[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] UNIX for Amiga?

rohwerwd@netcom.COM (W. David Rohwer) (06/27/91)

In article <145@wangintl.UUCP> gene@wangintl.UUCP (1263) writes:

>I am in need of information about UNIX for AMIGA.  Where can I
>purcahse? Which Amiga's? A1000? How much memory needed? and
>any other helpful hints

     I am thinking about upgrading to the Amiga 3000 from my Amiga 2500/30
through the Power-Up program, but I have some questions that need to be
answered.

     1) What is the difference between the 3000 and 3000UX models in terms
        of hardware (different mice? ethernet hardware? etc.?)

     2) Will Commodore make UNIX available for 3000 owners in the future?

          Thanks,
                 ++David

|   //  W. David Rohwer   //                                              |
| \X/       Go A's!     \X/            Internet: rohwerwd@netcom.COM      |

jsurace@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Jason A. Surace) (06/27/91)

  From discussions I've had with Commodore dealers, and looking
at demo models of the 3000UX, it seems to be that

a)the 3000UX is equipped with more memory and a bigger drive
     5/9 meg and 100/200 meg drive. Presumably this is for overhead.

b)there is a three button mouse for use with UNIX

c)eventually it is supposed to ship with the ULowell board, giving
    expanded megapixel color displays.

d)eventually it will be released for the regular 3000's, but in what
  form remains to be seen

note-the demo I've seen is in b&w (that's what's currently shipping)

                                                Jason Surace
                                           jsurace@iago.caltech.edu

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) (06/30/91)

$
$     1) What is the difference between the 3000 and 3000UX models in terms
$        of hardware (different mice? ethernet hardware? etc.?)
$
$     2) Will Commodore make UNIX available for 3000 owners in the future?
$
$          Thanks,
$                 ++David
$

Better yet, will the A2000 be capable of running Unix?  Wasn't sure, thought
only the 3K/3KUX could do it.

ADthanxVANCE.

* 		   *               The                * "Every motherf*cker  *
*  CHICAGO BULLS   *    Microcomputer & Workstation   *   with a color is    *
*    THE 1991       *        Networks Center         *    most wanted."      *
*       NBA         *      would have to PAY me      *	                     *
*     CHAMPZ!       *    to express any kind of an   *       - Ice Cube      *
* 		    *    opinion in their behalf.    *                       *

$| \X/       Go A's!     \X/            Internet: rohwerwd@netcom.COM      |
	   ^^^^^^^^^^^  Awwwww yeah another A's fan!! :-) :-)