[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Supra HD controller

cdibenedetto@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (06/21/91)

	How is the Supra Word-Sunc HD controller for the A2000?  How many SCSI
devices can it support?  How expandable is it?  What other controllers can you
recommend at a low cost?
	The reason I'm asking these questions is that I'm preparing to buy an
HD, but need to decide between a cheap controller and extra RAM or an expensive
controller and no RAM.  I know the GVP II controllers have the RAM expansion,
and Im right now looking for options and comparing prices.
	Thanx for you help.
----
Cesidio DiBenedetto

bmaple@isis.cs.du.edu (Bob Maple) (06/22/91)

> How is the Supra Word-Sunc HD controller for the A2000?

I don't know about the 2000 controlers, but their 500/1000 controlers are
trash.  I had an ol 4x4 for my 1000 and was totaly disapointed; it was
dreafully slow, and had a thing about FREEZING the computer anytime I accessed
the hard drive.  While loading things my mouse pointer wouldn't move, and
I also ran a BBS at the time so anytime I did any work, the user was stopped
until I was done.  I also owned and know many people who still do own 500
controlers and they aren't much better.  I have a friend who cannot download
to his hard drive with JRComm because the controler barfs at something and
gives him TONS of errors anytime he goes to write to the HD.

Spend the extra money and get a Xetec or a GVP..or SOMETHING else!
 : Bob Maple, The Brazilian : "If Milli Vanilli fall in a forrest, does  //:
 :   bmaple@nyx.cs.du.edu   : someone else make a sound?"            _  // :
 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::........................................\\//..:

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz (06/23/91)

In article <1991Jun21.191049.27246@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>, bmaple@isis.cs.du.edu (Bob Maple) writes:
>> How is the Supra Word-Sunc HD controller for the A2000?
>
> I don't know about the 2000 controlers, but their 500/1000 controlers are
> trash.  I had an ol 4x4 for my 1000 and was totaly disapointed; it was

I agree with this statement, too.

> dreafully slow, and had a thing about FREEZING the computer anytime I accessed
> the hard drive.  While loading things my mouse pointer wouldn't move, and
> I also ran a BBS at the time so anytime I did any work, the user was stopped
> until I was done.  I also owned and know many people who still do own 500
> controlers and they aren't much better.  I have a friend who cannot download
> to his hard drive with JRComm because the controler barfs at something and
> gives him TONS of errors anytime he goes to write to the HD.

I had someone within Supra steal my cheques twice. The second time they
refused to return the cheque or provide the goods.

I recommend you avoid them.

> Spend the extra money and get a Xetec or a GVP..or SOMETHING else!
> --

Sound advice.
>  : Bob Maple, The Brazilian : "If Milli Vanilli fall in a forrest, does  //:
>  :   bmaple@nyx.cs.du.edu   : someone else make a sound?"            _  // :
>  ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::........................................\\//..:

Regards Alan

jayward@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) (06/23/91)

baxter_a@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:

>In article <1991Jun21.191049.27246@mnemosyne.cs.du.edu>, bmaple@isis.cs.du.edu (Bob Maple) writes:
>>> How is the Supra Word-Sunc HD controller for the A2000?
>>
>> I don't know about the 2000 controlers, but their 500/1000 controlers are
>> trash.  I had an ol 4x4 for my 1000 and was totaly disapointed; it was

>I agree with this statement, too.

I have a Supra 500XP and I am VERY pleased with it.  It is MUCH newer than the
4x4 series.  I suspect that their newer generation 2000 controllers are nearly
the same product as the 500XP.

>> dreafully slow, and had a thing about FREEZING the computer anytime I accessed
>> the hard drive.  While loading things my mouse pointer wouldn't move, and
>> I also ran a BBS at the time so anytime I did any work, the user was stopped
>> until I was done.  I also owned and know many people who still do own 500
>> controlers and they aren't much better.  I have a friend who cannot download
>> to his hard drive with JRComm because the controler barfs at something and
>> gives him TONS of errors anytime he goes to write to the HD.

I have a USR DS modem and I get 1650 cps downloading directly to the hard drive
and I have NEVER had a problem.  I have never had the hard drive lock or any
other problems with the drive.  I plugged it in and have used it ever since
without a hitch.

>I had someone within Supra steal my cheques twice. The second time they
>refused to return the cheque or provide the goods.

On the other hand, I have received excellent technical support from them.
They even returned my call when I had a question about RAM chips.

>I recommend you avoid them.

>> Spend the extra money and get a Xetec or a GVP..or SOMETHING else!
>> --

>Sound advice.

I had a Microbotics Hardframe on my 2000 which I was very pleased with, but
it also cost more at the time.  I wouldn't count out Supra until you've
looked at their NEWER controllers.

Please note that I do not represent Supra in any way, shape or form.  I just
felt that with all the bad comments, a good experience was in order!

>>  : Bob Maple, The Brazilian : "If Milli Vanilli fall in a forrest, does  //:
>>  :   bmaple@nyx.cs.du.edu   : someone else make a sound?"            _  // :
>>  ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::........................................\\//..:

>Regards Alan

	-Jay-

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/24/91)

jayward@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Jay Ward) writes:
>I had a Microbotics Hardframe on my 2000 which I was very pleased with, but
>it also cost more at the time.  I wouldn't count out Supra until you've
>looked at their NEWER controllers.
>
>Please note that I do not represent Supra in any way, shape or form.  I just
>felt that with all the bad comments, a good experience was in order!

I would still avoid them. My friend bought an Supra 500XP, and had all kinds
of GURU's(like someone else with an older Word-Stink), took it back, got
another and the HD was winding up and down wierdly...Took it back and they
said his computer was fried or had a bad port on it or something... He also
had all kinds of errors downloading with his HST modem....He bitched, got the
GVP for the same price, except for he didn't get the RAM(but he did get the 50
meg Quantum), and then still had errors downloading though, added 2 megs of
ram and his downloading errors disapeared....Needless to say, his Supra
experience made him decide to sell his Amiga alltogether...I can live with
quirks for awhile, some people can't...

I had a Supra 2400ZI internal modem...Had no real hardware problems but thier
modem0.device was junk and caused GURU's...I sold that...and decided then that
Supra was not a quality company...

I think that Phil also has had Supra problems...But I will let him talk about
them himself since he's on the net...

-- C-UseNet V0.42e
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
          No blood for oil! Raising C.A.F.E. to 40MPG is just that!

bmaple@isis.cs.du.edu (Bob Maple) (06/24/91)

> I would still avoid them.

Agreed. I too know someone who bought an 500XP and the thing would not spooup
in the mornings; it would take half a dozen reboots to get it going (as in
turning off the power!)  He sent it to supra (that is ALWAYS their answer to
problems, "SEND IT BACK and we'll run tests!").  Naturaly they found nothing
wrong with it being it's their perfect equipment!  He finaly sent it back to
Roger Coats for a GVP-II instead, and when Roger Coats did a little testing
of their own, found it WAS broken.  Surpra isn't worth the time or trouble.

phils@ampun.UUCP (Philip Sokolowski) (06/25/91)

In article <rkushner.1627@sycom.UUCP> rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) writes:

>I would still avoid them. My friend bought an Supra 500XP, and had all kinds
>of GURU's(like someone else with an older Word-Stink), took it back, got
>another and the HD was winding up and down wierdly...Took it back and they
>said his computer was fried or had a bad port on it or something... He also
>had all kinds of errors downloading with his HST modem....He bitched, got the
>GVP for the same price, except for he didn't get the RAM(but he did get the 50
>meg Quantum), and then still had errors downloading though, added 2 megs of
>ram and his downloading errors disapeared....Needless to say, his Supra
>experience made him decide to sell his Amiga alltogether...I can live with
>quirks for awhile, some people can't...
>
>I had a Supra 2400ZI internal modem...Had no real hardware problems but thier
>modem0.device was junk and caused GURU's...I sold that...and decided then that
>Supra was not a quality company...
>
>I think that Phil also has had Supra problems...But I will let him talk about
>them himself since he's on the net...

	Man..Talk about PROBLEMS! I swear to god, I will NEVER purchase
another Supra product for as long as I live!

	I to bought a Supra Drive unit, and got NOTHING but errors, Gurus, and
system crashes. I had to send it in to be looked at, and all that Supra did was
make fake (and outrageously lame excuses) to what was wrong with it.

	Ever since it was bought, it screwed up almost every 15-25 minutes.
and it never did get fixed.. Whenever i sent it in to get looked at, all that
Supra said was "Well, you had a bad chip" or "We had to fix your cable" or my
altime favotie "We put in the autoboot chip wrong".. If these resons arn't
enough to stop ANYBODY from buying a Supra, I dont know what is.. Anyways, I
now own a nice new GVP Series ][ for my A500, and I can tell you, i never have
had ANY problems what so ever.

--
Philip Sokolowski                                  (__)   Moooooo
31700 Lexington Hgts.                              (oo) /