[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Connecting the 1084 monitor to a VCR

robi@MD.HUJI.AC.IL (Dr. Robi Wartenfeld) (06/27/91)

     Hello,
  I want to connect my 1084 monitor to the video output of a standard VCR.
Anyone knows how it's done?
       Robi.

s8922967@ipc04.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Murray John GILBERT) (06/29/91)

In article <27JUN91112159@md.huji.ac.il> robi@md.huji.ac.il writes:

>     Hello,
>  I want to connect my 1084 monitor to the video output of a standard VCR.
>Anyone knows how it's done?
>       Robi.
G'day

pretty simple to do. First get one of those video dubbing kits (the ones with
a few assorted cables and adaptors) or a couple of cables with RCA/phono
connectors (one for video/one for sound) and a couple of adaptors for your
VCR end as appropriate (I required for mine a BNC to phono - BNC on the video,
phono for cable - for video, none for audio).

The back of your 1084 should (assuming it is the same as mine is) have some
ports on the back on the left (when you have the back facing you) that have
C, CVBS/L, and A. Assuming your vcr is not an S-video one, the connection on
the 1084 end for video is just to the CVBS socket, with the CVBS/LCA switch
set 'in' for CVBS (composite), if S-video you'll need to use bothe CVBS/L and
C sockets with the switch set 'out' for LCA, but that's all I know for Svideo.

On the VCR end for video end use video out with the appropriate adaptor in
between. For audio: if your VCR is mono, just stick the cable in the audio
out for the vcr (w/adaptor if needed) into the A socket. done. If VCR is
stereo then you'll need a Y cable/adaptor, and much the same. If 1084 is
a 1084S (stereo) then same as mono except two cables. But you don't really
want the 1084 for its sound - use your Hifi for that.

You may need to play with the 'VCR' switch on the back of your 1084 if the
picture goes funny (It did for me when I was watching a video that had been
transformmed from NTSC to PAL - the two fields from each frame sorta split
up and were flapping about like a sheet on the clothesline does in the wind)

Lastly, but most importantly, remember to have the switch at the front of
the monitor pushed in for 'CVBS' (composite) mode, not 'RGB' (computer).

If you happen to have a video with a SCART/Euroconnector and your version
of the 1084 has a port the same at the back (mine does for the Amiga
connection) then just get a SCART to SCART cable and that's that! Easy!

It's actually a lot simpler that the above might indicate, it just requires
a little fiddling. Hope you still have the little booklet that came with
your 1084 - it may be of use.

Good Luck!

Murray

Murray Gilbert    s8922967@mackay.mqcs.mq.oz.au