[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] VGA Monitor for A3000 -- Possible? Worth it?

kal@cbnewsj.att.com (kevin.lyons) (06/21/91)

Hi, folks.  This is a basic hardware question.

I've got an Amiga 3000 and I'm currently using an old 1084
monitor with it.  I'd like to get a better display (sharper,
more lines of text) but money is a major factor -- a multi-
scan is out of the question.

Would a standard VGA monitor provide a better display than
the 1084?  Do I have to worry about anything more than the
scan rate and the cable/connector wiring?

Thanks,
Kevin

In article <1991Jun20.215916.24831@cbnewsj.att.com> kal@cbnewsj.att.com (kevin.lyons) writes:

>Would a standard VGA monitor provide a better display than
>the 1084?

Yes, assuming it's one of decent quality (eg, better dot pitch, etc.).

>Do I have to worry about anything more than the scan rate and the
>cable/connector wiring?

The A3000's "31kHz" video port uses the standard 15 pin VGA plug, so I doubt
cabling is a problem unless you're dealing with the 9 pin multiscan style
cable.  Converters are readily available for these.  In any case, you can use
the A3000 on a VGA monitor, with some qualifications.  You need to leave the
scan converter switch in the "on" position, so that any non-31kHz video modes
get converted appropriately.  Which brings up the 1280xN modes, which are all
15kHz modes with 35ns pixels.  The scan converter will convert these, but it
doesn't know about 35ns pixels, so those modes won't look proper on your VGA
display (they won't flicker, but you'll lose every other pixel).  And there's
the possibility of a 640x960 "VGA-interlaced" mode, which works on some of the
multiscan monitors, but probably not on your typical VGA monitor.  That one
does, in fact, flicker.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.