[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] About to Power Up: Give 'em the money first?

mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) (06/25/91)

Just as a sanity check... I'm about to "Power Up" from my Amiga 1000
to an Amiga 3000-25/50 and the dealer wants all the money up front,
even though he estimates that I won't receive the machine until mid
July.

Is this standard?  If Commodore requires him to send the money in with
the order, then I understand.  Even if they don't, he incurs some risk
that I might not take delivery (for the sake of discussion, I have no
such intention), but in such a case perhaps Commodore would then allow
him to return the machine, reducing his risk (and increasing
Commodore's).

Also, is this delivery time realistic?  What's the current backlog?

Please respond via email, as I must get him a check ASAP.  I'll
summarize if interest dictates.

"What, no extension on the Power Up Deal?" - quote heard in a dream.
--

					- Scott
M. Scott Wills,  Mail Stop: 102-4844     INTERNET: mwills@x102a.ess.harris.com

rkushner@sycom.UUCP (Ronald Kushner) (06/25/91)

mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) writes:
>Just as a sanity check... I'm about to "Power Up" from my Amiga 1000
>to an Amiga 3000-25/50 and the dealer wants all the money up front,
>even though he estimates that I won't receive the machine until mid
>July.

Screw that...Call 1-800-66-AMIGA and find another dealer in your area...You
would be surprised, there were more local dealers than I knew about...(I only
knew about 2, and found out there is 6 or 7...)

I wouldn't give anyone more than a $300 deposit on a $2300 machine...

-- C-UseNet V0.42e
 Ronald Kushner                          Life in Hell BBS  +1 (313) 939-6666
 P.O. Box 353                               14400 USR HST V.42 & V.42bis
 Sterling Heights, MI  48311-0353              Complete Amiga Support
 UUCP: uunet!umich!vela!sycom!rkushner     (We are not satanic, just NUTS!)
       Whats wrong with Detroit?  Name it, we got it, and if we don't
                               WE'LL TAKE IT!

cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Todd Masco) (06/25/91)

In article <6601@trantor.harris-atd.com> mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) writes:
>Just as a sanity check... I'm about to "Power Up" from my Amiga 1000
>to an Amiga 3000-25/50 and the dealer wants all the money up front,
>even though he estimates that I won't receive the machine until mid
>July.
>
>Is this standard?  If Commodore requires him to send the money in with
>the order, then I understand.  Even if they don't, he incurs some risk
>that I might not take delivery (for the sake of discussion, I have no
>such intention), but in such a case perhaps Commodore would then allow
>him to return the machine, reducing his risk (and increasing
>Commodore's).

One datapoint:  I had to wait two weeks for mine, but was told that
this was because I was 2nd on the list.

See, the dealer has to process 1 A3000, wait for CBM to send another
machine, and so forth...  My dealer said that at the rate things were
going, she wouldn't be done with the deal until August.

On the other hand, I paid for it when I got it -- the way it worked
was that CBM sent one machine, she sold it, and requested another
machine.  Repeat as necessary.  It sounds like either your dealer is
pulling a fast one or CBM has changed how things work (which *is*
possible -- there was a meeting of CBM execs a couple days after I got
mine, I'm told to discuss distribution problems).  It's also possible
that an up-front payment is required for anything past Jun 30.

I'd call CBM and verify with them.  I'd suspect that they can pull his
plug if he's out of line.
--
Todd L. Masco - CMU Physics   | "Free speech is the right to shout
cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu |   'theatre' in a crowded fire."

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun25.031909.14267@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu> cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Todd Masco) writes:
>In article <6601@trantor.harris-atd.com> mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) writes:
>>Just as a sanity check... I'm about to "Power Up" from my Amiga 1000
>>to an Amiga 3000-25/50 and the dealer wants all the money up front,
>>even though he estimates that I won't receive the machine until mid
>>July.

[...]
>See, the dealer has to process 1 A3000, wait for CBM to send another
>machine, and so forth...  My dealer said that at the rate things were
>going, she wouldn't be done with the deal until August.

This was the case when I ordered mine about a month ago. I didn't pay
the full amount since the dealer estimated it would take two months at
the time I ordered it.

However, about one or two weeks ago, C= apparently heeded the cries of
the dealers, and started allowing them to place as many Power-up orders
as they needed. Mine was prompty ordered from C=. Hope it gets here
pretty soon :^)

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (06/25/91)

In article <6601@trantor.harris-atd.com>, mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) writes:
> Just as a sanity check... I'm about to "Power Up" from my Amiga 1000
> to an Amiga 3000-25/50 and the dealer wants all the money up front,
> even though he estimates that I won't receive the machine until mid
> July.

It is common.   In order for the dealer to participate in the PowerUp
program the dealer agrees to buy the equipment at regular price and on
the next purchase the credit is granted to the dealer.  The reason is
the best I can figure is to keep dealers from ordering 100 machines for
this promotion at the reduced price and then stock-balancing them out
if they don't sell.  This way, every machine ordered is sold.

The backlog only exists for the 25/50, not the rest of the line.  The
problem appears to be the 50 megabyte Quantum drive.  MicroPace does
not even have them.  The backlog should end however as Commodore says
they are expecting to have the machines in their warehouse today
(Tuesday).

Most Amiga dealerships can't afford to buy these machines at full
price and can't risk not being able to recoup their money.

> Also, is this delivery time realistic?  What's the current backlog?

Yes, in the case of the 25/50 it is.

> Please respond via email, as I must get him a check ASAP.  I'll
> summarize if interest dictates.

I posted in public because this is a question that many people will
want the answer too.

> "What, no extension on the Power Up Deal?" - quote heard in a dream.
> --
>
> 					- Scott
> M. Scott Wills,  Mail Stop: 102-4844     INTERNET: mwills@x102a.ess.harris.com
> Harris Corporation                       UUCP:     uunet!x102a!mwills
> Government Aerospace Systems Division    CCMail:   harris.mwills01
> P.O. Box 94000                           FAX:	   407-729-3211
> Melbourne, Florida 32902                 Voice:    407-729-3283

-mark=
manes@vger.nsu.edu

kjb@calmasd.Prime.COM (Ken Brucker) (06/26/91)

In article <6601@trantor.harris-atd.com> mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) writes:
>Just as a sanity check... I'm about to "Power Up" from my Amiga 1000
>to an Amiga 3000-25/50 and the dealer wants all the money up front,
>even though he estimates that I won't receive the machine until mid
>July.

Don't do it!  I learned the hard way on this when I went to by an Apple //e
back in 82.  Turned out to be a disaster.

The dealer had a "great deal" on Apples but was out of stock.  They would get
one for me if I left them the entire cost and would deliver in 4 weeks.  Being
the young innocent youth that I was, I left them with something like $1200 or
$1500.  And I wasn't alone in this.  Several of my friends were taking
advantage (ha!) of this deal as were many other customers.

About 3 weeks later we learned that the company had filed Chapter 11.  A stop
by their store revealed a padlocked door and a virtually empty interior.
Talk about a scam!  Fortunately Apple Co. bailed us out and allowed us to
purchase an equivelant system directly from them for the difference between
the dealer price and the standard retail.  To provide Apple with incentive
we had to sign over half of any settlements that we may receive from the
dealer in the Chapter 11 proceedings.  I did get my system, at full list price,
about 6 months after the whole thing started.  Then about another 4 to 6 months
later I got a check for around $80. from Apple, my part of the final settlement
with the dealer.

Would I give a merchant full purchase price with delivery to come later?  Not
anymore.  I'd work some other deal, and if they aren't willing to bargain or
will take only check or cash then be very suspicious!  If you can charge it
then at least you can have the charge removed from you card if no merchandise
is delivered.

Ken
--
** Ken Brucker -- VMS Systems Programmer/Mangler -- ComputerVision
** kjb@calmasd.Prime.COM

amiga@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (ftp Amiga Manager) (06/26/91)

I don't know what Commodore requires, but my dealer wanted the cash up front
too.  Delivery by mid-July sounds pretty good to me.  I've been waiting over
six weeks now.  Grrrr...   >:(

--
  // uhunix amiga archive | amiga@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu | ftp: ftp.hawaii.edu
\X/  "just another peon"  | baron@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu |      128.171.7.7

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.031909.14267@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu> cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Todd Masco) writes:
>One datapoint:  I had to wait two weeks for mine, but was told that
>this was because I was 2nd on the list.
>
>See, the dealer has to process 1 A3000, wait for CBM to send another
>machine, and so forth...  My dealer said that at the rate things were
>going, she wouldn't be done with the deal until August.

Sounds like bullshit to me.   The crummy dealer I go to (only
shop in town) had a half-dozen A3000s (all power-up, he claimed)
show up at once, 4 were still there an hour later when I went to
pick up mine.

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Skate UNIX! (curb fault: skater dumped)

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.031909.14267@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu>, Todd Masco writes:

> In article <6601@trantor.harris-atd.com> mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) writes:
> >Just as a sanity check... I'm about to "Power Up" from my Amiga 1000
> >to an Amiga 3000-25/50 and the dealer wants all the money up front,
> >even though he estimates that I won't receive the machine until mid
> >July.
> >
> On the other hand, I paid for it when I got it -- the way it worked
> was that CBM sent one machine, she sold it, and requested another
> machine.  Repeat as necessary.  It sounds like either your dealer is
> pulling a fast one or CBM has changed how things work (which *is*
> possible -- there was a meeting of CBM execs a couple days after I got
> mine, I'm told to discuss distribution problems).  It's also possible
> that an up-front payment is required for anything past Jun 30.

    I think your are running into dealers with limited cash flow (a common
problem for anyone, especially Amiga dealers).  A dealer can purchase as
many A3000's under PowerUp pricing as they like, in advance.  Then if they
sell fewer (under power-up) they have to keep the extra units and pay the
difference between their normal pricing and the PowerUp pricing.  So a
dealer with a good cash flow, can deliever your unit the day you walk into
the store with your manual cover.  Dealers who can't afford to stock many
units probably order as they go, and may need some of the money upfront
either to pay for the order or as a security against you backing out.
    After June 30, it gets even more interesting since dealers are allowed
to sell PowerUp deals all the way through July, but must have ordered all
their PowerUp units by June 30.  So dealers without much money/credit will
not be offering PowerUp deals very far into July, while dealers that afford
to order extra untils may be setting PowerUp system all the way through
the end of July.

-Jason-

-Jason-

Jason Goldberg				UUCP: ucsd!serene!cbmami!jason
Del Mar, CA

mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) (06/27/91)

mwills@x102a.ess.harris.com (wills ms 01309) writes:

>Just as a sanity check... I'm about to "Power Up" from my Amiga 1000
>to an Amiga 3000-25/50 and the dealer wants all the money up front,
>even though he estimates that I won't receive the machine until mid
>July.  [...]  Also, is this delivery time realistic?  What's the
>current backlog?

Thanks to all who responded.  Here is what the ten responders said:

 Down Payment  Non-Refundable  Delivery
 Required      Portion         Time
   100%          -               1 month
   $500          $25             -
   $500          $25             -
   $300          -               *
   $200          -               -
   $0            $0              > 1 month
   $0            $0              2 weeks
   $0            $0              4 days
   -             -               > 1 month
   -             -               *

Legend:
-  = not specified
*  = not clear that a machine was purchased, may be an observation from
     shopping around.

I'm glad to hear this.  I've found another dealer here in town who
says he "usually asks for 10% down" and estimates delivery at 1 to 3
weeks.  I also got a call from a Commodore technical representative
who said he would check into it and get back to me.  I haven't heard
back from them, but it leaves a very good impression when they take
the initiative.  I hope they close the loop.