[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Janus Software Version && BB Problems

ftegerer@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Frohwalt Egerer) (06/26/91)

Could someone tell me if my Janus Software is up-to-date?

When I reboot the AT it displays the following stuff under the BIOS-box:

Janus-Handler 2.63
Janus Library 33.1

I suspect I got some strange sort of software, as I think the highest Janus
version is 2.0. (Do I have a 1.63 that was patched by some $#@!&* ?) The
software I have leaves 'dead' Intuition-screens, after you quit the
PCColor (PCMono) Program. (Yes - the window closes)

Besides that thing there are many other Problems with the board, it often
doesn`t configure when BindDrivers is executed, sometimes it has a
Parity Error and someetimes it doesn't load the Janus Software from
the Amiga side. (Just behaves like a normal AT without any Disk mounted
to it)

My Hardware configuration:

ALFII HD Controller
Supra RAM Board (6 Meg)
Amiga 2000 Rev 4
ECS
AmigaOS 1.3 and 2.0  (The board works _slightly_ better under 2.0)

Another thing:

Today I got an A2630 Turbo Board with 2 Megs RAM - now I got 8 Megs RAM
plus the BridgeBoard. The result: out of autoconfig space.
Now the question:
Is there any way to make the BridgeBoard autoconfig to some other area?
I got SO MUCH of free address space, and the BB configs to the area
where the mem expansions belong!

--

Don't panic!                   \\|||//         Frohwalt Egerer   Am Faerberhof 6
----------------------------------U------------------------------09131/204791---

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (06/27/91)

In article <ftegerer.677877023@faui09> ftegerer@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Frohwalt Egerer) writes:
>Could someone tell me if my Janus Software is up-to-date?
>
>When I reboot the AT it displays the following stuff under the BIOS-box:
>
>Janus-Handler 2.63
>Janus Library 33.1
>
>I suspect I got some strange sort of software, as I think the highest Janus
>version is 2.0. (Do I have a 1.63 that was patched by some $#@!&* ?) The
>software I have leaves 'dead' Intuition-screens, after you quit the
>PCColor (PCMono) Program. (Yes - the window closes)

        You are probably running qmouse right?  On my machine, qmouse
creates these hanging screens.  I use XOper to close them.

>Besides that thing there are many other Problems with the board, it often
>doesn`t configure when BindDrivers is executed, sometimes it has a
>Parity Error and someetimes it doesn't load the Janus Software from
>the Amiga side. (Just behaves like a normal AT without any Disk mounted
>to it)

        This sounds like the problems I'm having too.  Everyone says it's
seating but it's more than that for me.  I'll spend two days straight
reseating chips and wiggling and re-inserting my A2088 going through
various states of operation.  Sometimes it makes binddrivers wait, goes
BEEEEEP-BEEP-BEEP and continues and gives garbled screen on execution of
the PCWindow.  Sometimes it immediatly goes BEEEEEEP-BEEP-BEEP and garbles.
 Sometimes it locks the whole machine.  Sometime it won't even let the
hardware finish diagnostics, thrashes the floppy drives and the machine
won't even load Kickstart (B2000 REV 4.2 KS 1.2).  Right now I ripped the
stupid thing out.  I don't need a stupid XT BB screwing up the rest of my
computer.  (Expensive Ami stuff)

--
 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000 UUCPv1.13D.
 clemon@lemsys.UUCP lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca | Please Mail any binaries

burkert1@platon.fmi.uni-passau.de (Klaus Burkert) (06/28/91)

In article <clemon.4994@lemsys.UUCP> clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) writes:
>In article <ftegerer.677877023@faui09> ftegerer@faui09.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Frohwalt Egerer) writes:
>>Besides that thing there are many other Problems with the board, it often
>>doesn`t configure when BindDrivers is executed, sometimes it has a
>>Parity Error and someetimes it doesn't load the Janus Software from
>>the Amiga side. (Just behaves like a normal AT without any Disk mounted
>>to it)
>
>        This sounds like the problems I'm having too.  Everyone says it's
>seating but it's more than that for me.  I'll spend two days straight
>reseating chips and wiggling and re-inserting my A2088 going through
>various states of operation.  Sometimes it makes binddrivers wait, goes
>BEEEEEP-BEEP-BEEP and continues and gives garbled screen on execution of
>the PCWindow.  Sometimes it immediatly goes BEEEEEEP-BEEP-BEEP and garbles.
> Sometimes it locks the whole machine.  Sometime it won't even let the
>hardware finish diagnostics, thrashes the floppy drives and the machine
>won't even load Kickstart (B2000 REV 4.2 KS 1.2).  Right now I ripped the
>stupid thing out.  I don't need a stupid XT BB screwing up the rest of my
>computer.  (Expensive Ami stuff)

Ah, now I've got it! Sounds like a real Hardware problem!
This must be either a defective ABT, DBT or Dual-Ported RAM!
ABT and DBT are the two 86-Pin-PLCC-Chips near the Zorro-Connector.
The dual-Ported RAM-chips are the 4 parts at the board's left end.
They are named 4464 or 41464.
Try to exchange them, or better try swapping ABT and DBT with a friends board
first, since they are socketed.

I hope this helps, Klaus.

Klaus Burkert        email: burkert1@platon.fmi.uni-passau.de
Brandweg 11          voice: +49-851/83993
D-W-8390 Passau   /  Federal Republic of Germany