[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A1000 Toolbox info requested

coulth@beowulf.acc.stolaf.edu (06/26/91)

Can anybody tell me about the Expansion Technologies Toolbox for the A1000?
I assume it plugs into the expansion port on the right side of the machine.
Does it have a pass-through so that other hardware needing the expansion port can use it as well?  (I ask because I already have a TrumpCard 500 plugged
into my expansion port.)  Are there any known problems with using it or any
known compatibility problems?
Thanks in advance!

Nick Coult  - e-mail to coultn@carleton.edu
Nick Coult, Micro Computer Consultant
Carleton College
(507) 663-4907                          internet: coultn@carleton.edu
    //

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.164348.4121@news.stolaf.edu> coulth@beowulf.acc.stolaf.edu () writes:
>Can anybody tell me about the Expansion Technologies Toolbox for the A1000?
>I assume it plugs into the expansion port on the right side of the machine.
>Does it have a pass-through so that other hardware needing the expansion port can use it as well?  (I ask because I already have a TrumpCard 500 plugged
>into my expansion port.)  Are there any known problems with using it or any
>known compatibility problems?
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Nick Coult  - e-mail to coultn@carleton.edu
>Nick Coult, Micro Computer Consultant
>Carleton College
>(507) 663-4907                          internet: coultn@carleton.edu
>    //

	I purchased one of these hoping that it could accomodate my new
(at the time) GVP HC40Q hard disk and A2058 2 meg capacity memory board.
I was hoping to retrofit my A1000, but I couldn't get the two to work
together. Later, I tried a different hard disk, but it still wouldn't
work. A little while ago there was some talk here about the onboard power
supplies being too wimpy. That was probably it. I forget the actual specs
of the power supply, but I think it was 3 Amps at 5 volts and 1.5 Amps at
12 volts. Others suggested hooking your own power supply up. If you took
this route, it'd be cheaper to purchase the Toolbox without the power supply.
In summary, the Toolbox is not a good investment.

	Yes, the Toolbox connects to the expansion port on the right side
of the machine and provides a pass thru. But, given the fact the pass thru
is not buffered, I don't think you could successfully daisy chain Toolbox's
off of it. I also have a Microbotics 2 meg Starboard. At one time I tried to
hang this off of the Toolbox pass thru, but you guessed it - this didn't
work either! I was told at the store where I bought it, that not all boards
would work.

	These days I have an A2000 and it contains all of the above (2 hard
disks, A2058, and a Flicker-fixer) and it works dandy. If you're looking to
turn your A1000 into an A2000, better to get the real mccoy.

DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE IS BASED ON PURELY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND IN NO WAY
REFLECTS THE ATTITUDE OF MY EMPLOYER.

-jeff

bwana@dorsai.com (william cernansky) (06/30/91)

coulth@beowulf.acc.stolaf.edu:

You have a Trumpcard 500 plugged into your A1000 expansion port?  I didn't
know this could be done.  Are there any special instructions for doing this,
as I am extremely unhappy with my present hard drive (A Vault 33)?

Can other A500 expansion peripherals be attached via the A1000 port as well?

"bwana" Bill Cernansky
** REMEMBER: Never accept a check from a company called "VOID, Inc."
** You'll never be able to cash it.