i.e. click on the icon),
 i'll get a requestor stating "cannot open tool xxxx", or, the machine will
lock up and i'll have to reboot.
another oddity is that if i use HDToolBox, and simply repartition the drive,
after rebooting, the icon for the drive will come up titled with odd
characters after the device name (one's that i can't recreate with this
terminal program), like MDH0: followed by four 'u's with umlauts.

i've used the following programs in various attempts to solve this problem:

HDToolBox V2.0
Format (amigados)
Bformat
Validate
DiskSalv V1.42
FixDisk V1.2
Quarterback Tools V1.5
Sectorama

i think the most telling info i've gotten back so far is when using
Quarterback Tools, i select "show volume space fragmentation" and it
reports back "disk error reading bitmap". unfortunately, though qbtools
tries to fix the problem (root block corrupt - reformat volume), it
does not do so successfully. i reformat and have the same problems.

my brain is starting to hurt....!

paul theodoropoulos              cassiel@well.sf.ca.us

arno@cbmnlu1.cbm.nl (Arno Griffioen) (06/24/91)

In article <25635@well.sf.ca.us> cassiel@well.sf.ca.us (Paul Theodoropoulos) writes:
>format drive mdh0: name maxtor0 ffs noicons
>
>(without the 'quick' option), the format will lock up after anywhere from
>14 cylinders to 130 cylinders formatted and verified (by "lock up" i mean
>that the harddrive light locks on, the pointer locks up, everything. i have
>to reboot.) if i format using the 'quick' option, it seems to work, and

OK, I've seen this before. Did you turn reselect _OFF_???? The maxtor
probably can't handle it (unlike a Quantum). If reselect is on and the
drive doesn't support it, this is the exact result I saw... I believe it's
in the extended options of the HDtoolbox. (btw. did you do a low-level?)

>another oddity is that if i use HDToolBox, and simply repartition the drive,
>after rebooting, the icon for the drive will come up titled with odd
>characters after the device name (one's that i can't recreate with this
>terminal program), like MDH0: followed by four 'u's with umlauts.

That's normal. The data on the drive before formatting is bogus, so it
just guesses a name and prepends the device name. You'll have to do a real
format to get it right.

>i think the most telling info i've gotten back so far is when using
>Quarterback Tools, i select "show volume space fragmentation" and it
>reports back "disk error reading bitmap". unfortunately, though qbtools

It's not formatted, so that's correct...

>my brain is starting to hurt....!

Just try to turn reselect off and see if it helps. I think so...

>paul theodoropoulos              cassiel@well.sf.ca.us

						Bye Arno.

--
Arno Griffioen             |  Commodore Nederland B.V. Unix Support Center
Email: arno@cbmnlu1.cbm.nl |  Tel: (+31) 020-5806748