[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP 68030 22/33/50 Mhz simm memory

spyen@netcom.COM (Shyh-Pei Yen) (06/10/91)

I am planning to buy a GVP 68030 accelerator board. I read their ad in
AmigaWorld. The part about memory expansion is pretty confusing for me.

As the ad states:

GVP's new custom 32-bit wide, 1MB or 4MB, SIMM32(TM) memory modules offer
flexible, easy-to-install memory expansion. 22Mhz model has 1MB factory
installed memory, expandable to 13MB. 33Mhz model has 4MB factory installed
memory, expandable to 16MB.

What do they mean by "custom memory module"? Does that mean I have to buy
memory from them because it is customized? Or those memory modules are the
same as some sold in stores?

spyen@netcom.com
(Still looking for a good sig.)

easton@zds-oem.zds.com (Jeff Easton) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun10.063054.26295@netcom.COM> spyen@netcom.COM (Shyh-Pei Yen) writes:
>I am planning to buy a GVP 68030 accelerator board. I read their ad in
>AmigaWorld. The part about memory expansion is pretty confusing for me.

  Here we go again... :-)

>As the ad states:
>
>GVP's new custom 32-bit wide, 1MB or 4MB, SIMM32(TM) memory modules offer
>flexible, easy-to-install memory expansion. 22Mhz model has 1MB factory
>installed memory, expandable to 13MB. 33Mhz model has 4MB factory installed
>memory, expandable to 16MB.
>
>What do they mean by "custom memory module"? Does that mean I have to buy
>memory from them because it is customized? Or those memory modules are the
>same as some sold in stores?

  In order;

1) its a SIMM pinout they dreamed up themselves.
2) Yes.
3) No.

  Ralph and I beat this one to death a couple of weeks ago.  You may want
to try and look up some old articles.

  Basically, there are two JEDEC standard SIMM's.  x8 (or x9 w/parity)
30 pin SIMM's and x32 (x36 w/parity) 72 pin modules.  GVP chose to bring
out their own 64 pin x32 module.

>spyen@netcom.com

        Jeff Easton               Zenith Data Systems
     // Systems Engineer
   \X/  easton%zds-oem@caspian.cs.andrews.edu
	easton@andrews.edu
   What?  Preemptive Multitasking in only 256K of RAM?  :^)  :^)

Gerrit_Heitsch@ibase.stgt.sub.org (Gerrit Heitsch) (06/19/91)

>>What do they mean by "custom memory module"? Does that mean I have
>>to buy memory from them because it is customized? Or those memory
>>modules are the same as some sold in stores?
>
>  In order;
>
>1) its a SIMM pinout they dreamed up themselves.
Are you sure ? I think these SIMMs look the same as the SIMMs for
the new MACs

>GVP chose to bring out their own 64 pin x32 module.
The SIMMs for the new MACs use exactly the same organisation,
but I'm not sure if the SIMMs from GVP are exactly the same
as the SIMMs from Apple.

Gerrit

-- Via DLG Pro v0.97b

        Gerrit Heitsch - Moenchweg 16 - D-7038 Holzgerlingen
               phone : ++49 7031 49812   (voice only)
        UUCP : gerrit@ibase.stgt.sub.org - FIDO : 2:244/7253

easton@zds-oem.zds.com (Jeff Easton) (06/19/91)

In article <Gerrit_Heitsch.0502@ibase.stgt.sub.org> Gerrit_Heitsch@ibase.stgt.sub.org (Gerrit Heitsch) writes:
>>>What do they mean by "custom memory module"? Does that mean I have
>>>to buy memory from them because it is customized? Or those memory
>>>modules are the same as some sold in stores?
>>
>>  In order;
>>
>>1) its a SIMM pinout they dreamed up themselves.

>Are you sure ? I think these SIMMs look the same as the SIMMs for
>the new MACs

  Hmmm.  I'm not up on the latest MAC's but was under the impression
that they still use the x8's.  What does the LC and IIsi use?

>>GVP chose to bring out their own 64 pin x32 module.

>The SIMMs for the new MACs use exactly the same organisation,
>but I'm not sure if the SIMMs from GVP are exactly the same
>as the SIMMs from Apple.

  Same organization maybe, but the same number of connections?
Pull that copy of the TI Memory Data Book (or OKI, NEC, Toshiba) off
the shelf and look up the x32 and x36 modules.  How many connections
do they have?  The books I've looked at show 72 pins, not 64.

>        Gerrit Heitsch - Moenchweg 16 - D-7038 Holzgerlingen

        Jeff Easton               Zenith Data Systems
     // Systems Engineer
   \X/  easton%zds-oem@caspian.cs.andrews.edu
	easton@andrews.edu
   What?  Preemptive Multitasking in only 256K of RAM?  :^)  :^)

jollick@amiglynx.UUCP (Jim Ollick) (06/25/91)

The GVP cards use Nibble Mode SIMMS as oposed to Page Mode SIMMS that the MACs
use. Both are available from mail order companies.