[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 16mhz A3000 and 040 vs. 25 mhz A3000 and 040 question

gibsonm@milton.u.washington.edu (Michael Gibson) (06/26/91)

I have a question..... what are the differences between the 16 Mhz A3000
and the 25 Mhz A3000?

also, more importantly, A friend of mine told me that a 16 Mhz A3000
equipped with one of these upcoming 68040 accelerators would run just
as fast as a 25 Mhz A3000 equipped with the same accelerator, despite the
difference in clock speeds. Is this true? Will the 040 board replace all
of the previous processors functions, including clock speed? I ask this
because the 16 Mhz model is cheaper, and I am planning on getting an 040
board anyway.

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I'm new to the net.

Thanks.                          Michael Gibson

                                 gibsonm@milton.u.washington.edu

metahawk@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.084759.3283@milton.u.washington.edu> gibsonm@milton.u.washington.edu (Michael Gibson) writes:

>I have a question..... what are the differences between the 16 Mhz A3000
>and the 25 Mhz A3000?

The A3000-16 has a 68030 & 68881 running at 16 MHz.
The A3000-25 has a 68030 & 68882 running at 25 MHz.
These are the major differences.

>also, more importantly, A friend of mine told me that a 16 Mhz A3000
>equipped with one of these upcoming 68040 accelerators would run just
>as fast as a 25 Mhz A3000 equipped with the same accelerator, despite the
>difference in clock speeds. Is this true? Will the 040 board replace all
>of the previous processors functions, including clock speed? I ask this
>because the 16 Mhz model is cheaper, and I am planning on getting an 040
>board anyway.

An A3000-16 can have its bus running at either 16 MHz or 25 MHz.  There is
suppose to be a jumper somewhere to switch the bus from timing off of the
16 MHz crystal to a 25MHz crystal on an external board (I think this is how
it works).  So you can add a 25 MHz 68040 board and have the Amiga run just
as fast as an A3000-25 with an '040-25 in it.  Of course, in the distant
future.  Commodore might possibly come out with a version of the OS that
could run on multiple CPU's, in which case the A3000-25 with an '040-25
would run faster than an A3000-16 w/'040-25 (the '030/'882 has to be
disabled in the 16 MHz version).  I just finished taking a course on
Operating Systems and Concurrent & Distributed Programming, which goes
into multiple processor OS's.  Creating one is definitely not trivial, and
I wouldn't expect one for about 2 years, if C= started working on one.

So, effectively, if you are planning on upgrading to an '040, the
A3000-16 would run just as fast as an A3000-25 similarly equipped.

>I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I'm new to the net.
>

>Thanks.                          Michael Gibson
>
>                                 gibsonm@milton.u.washington.edu

"Hello?  Is there anybody in there?      Wayne Rigby
"Just nod if you can hear me."           Computer and Systems Engineer
          - Pink Floyd                   (A delightful blend of EE and CS)
                                         Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
     Yes, C-128's still live!            metahawk@rpi.edu