[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] HP DeskJet Guru Needed

tmb@davinci.acc.Virginia.EDU (Thomas M. Breeden) (06/28/91)

Just got an HP DeskJet 500...

   1) The text is beautiful, but I'm having a little trouble with
      graphics.

      Output from dpaint looks rough, more like 75dpi than 300dpi.
      I set the front switches to use 300dpi as default graphics
      resolution, but that didn't make any difference.

      Any guidelines on what I have to do to get the fine graphics?

   2) Is there any reason for me to go looking for a different
      DeskJet driver (from the one that came with AmigaOS v1.3)?

      I vaguely remember some talk of a Super DeskJet driver some
      time back; what could I get from something like that?

Thanks,

Tom Breeden
tmb@virginia.EDU

            - Tom Breeden
              tmb@virginia.EDU      -> Internet
              tmb@virginia          -> BITNET

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (06/28/91)

> Just got an HP DeskJet 500...
>
>    1) The text is beautiful, but I'm having a little trouble with
>       graphics.
>
>       Output from dpaint looks rough, more like 75dpi than 300dpi.
>       I set the front switches to use 300dpi as default graphics
>       resolution, but that didn't make any difference.
>
>       Any guidelines on what I have to do to get the fine graphics?
Did you set your Preferences to Density 4?

>    2) Is there any reason for me to go looking for a different
>       DeskJet driver (from the one that came with AmigaOS v1.3)?
                                YES!!!!!

>       I vaguely remember some talk of a Super DeskJet driver some
>       time back; what could I get from something like that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom Breeden
> tmb@virginia.EDU
>

>             - Tom Breeden
>               tmb@virginia.EDU      -> Internet
>               tmb@virginia          -> BITNET

The DJ_Helper program from Creative Focus (can't locate the address in my
typically messy room right now, but it's in the AMAZING guide) is $50 and
WORTH EVERY PENNY. It allows you to create your own greyscale values, to
print in negative at will, to get 66 lines/page (!!!), and much, much more.
It's a MUST for every Deskjet owner; trust me on this. Every DJ owner I have
recommended the DJ_Helper package to has thanked me for it...
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

oovvoo@mixcom.COM (Mike Shawaluk) (06/28/91)

In <1991Jun27.182135.7599@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> tmb@davinci.acc.Virginia.EDU (Thomas M. Breeden) writes:

>      Output from dpaint looks rough, more like 75dpi than 300dpi.
>      I set the front switches to use 300dpi as default graphics
>      resolution, but that didn't make any difference.

Well, you don't say what version of DPAINT you are using; I'll assume it's
either II or III.  In the Print... requestor, you can select either "%" or
"Dots"; you'll probably have better luck if you use "Dots", since this will
map screen pixels directly to printer pixels.  Also, if you want a fine
resolution picture, you either want to print it smaller, if it's black &
white, or else make sure it's in color/gray scale mode, in which you'll get
nice shades of gray that are in 300 DPI resolution.  For the former, manually
set the number of horizontal and vertical pixels to the image size, in the
DPAINT Print... requestor, in "Dots" mode, and give it a try.  Also, you might
want to make sure that Preferences is set to select the 300 DPI mode (gee, I
probably should have said this first).  Check in your Enhancer 1.3 book (you
_do_ have 1.3, right?)

>      I vaguely remember some talk of a Super DeskJet driver some
>      time back; what could I get from something like that?

The program in question is most likely DJHelper, from Creative Focus.  I
bought it, and it does indeed give you MUCH more control over how the DeskJet
behaves with many programs, including (for me) DeluxeMusic, which previously
insisted on doing page ejects after every staff.  It does lots of other stuff
I won't go into now, including mapping whatever fonts you like to Pica, Elite,
etc., and softfont management.  It's a good buy, IMHO.

  - Mike
--
  - Mike Shawaluk   "And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today ..."
  (oovvoo@mixcom.com)

johns@graphics.rent.com (John Silvia) (06/29/91)

> > Just got an HP DeskJet 500...
> >
> >    1) The text is beautiful, but I'm having a little trouble with
> >       graphics.
> >
> >       Output from dpaint looks rough, more like 75dpi than 300dpi.
> >       I set the front switches to use 300dpi as default graphics
> >       resolution, but that didn't make any difference.
> >
> >       Any guidelines on what I have to do to get the fine graphics?
> >
> >    2) Is there any reason for me to go looking for a different
> >       DeskJet driver (from the one that came with AmigaOS v1.3)?
> >
> >       I vaguely remember some talk of a Super DeskJet driver some
> >       time back; what could I get from something like that?

AmigaDOS 2.0 includes a fine driver for the Deskjet, and I have great
results with it.  At this point in time, though, I exclusively use
PageStream with it, since I don't like to just dump graphics, but I like
to include text with them.  Pagestream 1.8 and beyond provide laser quality
output on the Deskjet, and it does a much bet}r%rxDi]
better job of printing p~rictuxD~I{NZj
pictures than AmigaDOS ever will.

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"

Internet: johns@graphics.rent.com
    UUCP: rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!johns