[net.space] SPACE Digest V6 #19

bilbo.niket@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU ("Niket K. Patwardhan") (11/15/85)

I don't know why causality should be linked to pure forward motion in time.
(Ie why cant something that happens in the future cause something in the past?)
If you really want to preserve the transitivity of causality, all you need is
that space-time have some kind of directionality, ie you can go from point A
to point B but not from B to A. You can also make time travel possible as a
notion if you eliminate the idea of free will (ie if I travelled back in time,
something would prevent me from killing my father before I was conceived, even
if I had all the means to do so!)

In article <8511142311.AA02684@s1-b.arpa> bilbo.niket@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU ("Niket K. Patwardhan") writes:

>I don't know why causality should be linked to pure forward motion in time.
>(Ie why cant something that happens in the future cause something in the
>past?)  If you really want to preserve the transitivity of causality, all you
>need is that space-time have some kind of directionality, ie you can go from
>point A to point B but not from B to A.

That directionality is called time.

>You can also make time travel possible as a
>notion if you eliminate the idea of free will (ie if I travelled back in time,
>something would prevent me from killing my father before I was conceived, even
>if I had all the means to do so!)

What something, pray tell?

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

josh@ism70.UUCP (11/22/85)

time travel is impossible because time is linked to velocity, and
by velocity we mean universal expansion and contraction, entropy,
something which we cannot alter or even cancel out to stop time.
the power to do that is infinte.