[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] the parrallel port

NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.BITNET (06/25/91)

In my A500 introduction manual it says that I can use 100 mA of the
Parrallel Port 5V line (pin 14). Unfortunately that seems not to be true:
It looks like it is 5V over a 100 Ohm resister: if I draw about 20 mA, the
voltage drops down to about 3V.
(Or am I overabusing my power supply?)

Thanks, Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.bitnet)

prak2@pttrnl.nl (06/27/91)

In article <B92671994000426C@FANDM>, NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.BITNET writes:
> In my A500 introduction manual it says that I can use 100 mA of the
> Parrallel Port 5V line (pin 14). Unfortunately that seems not to be true:
> It looks like it is 5V over a 100 Ohm resister: if I draw about 20 mA, the
> voltage drops down to about 3V.
> (Or am I overabusing my power supply?)
>
> Thanks, Nils Gokemeijer (NJ_GOKEMEIJE@FANDM.bitnet)

All power-outputs on the parallel/serial ports have this problem.
They do have a resistor in their lines. This is done to protect your Amiga
from being short-circuited by IBM-cables.
This feature is present on the A500 and A2000 (i guess for the A300 too,
but i'm not sure).
The A1000 does not have this problem because of it's non-IBM connectors
for the parallel and serial ports.

You can solve this problem (if you want too), by by-passing the resistor. The
schematics can be found in your user manual.
You will void your warranty if you do this.

jan.

manfred@edomdo.UUCP (Manfred Dolag) (06/28/91)

--
there is a emi-filter between pin 14 and internal +5volt. the drop may be
normal.

- - - -
Manfred Dolag, Edotronik GmbH (ECG018), Tel. +49 89 404093, FAX +49 89 402293