[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] TURN COMPUTER OFF OR LEAVE ON?

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (05/26/91)

In article <1991May25.151636.679@monu0.cc.monash.edu.au> ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  k.l. lentin) writes:
>In article <20114@rsiatl.Dixie.Com> jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) writes:
>>quimby@madoka.its.rpi.edu (Quimby Pipple) writes:
>
>>On April 14th in the early morning while I was asleep, a monitor in my
>>office below decided to practice self-emolation.  The resultant fire
>>destroyed my office and my house.  Thanks to a smoke alarm, I barely
>>got out in time.
>>
>A few people have made this comment about omnitors, maybe turning the monitor
>off may save your house next time, but the PC is less likely to self combust
>so leaving it on isn't as much a problem.

Dunno if you didn't get a manual with your monitor, or you just didn't read
it, but when I bought my Amiga Monitor Model 1080 in 1985, it had a very
large warning in the manual that reads:

 If it is necessary to leave the room for more than a short period of time,
 ALWAYS turn the monitor OFF. Always turn the monitor OFF when you leave the
 house.  ANY malfunction in the monitor can result in a fire hazard.

It also says:

 For added protection, unplug the monitor from the power source during an
 electrical storm or when the monitor is to be left unattended for a long
 time. This prevents shocks and fire hazards due to lightning or power-line
 surges.

Ah, screen blanking programs should also have simular warnings in their
documents ;-)

You gotta be careful, and not ignore the warnings of others, because if you
believe that it will never happen to you, guess what WILL happen.

Another point, power supplies gather ALOT of dust and other "things" like
lint in them. If you don't clean them out, I would imagine they too can become
a fire hazard, depending on the enviroment that the computer is in.

Humm, but a computer is generally in a steel case, but you never know...If
you have a large cap in there filled with oil and it explodes, well, I dunno
if computer power supplies have this problem, but air conditioner condensing
units do...Replaced many that have had a capacitor blow and burned up all
the wiring...We always have a few of those after thunderstorms...ALWAYS
a total loss...

--
Ronald Kushner
P.O. Box 353

consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (06/04/91)

At our school, we have SUN workstations that are left on 24 hours a day,
but we turn off the monitors for the simple reason that they consume too
much power, burn the login prompt into the screen, and create excessive
heat.  You should always turn the monitor off when you leave for any
length of time.  On the other hand, the computer doesn't have components
that rely on a constant heat source to operate properly (monitors do,
unfortunately) and thus shouldn't pose a threat.  Interestingly, Apple
doesn't let you turn the monitor off on any of their B/W models.

Best,

Kris

|Kriston J. Rehberg, Student Consultant, SUNY Binghamton Computer Services    |
|consp03@BINGVAXU.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |Opinions expressed here are|
|CONSP03@BINGVAXA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |my own and do not represent|
|CONSP03@BINGVMB.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU                |those of this organization |
+-----> Only Amiga makes it possible! <-----------+--------------------- ;-b -+

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.194555.3525@newserve.cc.binghamton.edu> consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:
>At our school, we have SUN workstations that are left on 24 hours a day,
>but we turn off the monitors for the simple reason that they consume too
>much power, burn the login prompt into the screen, and create excessive
>heat.  You should always turn the monitor off when you leave for any
>length of time.  On the other hand, the computer doesn't have components
>that rely on a constant heat source to operate properly (monitors do,
>unfortunately) and thus shouldn't pose a threat.  Interestingly, Apple
>doesn't let you turn the monitor off on any of their B/W models.
>
>Best,
>
>Kris

	I've heard that it is less expensive to run flourescent lighting
24 hrs/day. This is because more current is used to "juice" the ballast
when its first powered, than is used during its operation. Many office
buildings do not reguarly cycle their flourescent lighting for this purpose.
I would imagine that a CRT is similiar. A CRT tube basically behaves as a
large capacitor. This means that when power is first applied, an abnormal
current surge is required to "charge" it up. I have a SUN display terminal
here at work. It's left on all the time. It, however, has a screen saver
type thing that blackens the screen and displays a varying pattern of blocks.
This saves the phosper from being "burned" and also cuts down on the amount
of heat it produces. Perhaps someone with more insight could elaborate on
this further.

-jeff

soh@andromeda.trl.OZ.AU (kam hung soh) (06/04/91)

consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:

>At our school, we have SUN workstations that are left on 24 hours a day,
>but we turn off the monitors for the simple reason that they consume too
>much power, burn the login prompt into the screen, and create excessive
>heat.

Didn't Sun provide your system with ``screenblank''?  Perhaps your
system operators can add that program to the SunOS startup file (maybe
in /etc/rc.boot or /etc/rc.local).

Until recently, I turned off my monitor on Fridays; I wish I didn't
have to turn up on weekends to finish my projects!

Regards,

Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 3 541 6403
Telecom Research Laboratories, POB 249 Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia

holck@gorm.ruc.dk (Jesper Holck) (06/04/91)

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:
>	I've heard that it is less expensive to run flourescent lighting
>24 hrs/day. This is because more current is used to "juice" the ballast
>when its first powered, than is used during its operation. Many office
>buildings do not reguarly cycle their flourescent lighting for this purpose.
>I would imagine that a CRT is similiar. A CRT tube basically behaves as a
>large capacitor. This means that when power is first applied, an abnormal
>current surge is required to "charge" it up. I have a SUN display terminal
>here at work. It's left on all the time. It, however, has a screen saver
>type thing that blackens the screen and displays a varying pattern of blocks.
>This saves the phosper from being "burned" and also cuts down on the amount
>of heat it produces. Perhaps someone with more insight could elaborate on
>this further.

I think you have got some things wrong ...

The reason that some companies leave their fluorescent lightning on
is because turning the lightning on stresses the tubes a little, so they
won't last so long, not because of the minimimal extra power consumption
turning them on. Obviously they can't in a few seconds use electricity
comparable to hours of use. However, even the companies rely on some
misunderstandings. It is estimated that the cost of turning a fluorescent
tube off and on again (due to the reduced life time of the tube) is comparable
to 1/2 to 1 hours cost of leaving the tube on (due to the increased use
of electricity).

So the general "rule" for fluorescent tubes is: If you are certain that
you will need the light from the tube again within an hour, leave it on,
otherwise turn it off.

I don't know if this also goes for computers though ....

Jesper

consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun3.222753.4186@trl.oz.au>, soh@andromeda.trl.OZ.AU
(kam hung soh) writes:

|>Didn't Sun provide your system with ``screenblank''?  Perhaps your
|>system operators can add that program to the SunOS startup file (maybe
|>in /etc/rc.boot or /etc/rc.local).
|>
|>Until recently, I turned off my monitor on Fridays; I wish I didn't
|>have to turn up on weekends to finish my projects!

Hmm... yes, they did.  Not sure if it works on the console with no
X-server running (we have to start X manually around here - no cutsie
log-in screens) but there is a screen blanker built in to the system, at
least in the X environment, that is always there.

|>Regards,
|>

|>Soh, Kam Hung      email: h.soh@trl.oz.au     tel: +61 3 541 6403
|>Telecom Research Laboratories, POB 249 Clayton, Victoria 3168, Australia

Later,

Kris

|Kriston J. Rehberg, Student Consultant, SUNY Binghamton Computer Services    |
|consp03@BINGSUNS.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               +---------------------------+
|consp03@BINGVAXU.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |Opinions expressed here are|
|CONSP03@BINGVAXA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |my own and do not represent|
|CONSP03@BINGVMB.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU                |those of this organization |
+-----> Only Amiga makes it possible! <-----------+--------------------- ;-b -+

GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) (06/05/91)

On the point of screen blankers. We have here a little network
of ps2/s running aix (ibm's version of unix) and they too have
a screen blanker installed under x-windows. But.... the screen
'blanker' displays a WHITE screen with a moving black X on it |||
What's the point ? Burning in the screen as hard as you can
while the user isn't there ????? Someone who can explain this ?
      Ives Aerts           |          IBM definition SY-34378
GUTEST8@BLEKUL11.BITNET    |   A signature consists of sequences of
gutest8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be | non-blank characters separated by blanks.

anthony@gucis.sct.gu.edu.au (Anthony Thyssen) (06/06/91)

GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) writes:
>On the point of screen blankers. We have here a little network
>of ps2/s running aix (ibm's version of unix) and they too have
>a screen blanker installed under x-windows. But.... the screen
>'blanker' displays a WHITE screen with a moving black X on it |||
>What's the point ? Burning in the screen as hard as you can
>while the user isn't there ????? Someone who can explain this ?
Only static (unchanging) displays burn in  the screen as the same pixels
would always be on. A moving display uses different pixels and only a small
number normally, thus the image is not `burned' into the screen.

tlee@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Timothy Lee) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun6.003043.28563@gucis.sct.gu.edu.au> anthony@gucis.sct.gu.edu.au (Anthony Thyssen) writes:
>GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) writes:
>>On the point of screen blankers. We have here a little network
>>of ps2/s running aix (ibm's version of unix) and they too have
>>a screen blanker installed under x-windows. But.... the screen
>>'blanker' displays a WHITE screen with a moving black X on it |||
>>What's the point ? Burning in the screen as hard as you can
>>while the user isn't there ????? Someone who can explain this ?
>Only static (unchanging) displays burn in  the screen as the same pixels
>would always be on. A moving display uses different pixels and only a small
>number normally, thus the image is not `burned' into the screen.

 But wouldn't it be MUCH MUCH BETTER to make a screen saver with BLACK
 BACK GROUND with a WHITE OBJECT MOVING??  When u display white u use
 more energy to do that rather than displaying a BLACK image
 (OR BACKGROUND).... But I guess THE IBM GUYS DON'T CARE ABOUT MONITOR's
 as much as they care about MONEY...and profits,,...

				-tim
|| tlee@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu  | "All we are saying...      | THIS SPACE     ||
|| tlee@donald.wslab.hawaii.edu | is give peace a chance..." | FOR RENT...    ||
|| tlee@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu   | -John Lennon - Dec 8, 1980.| inquire within ||

donm@pnet07.cts.com (Don Maslin) (06/07/91)

anthony@gucis.sct.gu.edu.au (Anthony Thyssen) writes:
>GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) writes:
>>On the point of screen blankers. We have here a little network
>>of ps2/s running aix (ibm's version of unix) and they too have
>>a screen blanker installed under x-windows. But.... the screen
>>'blanker' displays a WHITE screen with a moving black X on it |||
>>What's the point ? Burning in the screen as hard as you can
>>while the user isn't there ????? Someone who can explain this ?
>Only static (unchanging) displays burn in  the screen as the same pixels
>would always be on. A moving display uses different pixels and only a small
>number normally, thus the image is not `burned' into the screen.

But if the screen displays white, are not *all* of the pixels on except for
those in the moving black 'X' ???

Keeper of the CP/M System Disk | UUCP: {nosc ucsd crash ncr-sd}!pnet07!donm
Archives for the Dino(saur)SIG | ARPA: simasd!pnet07!donm@nosc.mil
- San Diego Computer Society - | INET: donm@pnet07.cts.com

tgoose@eng.umd.edu (Jason Garms) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun3.194555.3525@newserve.cc.binghamton.edu>, consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:

[Stuff deleted]
> unfortunately) and thus shouldn't pose a threat.  Interestingly, Apple
> doesn't let you turn the monitor off on any of their B/W models.
>
> Best,
>
> Kris
>
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |Kriston J. Rehberg, Student Consultant, SUNY Binghamton Computer Services    |
> |consp03@BINGSUNS.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               +---------------------------+
> |consp03@BINGVAXU.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |Opinions expressed here are|
> |CONSP03@BINGVAXA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |my own and do not represent|
> |CONSP03@BINGVMB.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU                |those of this organization |
> +-----> Only Amiga makes it possible! <-----------+--------------------- ;-b -+

I'm sorry??  Then what does that button on the back of my Apple 12" B&W monitor
that I push every night really do?  I always thought it turned the power off,
or maybe its just hypnosis ;->

Also, use screen savers for the machines in the Sun Labs, we do here.  It prevents
screen burn in.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (06/07/91)

In article <91156.110456GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> Ives Aerts <GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> writes:
>On the point of screen blankers. We have here a little network
>of ps2/s running aix (ibm's version of unix) and they too have
>a screen blanker installed under x-windows. But.... the screen
>'blanker' displays a WHITE screen with a moving black X on it |||
>What's the point ? Burning in the screen as hard as you can
>while the user isn't there ????? Someone who can explain this ?

This sounds like the default screen blanker built into the server which
should appear with a white X-logo and black background.  You're right:
this is nearly the best way to burn up the pixels of your monitor.  Someone
may have messed-up when building/coding the server and hardwired in the
wrong pixel values for black and white.  If this is the case, you might try
several things:

    1) Correct the bug in the server source, rebuild, and reinstall the
	server,
    2) Change the default screen blanker behavior by trying the "nologo"
	(don't use logo for screen blanker) and/or "v" flags (turn-off-video
	screen blanker) when starting the X Window server, or
    3) Run a screen-blanker client like xsaver which disables the built-in
	screen blanker.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions are those of the user, and not of this machine.

In article <1991Jun4.210249.1190@newserve.cc.binghamton.edu>, consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:

> Hmm... yes, they did.  Not sure if it works on the console with no
> X-server running (we have to start X manually around here - no cutsie
> log-in screens) but there is a screen blanker built in to the system, at
> least in the X environment, that is always there.
>
> Later,
>
> Kris
>
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |Kriston J. Rehberg, Student Consultant, SUNY Binghamton Computer Services    |
> |consp03@BINGSUNS.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               +---------------------------+
> |consp03@BINGVAXU.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |Opinions expressed here are|
> |CONSP03@BINGVAXA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |my own and do not represent|
> |CONSP03@BINGVMB.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU                |those of this organization |
> +-----> Only Amiga makes it possible! <-----------+--------------------- ;-b -+

Unfortunatly we run our Sun lab in console mode so as to give people a choice
of SunView or X.  This summer when we upgrade to 4.1.1 we will run xdm on these
machines.  This is because people run these machines in console mode even when
they are told not to.  Running them in console mode slows the whole system down
and is really rude to other users who may be using it.  Not to mention it screws
things up with kerberos.

In anycase the screenblanker does work in console mode.

Have a good day.

Jason Garms
tgoose@eng.umd.edu

hychejw@infonode.ingr.com (Jeff W. Hyche) (06/07/91)

	Leaving the computer on will not harm it.  In fact it is better
for it in the long run.  Turning it off and own will speed up thermal
wear on the system and cause falure to componets due to heat.  Leavin
the monitor own is a different story,  Moitors draw more power than a
cpu and I know off at least one fire caused my a compter monitor never
being turned off.  I have been running my Amiga for over two months now
with out turning it off with know problems and the unix box I run here
at work has not been turned off in over a year and a half with no
problems.  Just watch out for lightning.
--
                                  // Jeff Hyche
    There can be only one!    \\ //  Usenet: hychejw@infonode.ingr.com

ben@val.com (Ben Thornton) (06/07/91)

anthony@gucis.sct.gu.edu.au (Anthony Thyssen) writes:

>GUTEST8@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (Ives Aerts) writes:
>>On the point of screen blankers. We have here a little network
>>of ps2/s running aix (ibm's version of unix) and they too have
>>a screen blanker installed under x-windows. But.... the screen
>>'blanker' displays a WHITE screen with a moving black X on it |||
>>What's the point ? Burning in the screen as hard as you can
>>while the user isn't there ????? Someone who can explain this ?
>Only static (unchanging) displays burn in  the screen as the same pixels
>would always be on. A moving display uses different pixels and only a small
>number normally, thus the image is not `burned' into the screen.

No, the 'burn' is cause by bombardment of phosphors by electrons.  This is
what makes them illuminate, but it is also what causes them to burn.
Over time, any crt's phosphors will burn in this fashion, unless the
filament (yes, it's a fire bottle) dies first.

Although motion in the video reduces the average number of electrons that
strike any given phosphor point, it is the absolute number of bombardments
that matter.  Motion of the picture content, therefore, does not prevent
phosphor burns, it merely postpones it.

--
Ben Thornton             packet:  wd5hls@wd5hls.ampr.org
Video Associates       Internet:  ben@val.com

kabra437@athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun4.082135.15082@gorm.ruc.dk> holck@gorm.ruc.dk (Jesper Holck) writes:
>jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:
>
>So the general "rule" for fluorescent tubes is: If you are certain that
>you will need the light from the tube again within an hour, leave it on,
>otherwise turn it off.
>
>I don't know if this also goes for computers though ....

Like many other things in life, the real TRUTH of the matter is hard to
determine and so it becomes a matter of judgement and compromise.
And also like a few other popular subjects, this question seems to repeat
itself on the net in cycles of about 90 days.  I sometimes wonder what
percentage of the posters never READ a group for more than a day or two
before they post.......

Anyway, the general consensus of people that seem (to me) to have a
good head on their shoulders is something in the 4 to 8 hour range.
Like your light bulb rule then: If you are sure that you will need the
computer again within the next 4-8 hours, leave it on, otherwise turn
it off.  In a business environment, this translates to On at 8, Off at 5.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965

fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.163234.3445@val.com>, ben@val.com (Ben Thornton) writes:
|> anthony@gucis.sct.gu.edu.au (Anthony Thyssen) writes:

|> >>'blanker' displays a WHITE screen with a moving black X on it |||
|> >Only static (unchanging) displays burn in  the screen as the same pixels
|> >would always be on. A moving display uses different pixels and only a small
|> >number normally, thus the image is not `burned' into the screen.
|>
|> No, the 'burn' is cause by bombardment of phosphors by electrons.  This is
|> what makes them illuminate, but it is also what causes them to burn.
|> Over time, any crt's phosphors will burn in this fashion, unless the
|> filament (yes, it's a fire bottle) dies first.
|>
|> Although motion in the video reduces the average number of electrons that
|> strike any given phosphor point, it is the absolute number of bombardments
|> that matter.  Motion of the picture content, therefore, does not prevent
|> phosphor burns, it merely postpones it.

For people using X windows on their Intel 386 based machines (MCA, ISA, EISA)
there is no reason why you have to suffer the white background.  Just put in
xsetroot -solid {NavyBlue, DarkGreen, Black ...... } in your .xsession or .xinitrc
files you should be fine.  There are other ways too as there are so many ways to
customize the appearance of X windows.  Try it.  If it fails, it's IBM's fault and
then it's time to man -k - :-(.

BTW, at large multiple platform site like us, (Academic Information Resources)
we always leave our workstations, with their expansive  SONY Trinitron (R)
monitors ON 365 days a years.  No off.  (You need to replace them every few years
anyway, like four or so.  Therefore leaving it on or off, burn in or not, does
not really matter that much I guess.  We do try to make screen blank when it's
not used however, and we have screen blanckers for our SUN SPARCs, IBM RISC 6000s
and DEC 3100s.)

Regards,

Chin Fang
AIR,
Stanford University
fangchin@lelend.stanford.edu

mstr@vipunen.hut.fi (Markus Strand) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.154552.14096@infonode.ingr.com> hychejw@infonode.ingr.com (Jeff W. Hyche) writes:
>	Leaving the computer on will not harm it.  In fact it is better
>for it in the long run.  Turning it off and own will speed up thermal
>wear on the system and cause falure to componets due to heat.

It is not that simple. The harddrive will not last long, if you run
it all the time. It depends on the drive for how long pauses you
should turn your computer off. Also external peaks in the power,
like ightnings are a threat to the computer.

>being turned off.  I have been running my Amiga for over two months now
>with out turning it off with know problems and the unix box I run here
>at work has not been turned off in over a year and a half with no
>problems.

There is a difference with a Amiga and a unix box. You can simply turn
your Amiga off and power it up next time you need it. But the unix
machine you have to run down in order to sync disks and stop all
prosesses. A unix that has simply been shut down might need some
help when booting if the disks are messed up.

I have and will in the future not run my computers 24h if
there is nothing going on in the CPU.

Markus Strand
mstr@vipunen.hut.fi

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun7.163234.3445@val.com> ben@val.com (Ben Thornton) writes:
>No, the 'burn' is cause by bombardment of phosphors by electrons.  This is
>what makes them illuminate, but it is also what causes them to burn.
>Over time, any crt's phosphors will burn in this fashion, unless the
>filament (yes, it's a fire bottle) dies first.
>
>Although motion in the video reduces the average number of electrons that
>strike any given phosphor point, it is the absolute number of bombardments
>that matter.  Motion of the picture content, therefore, does not prevent
>phosphor burns, it merely postpones it.
>
>--
>Ben Thornton             packet:  wd5hls@wd5hls.ampr.org

        What might be better to say is that instead of burning a pattern
into the screen, IT BURNS THE WHOLE D**N THING! :)  I _LOVE_ IBM, really.

--
 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000 UUCPv1.13D.
 clemon@lemsys.UUCP lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca | Please Mail any binaries

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun7.202123.2051@athenanet.com> kabra437@athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) writes:
>[...]
>Anyway, the general consensus of people that seem (to me) to have a
>good head on their shoulders is something in the 4 to 8 hour range.
>Like your light bulb rule then: If you are sure that you will need the
>computer again within the next 4-8 hours, leave it on, otherwise turn
>it off.  In a business environment, this translates to On at 8, Off at 5.

Unless you're running a UNIX system which does your file transfers during
the wee hours of the morn, or you're running 72-hours-long Amiga raytracing,
or or or ...

Seriously, I recall that Stanford University's LOTS (Low Overhead Timesharing
System (for students)) Facility ran some tests about 10 years ago during which
half the terminals were turned off each night and the other half were left on
24 hrs/day.   The terminals that were on continously required fewer service
calls.

My own experiences bear this out.  ALL my computers (Amigas, 3B1's, Suns,
MightyFrames, etc (at home) and various systems at the office) are on 24 hrs/
day for years with no problems.  By avoiding thermal shock and current surges
(by leaving them on) they last and last and last.  To be fair, all of them are
also protected by surge/transient suppressorss and most by UPS systems, and all
monitors have 10-30 minute blanking intervals.  And I'm still using monitors
purchased before 1980.

Volt-Amp measurements (made by me and by PGE (the local utility)) show the
average power consumption of my (home) systems to be around 30W which, given
the rate structures vs. repair costs, is quite cost-effective.  I figure it
costs me $20-$25/month to keep my computers and modems on all the time (which
is only 10% of my monthly PGE bill).  And the computers keep the house nice and
warm during the cold winter months and cool summer evenings in this area! :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

taak9@isuvax.iastate.edu (Steve Sheldon) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun8.081224.19511@nntp.hut.fi>, mstr@vipunen.hut.fi (Markus Strand) writes:
>In article <1991Jun7.154552.14096@infonode.ingr.com> hychejw@infonode.ingr.com (Jeff W. Hyche) writes:
>>	Leaving the computer on will not harm it.  In fact it is better
>>for it in the long run.  Turning it off and own will speed up thermal
>>wear on the system and cause falure to componets due to heat.
>
>It is not that simple. The harddrive will not last long, if you run
>it all the time. It depends on the drive for how long pauses you
>should turn your computer off. Also external peaks in the power,
>like ightnings are a threat to the computer.

  This discussion is really going nowhere.  Interestingly I saw the
same thing discussed in rec.audio just last month.

  My feeling is that there are lots of things that can happen when
you're away, and you're equipment is on.

  In Rec.Audio someone talked about a power amplifier they had left
on.  Some transistors shorted(or something) which sent a very large
power spike to the speakers, which preceded to start on fire.  Fortunately,
he only lost the amp and the speakers.

  Someone I know was running a BBS, when the fan in his harddrive box
died.  It was over a weekend, and he hadn't checked up on his machine for
about 3 days.  The harddrive overheated, and he basically burned out a very
nice 250 Meg Quantum.

  I suppose the important thing to remember, is not to leave stuff on
unattended, or at least have some sort of protection device.

Steve Sheldon               /// | Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum!
taak9@ccvax.iastate.edu    ///  |
Senior, Computer Science \XX/   | Non erravi perniciose!

ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr k.l. lentin) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun8.081224.19511@nntp.hut.fi> mstr@vipunen.hut.fi (Markus Strand) writes:
>I have and will in the future not run my computers 24h if
>there is nothing going on in the CPU.

I agree with you except the whole reason I sparked off this discussion was
that I have an ST251 and it won't start once it stops unless I remove it from
the machine and jiggle it around a lot (30 minutes work!) So leaving it on is
the answer to my problems. I don't enjoy doing it mainly for electricity
reasons (its my dads cheque book thats getting thin) but I turn my monitor off
when not in use.

--
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
|\evin (ins845b@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au)  | All reasonable offers accepted
-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun8.081224.19511@nntp.hut.fi> mstr@vipunen.hut.fi (Markus Strand) writes:
>[...]
>It is not that simple. The harddrive will not last long, if you run
>it all the time. It depends on the drive for how long pauses you
>should turn your computer off. Also external peaks in the power,
>like ightnings are a threat to the computer.

From many talks with Hard Drive Repair and Data Recovery Services around the
country, the two WORST times for a hard drive are power-up and power-down due
to non-optimal platter rotation and head movement to/from "park."

Power glitches ARE a problem for both hard and floppy drives.  As I've related
many times here in the past, I used to get trashed floppies several times a
week due to incidents like turning flourescent lamps on/off, refrigerator motor
kicking in, operating drill motor(s) in my garage, and even turning modems on
or off.  Use of transient and surge suppressors TOTALLY eliminated ALL those
problems (but you have to use properly-designed ones; mine are mfd by GTE).

Operating the systems on UPS/SPS doesn't hurt, either!  :-)

>[...]
>There is a difference with a Amiga and a unix box. You can simply turn
>your Amiga off and power it up next time you need it. But the unix
>machine you have to run down in order to sync disks and stop all
>prosesses. A unix that has simply been shut down might need some
>help when booting if the disks are messed up.

Let's put an emphasis on that "might."  Modern UNIX systems don't seem to
have the power-going-down-NOW filesystem problem of days yore.

>[...]
>I have and will in the future not run my computers 24h if
>there is nothing going on in the CPU.
>[...]

I'm surprised to read that.  In my opinion, if your computer is not instantly
available to serve you, then you are a slave to your computer.

Because I consider my computers as "tools", I keep them running constantly
so that *I* need NOT wait to take notes during a phone call, or check out a
piece of code, or search some database, or enter financial transactions, or
anything else for which *I* use computers.  If I had to wait for bootup then
I've been inconvenienced and the potential of the computer as an appliance has
been diminished.

As said by someone else: "A luxury, once sampled, becomes a neccessity".   I
consider the immediate availability of a computer as essential as a telephone,
a FAX, indoor plumbing, the power grid, air, etc. all of which are available
all the time (essentially).

In just over two months from now, my first Amigas will have been operated
CONTINUOUSLY for 6 years (with only minor power service interruptions and
the occasional power-down to clean the insides).  And this is in an area
where the PGE power pole flanking my back yard has a habit of spontaneously
bursting into flame every few months and sparks & etc. flicker up and down
the pole; whoever said wood doesn't conduct electricity hasn't seen that
power pole!  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.034754.12713@news.iastate.edu> taak9@isuvax.iastate.edu (Steve Sheldon) writes:
>  Someone I know was running a BBS, when the fan in his harddrive box
>died.  It was over a weekend, and he hadn't checked up on his machine for
>about 3 days.  The harddrive overheated, and he basically burned out a very
>nice 250 Meg Quantum.

        Not supporting either opinion yet but, the Amiga (2000) has a current
sensor in the fan circuit.  I know that when the fan is an open circuit (ie
burned out) the power supply will not power up (or will power down).  I
_think_ that there may be an overcurrent safety (ie, jamming, seizing) that
will also cut power.  Can a CBM designer confirm?

--

elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) (06/14/91)

From article <1991Jun12.034754.12713@news.iastate.edu>, by taak9@isuvax.iastate.edu (Steve Sheldon):
> In article <1991Jun8.081224.19511@nntp.hut.fi>, mstr@vipunen.hut.fi (Markus Strand) writes:
>>In article <1991Jun7.154552.14096@infonode.ingr.com> hychejw@infonode.ingr.com (Jeff W. Hyche) writes:
>>>     Leaving the computer on will not harm it.  In fact it is better
>>>for it in the long run.  Turning it off and own will speed up thermal
>>>wear on the system and cause falure to componets due to heat.
>>
>>It is not that simple. The harddrive will not last long, if you run
>>it all the time.

Excuse me, but even the cheapest hard drives have a 40,000 hour MTBF
now. That means that basically you can run it 24 hours a day for four
years without any problem. Also, the stress of startup is very
strenuous for a hard drive. Too many on-off cycles can render it
incapable of starting up, especially for brands prone to sticktion,
such as SeaCrate.

>   My feeling is that there are lots of things that can happen when
> you're away, and you're equipment is on.

True... whenever I'm going away I turn my equipment off. Whenever there's
a lightning storm in the area I turn the equipment off. No big deal.
Otherwise, I just turn off the monitor. I'm paranoid about that cheap
Seacrate hard drive of mine, the last one fried at startup, so I want to
shut it down as few times as possible.

--
Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg

pest@konech.UUCP (Wolfgang Pest) (06/26/91)

In article <00676835233@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM>, elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) writes:

> True... whenever I'm going away I turn my equipment off. Whenever there's
> a lightning storm in the area I turn the equipment off. No big deal.
> Otherwise, I just turn off the monitor. I'm paranoid about that cheap
> Seacrate hard drive of mine, the last one fried at startup, so I want to
> shut it down as few times as possible.

Have you ever heard of saving energy ? Try to bring up the energy which is
necessary to supply your computer equipment by driving a home trainer!
About 100 Watts is what you can afford for a short time. This gives you a
better feeling what energy is worth than paying the power bill.

Remember: consuming current means polluting the air or creating radioactive
waste.

Wolfgang Pest    KONTRON Elektronik, Breslauer Str. 2, D-8057 Eching, Germany
mcsun!unido!konech!pest