[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2.0 ROMs

cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Todd Masco) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.182626.11924@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> jdickson@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:
>	Well, maybe not this for you A3000 owners. I already posted a dis-
>claimer of this nature - didn't you bother to read it? And wakeup and smell
>the coffee. The amiga community does not revolve around the A3000! The A500,
>A1000, and A2000 have been around a lot longer and are a hell of lot cheaper!

Sigh.  I was the original poster of the message you replied to,
asking whether what the wins and losses to going to ROM, other than
the small memory gain.  My followup was a clarification of my
question, as I hadn't noticed the subject line before -- not a random
comment out of the blue -- I suppose you interpreted as some sort of
attack, though I don't know how.  I'm relatively new to the Amiga (I
had an A500 several months before "powering up") and was asking for
information *for me*, not looking for flames.  Pardon me that I happen
to have an A3000 and want to learn more about it.

Don't get so damned defensive, and think before you flame.

>	Oh yeah... It was my understanding that on A3000's (or system's equip-
>ped with an MMU), ROM was moved into 32 bit memory. If that's the case, then
>the following is unfounded.

Thank you.  That's answering part of my question, except that the
entire A3000, if I understand it properly, has a 32 bit address bus.

Does anybody else have any information on this?  The original question
was: "What are the wins and losses of not getting Kickstart 2.0 on
ROM?"   I later clarified, "for an A3000 owner with 6 megs and a
harddrive."
--
Todd L. Masco - CMU Physics   | "Free speech is the right to shout
cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu |   'theatre' in a crowded fire."

jpotter@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Jonathan Potter) (06/26/91)

>Does anybody else have any information on this?  The original question
>was: "What are the wins and losses of not getting Kickstart 2.0 on
>ROM?"   I later clarified, "for an A3000 owner with 6 megs and a
>harddrive."

The only advantages I can see to going to ROM are that you free up half a meg
of RAM and half a meg of hard drive space. The only disadvantage I can see
is that it makes it difficult to update to later versions.

Personally, I will be sticking with Kickstart on the hard drive even if
(when ? :-) the ROMs come out.

Another interesting thing (that I don't know if it has been mentioned) is
that 3000s do actually have an early (very early) version of 2.0 in ROM
already. Try deleting (or renaming) the kickfile on the hard drive and
cold booting.

Jon
--
| Jon Potter      |                              | I'd really like to      |
| P.O. Box 289    | jpotter@itd.adelaide.edu.au  |   change the world...   |

ptavoly@cs.ruu.nl (Peter Tavoly) (06/27/91)

In <3814@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> jpotter@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Jonathan Potter) writes:

>Another interesting thing (that I don't know if it has been mentioned) is
>that 3000s do actually have an early (very early) version of 2.0 in ROM
>already. Try deleting (or renaming) the kickfile on the hard drive and
>cold booting.

Yes, 36.16.. (on our 3000's at least)

 -Thomas.

This account expires on 01-Sep-91. No more VR, it's RL now! :)
---------------------------------------------------------------          ____
Thomas Tavoly, Commercial Computer Science, HEAO Utrecht, NL.           / / /
ptavoly@praxis.cs.ruu.nl - Thomas speaking!  .sig v3.3               AMIGA /
--------------------------------------------------------------- ____  / / /
 ICE - brain-blasting zombie-making voodoo electronics.         \ \ \/ / /
---------------------------------------------------------------  \_\_\/_/

fjrei@kbsaar.UUCP (Franz-Josef Reichert) (06/29/91)

In article <3814@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> jpotter@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Jonathan Potter) writes:
>[..]
>Another interesting thing (that I don't know if it has been mentioned) is
>that 3000s do actually have an early (very early) version of 2.0 in ROM
>already. Try deleting (or renaming) the kickfile on the hard drive and
>cold booting.

Don't rename your kickfile! Just click in the upper left corner of boot menu.

--
Best regards,
Franz-Josef Reichert      VOICE: +49 6805 7417