[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP Series II / Syquest / Quantum P80S HD Wierdness

ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) (06/23/91)

    Strange problem.  I have a friend with a GVP Series II Controller, a Syquest
40 MB removable HD, and a Quantum 80S HD.  The strange problem is is that when
all three are attached and "online", the Syquest randomly seeks and its Yellow
disk activity light flashs randomly.  If I confuse the GVP into thinking the
Syquest isn't there anymore, (info command doesn't see the Syquest), the thing
stops the seeking bit, but as soon as the GVP sees it again, boom, the seeking
begins.  (The HD activity led on the GVP is off during most of this).  Anyone
else ever hear of this?  At first I thougt it was hardware, termination, noise
on the SCSI bus, etc., but I can prevent the GVP controller from seeing the
Syquest (however physically still connected), and the Syquest is happy.
The other thing is, if I disable the quantum (leave it on the SCSI bus, but
prevent the GVP from seeing it), the Syquest stops the seeking bit.   Otherwise,
the system works fine.   The GVP roms are 3.07, the board is around 6 Months
old.

                   Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Mike...

      Mike Kraml - Manager-Finance MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (the HARD Hack)
          UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl.sbc.com!ammrk

Ernie_Gorrie@mindlink.bc.ca (Ernie Gorrie) (06/23/91)

ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com writes:

> Msg-ID: <1991Jun23.023420.9043@swbatl.sbc.com>
>
> Org.  : Southwestern Bell
> Person: Mike R. Kraml
>

>     Strange problem.  I have a friend with a GVP Series II Controller, a
> Syquest 40 MB removable HD, and a Quantum 80S HD.  The strange problem is is
> that when all three are attached and "online", the Syquest randomly seeks and
> its Yellow disk activity light flashs randomly.

        My advice is to not sweat it.  I have a similar setup (GVP Series II,
SyQuest, Q80S) and the same behaviour.  I previously had the SyQuest with a C
Ltd. (pre-KRONOS) and a Seagate 277-N and had the same behaviour.
--
No Fancy Signature Here Just: Ernie_Gorrie@mindlink.UUCP
(Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada)

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (06/24/91)

In article <rkushner.1867@sycom.UUCP>, rkushner@sycom.UUCP
(Ronald Kushner) writes:

> ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) writes:
>
>> (The HD activity led on the GVP is off during most of
>> this).

Then it's obviously the drive's firmware. The host adapter
cannot independantly control the LED.

> When you connected 2 or more drives to my old Series II (I
> have an A3000 now, got sick of <<Insert favorate profanity
> here>> with HD controllers, sold everything) it would send
> the heads out of range<CRUNCH! POP! BANG!>.
>
> Ralph said on the net that the "controller" sending the
> drives out of range is nonesence and impossiable, but I
> have talked to others with the same damn problems

I said that the _host_adapter_ cannot send the heads out of
range. The Seagate's _controller_, of course, _could_ do so
(and maybe it even does).

> Seems GVP has something, somewhere, going on when you add
> more than one drive, and they don't want to admit it

If you have two or more targets connected, the driver will
use disconnect/reconnect. This is documented on page 32 of
the manual.

Ralph

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/24/91)

ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) writes:

>    Strange problem.  I have a friend with a GVP Series II Controller, a Syque
>40 MB removable HD, and a Quantum 80S HD.  The strange problem is is that when
>all three are attached and "online", the Syquest randomly seeks and its Yellow
>disk activity light flashs randomly.  If I confuse the GVP into thinking the
>Syquest isn't there anymore, (info command doesn't see the Syquest), the thing
>stops the seeking bit, but as soon as the GVP sees it again, boom, the seeking
>begins.  (The HD activity led on the GVP is off during most of this).  Anyone
>else ever hear of this?  At first I thougt it was hardware, termination, noise
>on the SCSI bus, etc., but I can prevent the GVP controller from seeing the
>Syquest (however physically still connected), and the Syquest is happy.
>The other thing is, if I disable the quantum (leave it on the SCSI bus, but
>prevent the GVP from seeing it), the Syquest stops the seeking bit.   Otherwis
>the system works fine.   The GVP roms are 3.07, the board is around 6 Months
>old.
>
>                   Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Mike...

Wonder if this is the same thing my Seagate was doing...When you connected 2
or more drives to my old Series II (I have an A3000 now, got sick of <<Insert
favorate profanity here>> with HD controllers, sold everything) it would send
the heads out of range<CRUNCH! POP! BANG!>. Exchanged the Seagate and the new
one still did it, GVP suggested sending back the controller...Did that and it
worked for about a month and then it started again. After my first experience
dealing with them, I decided to sell my A2000 and get the 3000(see below)..I
had a revision 2 board the first time, and the second one was a revision
5...Both had 3.07 roms....Ralph said on the net that the "controller" sending
the drives out of range is nonesence and impossiable, but I have talked to
others with the same damn problems...And its not just the Series II
controllers, but thier original 120 part count(My estimate) HD+8MEG
controllers...

I would suggest trying a different controller for a week..Seems GVP has
something, somewhere, going on when you add more than one drive, and they
don't want to admit it...Heck, after dealing with GVP, and them telling me
one thing and then doing another, I would put them as a "poor" company if I
was ever asked...Its not how it works, but how they fix it when it
doesn't...A local guy and I allmost went to pay a personal visit them after
they <words don't describe it> him around for a few months with his 3001 KIT
when it fried(January, it was the same time I was having problems with GVP).
They(GVP) kept telling him it was shipped UPS red everyday for two weeks.
Whatever you do, don't let your local dealer mail anything to GVP for service,
have them swap it on the spot for a new one or you'll be playing games for
MONTHS...As far as I know, the local dealer never recieved the guys repaired
3001 kit because they just gave the guy a brand new one after so many lies
from GVP on the status of his 3001....

<My bad experience with GVP follows. Not for the faint at heart>

Whatever you do, don't make any special deals with Gregg Garnick, because
whatever he arranges is forgotten after you hang up the phone with him. I set
up a deal with him for them to mail out a new controller to replace the
defective one, and they would take my credit card number as insurance that
I would mail the defective controller back.. Took them awhile to mail it out,
and then when I got it, I mailed the old one back(I feed like 7 sites for
UUCP, run a multi-line BBS, and can't have much downtime or I upset quite a
few systems)...Well, they still billed my credit card the $239, and wouldn't
remove the charge! I gave them the airbill number from UPS, told them how I
shipped it, etc, etc, etc, and they said they would look into it and remove
the charge..Sure they would...waited two weeks, then sent the credit card
company all the recipts, etc, and they removed the improper charge, but it
seems GVP is still screwing around trying to figure out whats going on, I got
a letter from UPS asking about the HD controller Friday...

You will never again see kind words for GVP from me...Thats right, I admit it,
I wrote them off....A hassle is not what I want when I spend over $100 on
anything...And if they keep it up their <CENSORED>, I will feel open to share
it with all...I called <<insert favorate cuss word here>> GVP enough for AT&T
to start sending me junk mail to sign up with their SelectSaver(sm) plan and
save money every time I call the 215 area code. If GVP doesn't know whats
going on, at least I know that AT&T does...I originally thought so highly of
them...they were like Christ...but now I reconginse them as the devil
himself!!

Followups to: comp.sys.amiga.why.i.hate.gvp

<End of story>

I hope I create a Maloxx Moment(TM) there in King of Prussia. Maybe they will
straighten out..Nah, probably not...I'll just keep getting letters...

I USED TO THINK Commodore should take lessons from GVP, but now I pray that
they don't!!!! Wow, glad to get this out, its been bottled up since Feburary
but that letter on Friday stuck another pitchfork into me as I searched for
my records on the whole thing!!

-- C-UseNet V0.42e
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
          No blood for oil! Raising C.A.F.E. to 40MPG is just that!

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun24.180035.19244@comspec.uucp>,
darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) writes:

> [...] or the SyQuest is unlike other 'removeable' media
> and requires the GVP to do odd things just to get the
> system working.

No special "SyQuest kludges" in gvpscsi.device.

Ralph

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun23.023420.9043@swbatl.sbc.com> ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) writes:

>    Strange problem.  I have a friend with a GVP Series II Controller, a
>Syquest
>40 MB removable HD, and a Quantum 80S HD.  The strange problem is is that when
>all three are attached and "online", the Syquest randomly seeks and its Yellow
>disk activity light flashs randomly.  If I confuse the GVP into thinking the
>Syquest isn't there anymore, (info command doesn't see the Syquest), the thing
>stops the seeking bit, but as soon as the GVP sees it again, boom, the seeking
>begins.  (The HD activity led on the GVP is off during most of this).  Anyone
>else ever hear of this?  At first I thougt it was hardware, termination, noise
>on the SCSI bus, etc., but I can prevent the GVP controller from seeing the
>Syquest (however physically still connected), and the Syquest is happy.
>The other thing is, if I disable the quantum (leave it on the SCSI bus, but
>prevent the GVP from seeing it), the Syquest stops the seeking bit.
>   Otherwise,
>the system works fine.   The GVP roms are 3.07, the board is around 6 Months
>old.

 I have seen the same problem with other controller cards which leads me to
think that it might be either old ROMs on the SyQuest or the SyQuest is unlike
other 'removeable' media and requires the GVP to do odd things just to get the
system working. I do know that the ROMs on SyQuests did have to be updated a
few times before they worked properly on Amiga SCSI controllers (or Mac).

>                   Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Mike...
>
>--
>      Mike Kraml - Manager-Finance MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (the HARD Hack)
>          UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl.sbc.com!ammrk

Darrell Grainger % Comspec Communications Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Canada
darrell@comspec  % Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own.
(416) 617-1475   % (416) 633-5605	(416)785-3553

brians@hpcupt3.cup.hp.com (Brian Sullivan) (06/25/91)

Call SyQuest and get the lastest ROMS from them.  The early ROMS from
SyQuest were quite flakey and even slower than the new ROMS.  I think
that I have ROM version FFH, and there may even be a newer version
from SyQuest.